Carrying Gadgets And Airport Security

garri

Two fellow cachers and me we will visit London exclusively for caching on august, a colleage told us that policemen of airport are doing strict inspections to people carrying gadgets in their luggage, and he saw how policemen had taking to pieces a ladtop of a tourist. I can't believe it at all, but i can understand him.

We are planning to carry 5 GPSr, Palm, Pocket PC, cameras, a ladtop and two PMR radios. Can anyone advice us for avoiding problems with airport security?

Edited by garri

In the last year I have flown from Newcastle (UK) to Tenerife, Palma and Geneva and back, each time carrying a dSLR, compact digicam, GPSr (with leads), iPAQ, mobile phone and 4 PMR's in my hand backage. Not once was my bag searched by hand.

I have no recent experience of travelling through London though, where I suspect your bag may be pulled to one side for a quick hand search.

Bon voyage

Sean

I regularly have to enter The Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament for those who confuse the bodies that occupy it with the building itself). Security has bene increaed enourmously this year well before the bombings (mainly because everyone is terrified of purple powder). like heathrow airport, everythign is x-rayed, and suspicious stuff you are asked to popen and show it is normal. No doubt one day someon wil lswitch on their camera or whatever and it will explode.

What they are looking for is battery powered devices with enough bulk to hold a useful amount of explosive. having seen the x-ray screens, a GPS or PDA will show the batteries, but will also show the electronics. There will be no room for explosives.

I always had far more trouble at Heathrow with a 35mm SLR camera than I have ever had with GPS or PDAs. They can see the body, they can see the batteries, but the lenses and film can look suspicious.

I've been stopped at both Southampton & Edinburgh airport because I had my Garmin iQue dash car mount in my briefcase! The 'bulk' in it's base causes it to 'show up' on the X-Ray machine and looks 'dodgy'. Everything was scrutinised, Garmin iQue, 60CS, Legend, digital camera, calculator, wallet, spare NiMi batteries, phone - you name it - they did a very thorough job (for which I'm very grateful). My briefcase was 'sniffed' for explosives on both occasions and I was allowed to proceed. I had no problem with this (and to ensure max time in BA exec lounge) I now put the car mount in my hold luggage. :rolleyes:

Edited by Motley Crew

I've flown in and out of the UK with GPSr laptop etc and only once had to do anything with them

I was asked "what is that?" pointing at the GPSr

I said "potable sat nav" (did not want to arouse his suspicions by saying I us it for looking for old ammo containers in wood land with it)

Reply "cool is it any good"

did not look at it any more did not turn it on

Just do as you are told and do not answer back and you will be fine. I can not beleive that any laptop computer has been taken to bits because they are an excepted travel item. HM Customs and Excise would be heading for a court case if they did that without good reason.

As Dave said; the most that is likely to happen is a switch on to prove it does what it should.

Hope you have a great time!

I was in Greece during the London bombings. Three days later I returned to Luton with a garmin etrek venture, a plam PDA and a digital camera in my luggage and nobody batted an eyelid. No problems at all went straight thru.

I reckon you'll be ok mate. Happy caching in London.

I did forget about the Leatherman in my rucksack though :o , gone to a good home in Canada

I know it's too late now, but if you get something confiscated while checking in you can ask for it to go in a "sharps" bin to be carried by the crew. This is then returned to you at your destination. It can be a bit of a kerfuffle but Leathermans and Gerbers don't come cheap.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Thanks for you replies.

My colelague will calm down now, he refused carrying his ladtop for getting pictures from cache pages that are not available in pq.

eMail me if you fancy a guide while in London

Thanks *bingoboy*, we probably consider accepting your offer :o

I had an expensive Swiss Army Knife confiscated last year - I hadn't realised it was inside an inner pocket in my hand baggage. Fair enough - but I was told that it was confiscated and couldn't be returned :) . At one time, they'd hang on to items for a period, and you could reclaim them the next time you visited the airport.

Mrs. Humphrey had her hand luggage inspected closely this week at Manchester airport - as a random check, apparently. Mine was full of electronic equipment and cables (as usual) and didn't cause a problem. It never does - why should it?

Loads of PDA's, radios, phones, Ipods, GPSr's and charging units are carried on planes every day. What's more, you can buy all that equipment after passing through security checks at the airport, so they can't really complain if you decide to take it with you!

HH

I did forget about the Leatherman in my rucksack though  :) , gone to a good home in Canada

Let me know if you want me to pick you one up when we are in the States next month. Don't want to go paying out for a new one at UK prices!!!

Si

Thanks for the offer, but I can probably survive without replacing it!

I had an expensive Swiss Army Knife confiscated last year - I hadn't realised it was inside an inner pocket in my hand baggage.

Been there, done it, t-shirt etc. Bernie is well known at Stansted now, nearly every time he is caught out with the Leatherman Micro tied to his jeans. Twice now it has been popped into a jiffy bag and mailed home from the security checks. W H Smiths welcome him as an old friend now....

NOTE TO TERRORISTS: Take a sharpened, deep frozen bananna! That will pass through. Avoid 1" blades and tweezers. They're not bothered by the penknife but the tweezer could be deadly!

...sorry, been drinking this pm - may be out of order, sarky limiter disabled.

We had a tour guide in Florida on a coach trip once, who said he nearly had a heart attack when a Brit asked for the first time if they had 'enough time to smoke a fag' on a toilet stop.

