Be Nice To Nettles Week

Heard that in Australia there is a rare giant nettle species that lurks in the deep jungles of Queensland that apparently is strong enough to kill humans....at least the caches wont get muggled...didnt believe this till I saw a programme with David Attenborough pointing gingerly to one and explaining what it did :rolleyes:

Nettle wine anyone...? :lol:

An 'informative' cacher recently told me that one can actually 'stroke' a nettle without getting stung.

I tentatively tried this last week - and it's true!

Jon

My primary school teacher took the entire upper school outside on a sunny day and showed us how to grab nettles and pick them without getting stung, it worked much to our surprise :rolleyes:

An 'informative' cacher recently told me that one can actually 'stroke' a nettle without getting stung.

Jon

My primary school teacher took the entire upper school outside on a sunny day and showed us how to grab nettles and pick them without getting stung, it worked much to our surprise :o

Yeah I tried that when I was a kid, must have had bad technique :blink:

Jon

Went out caching last night and had the oppotunity to put stroking nettles to the test.

They didn't like it - they stung me :lol: I was only trying to be nice to them :lol:

I had always thought that if you took hold of them firmly (hence the espression "grasp the nettle") you would be okay. It works for nettle leaves anyhow, not too sure about nettle stems... and then again, although I used to do this when I was a kid, I am less inclined to try again now... oh how we become risk averse when we are older... :lol:

The trick on not getting stuck by a nettle leaf and you want handle one is to actually get your thumb and forefinger in a picer like grip, and with thumb at the base of the leaf and finger at the top, press down onto the said leaf you want inspect and sharply tug it away from the stem.

I am not saying you wont get stung by the leaves above the one you are tugging at but it does work. :lol: