Really Strange Question..

kc2ixe

Yes, For enough money you can have most anything you want.

It would not likely be geodetic, nor be an official NGS Marker but you can have a brass disc monumented. You could even have your own custom Marker commissioned. I doubt you would want to go full on Geodetic quality as you would not want to pay the bill and there is nothing to warrant that NGS would accept the station, But you sure could have one it you like. Just open your wallet and a Survey/Engineering firm will gladly take that money from you in exchange for your business.

Phone a few and ask them what they would charge you for this.

Rob

Edited by evenfall
Yes, For enough money you can have most anything you want.

It would not likely be geodetic, nor be an official NGS Marker but you can have a brass disc monumented. You could even have your own custom Marker commissioned. I doubt you would want to go full on Geodetic quality as you would not want to pay the bill and there is nothing to warrant that NGS would accept the station, But you sure could have one it you like. Just open your wallet and a Survey/Engineering firm will gladly take that money from you in exchange for your business.

Phone a few and ask them what they would charge you for this.

Rob

And then let us know here in the forums. Surely someone else would be interested in knowing at least the price.

A few weeks ago, one of you here on these forums, (I'm Sorry! I can't remember who!!), (make sure whoever you are that you jump in here and take the credit due to you), led me to this site where you could get your own disk and mount it yourself:

Mount your own disk

I contacted them. They had made a limited run of 50 and were out. They told me if there was enough interest they would make another run and let me know.

Check around on this site a bit....it includes mounting instructions.

So come on everybody ! Contact them. Let them know we are interested ! Let's get another run manufactured.

Edited by Spoo

I'm not in the business, so these are wild guesses, but I'd estimate that if you find a shop to turn a chunk of brass or bronze to a nice shape, you stamp it and install it, and have it surveyed to better precision than your handheld GPS, you might be out several hundred to $1000.

Getting a nice casting instead of hand stamping it all would add significantly.

If you want it installed and documented in a way the NGS might accept for listing, you would have to be in the neighborhood of $10K.

Anybody with better info?

Goggle for "Dewberry Davis", an engineering firm which sets benchmarks to a standard accepted by NGS for inclusion in the data base. (See NGS data base for DG4267 and other North Carolina stations set in June, 2003.)

This organization could give you the cost for establishing a mark with high accuracy, and probably could refer you to an organization in your area.

-Paul-

You folks should be aware you don't have to machine one. You can buy Brass or Aluminum ones from the same place surveyers do: Bernsten's

Aluminum ones start at $10.49 for single qty, plus shipping. They'll stamp it to your specifications also, for a fee. Or - I have a set of letter & number stamp punches at work, I can use. I gotta do this someday.....

Now getting it suveyed to accuracy better than your handheld is another matter.....

Been to an REI lately? GREAT outdoors store. Most of the ones in SoCal have a survey marker ("REI" is the marker name, of course) in front of the store. I think I have a picture somewhere.....

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

If you own a typical lot you already have 4 survey pins marking the property corners. These typically don't survive when people build their fence.

Any company can set a benchmark. The Property pins have some use because they are described on the plat that laid out your subdivision and described your property (assuming you live in a subdivision).

The more accurate you want your benchmark the more you are going to pay. They could whip out a GPS located disk in a couple of hours and it should set you back less than 500 bucks.

Edit: The Differentially Corrected GPSs the surveyors use have much greater accuracy than the ones we use for geocaching.

Edited by Renegade Knight

They could set a mark on your land and have the postiion fixed to within 2cm in one day. Observe with GPS for *5.5 hrs, process using NGS OPUS and you would have a mark as accuracte as any First order station in the NGS db, it just would not be official because no paperwork could be sent in (unless official sanctioned project).

How much would it cost you, 8 hrs work. But good luck finding a surveyor who would take on a job like this. If we did and you let us come on the land anytime to use it, no cost.

5.5 hrs gives you more than enough data fo tracking as many SV's as you can and thus offer a high presision result. We have done this many times using at least 3 different sets of 5.5 hr obs on different days and they all come out within 1-2 cms or less. You could get it done using less time btu we chose 5.5 hrs as thats was NGS obs times for HARNS.

Edited by Z15

Actually, the new NGS product OPUS DB may make it easier than ever before to get marks included in the NGS database. The pruduct is still in testing right now, but keep your eyes open. You might be able to go your little disc in the front yard in there sooner than you think.

-Casey-

Thanks guys - like I said - not that I have the $$$ or $$$$ to do it. As for survey teams coming on my (small) property to use a mark - sure - I don't care - heck, probably even make them a cup of coffee if I'm home (and let'm use the head)

Actually, the new NGS product OPUS DB may make it easier than ever before to get marks included in the NGS database. The pruduct is still in testing right now, but keep your eyes open. You might be able to go your little disc in the front yard in there sooner than you think.

-Casey-

You could pin down a lot more of the vertical control with this. When I was working, I used any NGS or USGS BM I could find that was GPS open and had at least 2 and often 3 OPUS solutions for it, to use in our RTK work fo highway planning. I must have positioned a couple dozen BM's and often wished there was a way to share that data.

NGS software will only process dual-frequency, carrier-phase data (L1 & L2).  Single frequency data (L1 only) will not be processed.  You may only submit data from a dual-frequency receiver.  The data must have been collected for a minimum of 2 hours and from a stationary antenna.