Bear in mind that 'smoking' someone is shooting them. He was about to explain to the gentleman concerned that they don't tolerate that kind of behaviour over there, when he realised what the chap meant.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger
Just to throw a spanner in the works - your PMR radios may well be illegal to use in the UK. Any radio people know the details?

In fact, you're unlikely to be stopped, but they would be able to confiscate them if you're on a disallowed band.

Cheers,

Stu

A good point, one worth making and checking out. I do think however that the European states have a pretty common policy when it comes to frequency allocations so I suspect they use the same channels. In fact, when I use mine in Spain, I'm constantly having to change channel to get a 'free' one, as they are used so much by the Spanish!

Also, I don't think they could confiscate them if they were on different channels. It may be illegal to use them, but not to own them.

Sean

In fact, when I use mine in Spain, I'm constantly having to change channel to get a 'free' one, as they are used so much by the Spanish!

Typical.............!!!

When I used to operate on the ... ahem... 27MHz AM sideband stuff :lol: it was wall to wall Spaniards and Italians.

HOW????

Phill has two - a Wave and the new Titanium thingy one, I think he finds a way of using them no matter what he does. Come in fantasically uselful whilst out caching though!

slight over reaction and bolting door once horse gone springs to mind.

Everytime I go through airport security and have to remove my shoes I think to myself 'the day some woman on a plane tries to set her bra on fire is the day I get a job with the TSA.'

"Sorry miss airport security, you'll have to remove that so I can inspect it. You understand it's for your own safety."

In fact, when I use mine in Spain, I'm constantly having to change channel to get a 'free' one, as they are used so much by the Spanish!

Typical.............!!!

When I used to operate on the ... ahem... 27MHz AM sideband stuff :lol: it was wall to wall Spaniards and Italians.

I have license for 144 Mhz and 432 Mhz, and i leave it, both bands are plenty of idiots annoying to Radio Ham operators here in Spain

Just to throw a spanner in the works - your PMR radios may well be illegal to use in the UK. Any radio people know the details?

In fact, you're unlikely to be stopped, but they would be able to confiscate them if you're on a disallowed band.

Cheers,

Stu

it has come to my notice tha that PMR band is also free license in UK, isn't it? So why are they able to confiscate my transceivers?

I would think the airport security folk have a lot more to worry about than whether a particular PMR in your possession transmits too much power and/or on an incorrect frequency :rolleyes:

There are a lot of web sites out there that tell you how to tweak various models of PMR and I doubt that the peeps at the Airport security stations have sufficient test equipment to prove that a PMR is either legal or illegal. They are on the lookout for far more sinister items :ph34r:.

HOW????

Phill has two - a Wave and the new Titanium thingy one, I think he finds a way of using them no matter what he does. Come in fantasically uselful whilst out caching though!

I usually go cacheing on the bike and my bike toolkit is sufficient!

been shown that the broken remains of a plastic spoon just as effective as any knife. so finger food from now on then?

Two glass wine bottles clacked together make a pair of viscious weapons which are far more lethal and threatening than the teenyweeny wee box-cutter knives with which the hijackers of 21/07/01 were armed.

For many years I've thought and said that the air transport industry worldwide should come to an agreement that all duty free purchases should be delivered to the passenger at the airport of arrival, not the airport of departure.

There are many reasons for this, including economics and air safety. The sheer weight of 400 passengers' duty free allowance of booze on a widebody airliner costs a vast amount of extra fuel when multiplied by the number of flights and when you take into account that on a long-haul flight it costs half a ton of fuel to carry an extra ton of fuel.

The fire-safety consideration of carrying hundreds of litres of highly flammable spirits in the plastic overhead bins of pax cabins alone should merit a complete ban on the carriage of DF in airliners.

Cheers, The Forester

licence-carrying frequent flyer

When I used to dash around the world as a commissioning engineer I would often have to turn up at an airport straight from a shipyard will all sorts of dodgy tools about my person.

Take for instance a radio and leatherman multi tool on my belt....rather than being confiscated, it used to be the case that you could request that the offending item be placed inside a big red security bag which the aircrew kept locked up. The items would be handed back as one leaves the aircraft.

I don't know if this practice is around today This was pre 9/11 era. It may have been the case I use used fly mostly BA business class and they extended special treatment.

Everytime I go through airport security and have to remove my shoes I think to myself 'the day some woman on a plane tries to set her bra on fire is the day I get a job with the TSA.'

"Sorry miss airport security, you'll have to remove that so I can inspect it. You understand it's for your own safety."

I hope the suicide bombers don't start getting ideas from the drug smugglers who swallow the stuff and let it pop out at the other end (of the journey or of them). :rolleyes:

Take for instance a radio and leatherman multi tool on my belt....rather than being confiscated, it used to be the case that you could request that the offending item be placed inside a big red security bag which the aircrew kept locked up. The items would be handed back as one leaves the aircraft.

Flying a private aircraft to attend a business meeting near a very large UK airport, I unwisely forgot to audit the contents of my copious briefcase before setting off. I flew from a small airport (Perth) and did not need to go through security.

Upon returning to my aircraft at the large airport, my forgotten Leatherman was confiscated by airport security who reassured me that the "knife" would be delivered to the safe custody of the Captian and that I would be able to get it back at the end of the flight.

My aircraft being a ickle one, I had been assigned a departure gate which did not have a jetway and so I needed to be driven to the aircraft on the apron. The guy who drove me there waited until we had arrived at the aircraft before presenting me with my own knife in a nice new Jiffy bag and wishing me a safe flight.

I don't think anyone claims that airport "security" makes sense!