Thanks For The Earthe-cache.....

Just did my first earthcache on a trip to finally get #200 and was thickly disappointed. The coordinates took us to man-made structure in a field with a modest bluff overlooking the river. The cache supposedly memorializes a large 9000 sq mile region but this spot is a very poor representation of the area. Pretty lame. Seems like an excuse to bring back virtual caches with no point. Seems to me that there should be some better and tighter criteria for earthcaches and they should certainly be much more location specific than this one is. I hope many of the other earthcaches out there are MUCH better or I won't bother with them. Just my 2 cents.....

Seems like an excuse to bring back virtual caches with no point. Seems to me that there should be some better and tighter criteria for earthcaches and they should certainly be much more location specific than this one is. I hope many of the other earthcaches out there are MUCH better or I won't bother with them. Just my 2 cents.....

Whether or not submitters may be utilizing earthcache submissions to "end around" the restriction on virtuals, the earthcache is a good outreach to the GSA and has criteria established that makes for a good geological find.

My point is simply that earthcaches are not designed as an excuse to bring back boring virtuals.

Did you even read the description on the cache page before you went?

What are the Sandhills?

The Nebraska Sandhills is a unique area, both in size and appearance. Native grassland covers 19,600 square miles of wind-deposited sand dunes. Its geology makes the area rich for wildlife, water and ranching.

The Land

19,600 square miles Largest sand dune formation in America 95% grassland 1.3 million acres of wetlands 1 billion acre-feet of groundwater 2.4 million acre-feet of spring-fed stream flow discharged annually

Landscape Ecology

The Sandhills Habitat Program is an ecosystem management approach based...

Sounds like you were to look for a small hill of sand covered in grass in the midwest. Were you expecting to find something else? I agree it isn't very interesting unless you are in to geology. But, isn't geology what earth caches are all about?

...Sounds like you were to look for a small hill of sand covered in grass in the midwest. Were you expecting to find something else? I agree it isn't very interesting unless you are in to geology. But, isn't geology what earth caches are all about?

So true. Not every earth cache can be on a boat floating in a caldera of lava on top of a volcano. Oh but that would be one cool cache.

Not every Earthcache will appeal to every person. Just like micros don't appeal to some. There are many landmarks and tourist attractions that have a very limited appeal. Making a useful log entry will, of course, help the next visitors to make a more informed decision about whether or not to do this cache. You may find some Earthcaches very interesting. :rolleyes:

Did you even read the description on the cache page before you went?

Actually, I live here, in the sandhills. That is why I know that this is so inappropriate. Especially this particular point. It is a manmade object. The description is for an area over 100 miles from listed coordinates. Like I said - a very poor representation of the area. Maybe I wasn't clear on that point.

Take the same description and move it to a place where you actually see sandhills and it would be much better. Here is nothing but a man made object and a bluff overlooking the river valley - hardly repersenative of the sandhills.

When I first read your forum comments and went to look at the cache in question, I thought you were being much too harsh--that particular stretch of I-80 was the first exposure my husband had to the Sandhill Crane migration, which fascinated him so much that he looked up the information on the wetland area.

I looked at the area on various maps, and while the earthcache location is technically in the southern reach of the center of the Sandhills, a better choice for and earthcache showing off the Sandhills would probably have been located somewhere US Highway 2 between Grand Island and Alliance Sandhills Scenic Byway.

If I were to have listed the earthcache in the spot that you visited, I would have connected it to the Oglalla Aquifer somehow. (By the way, if you list this as an Earthcache, I want my name on the listing, too! :rolleyes: )

I am still troubled by the way you raised your concern by casting dispersion on the entire genre. I can tell that you are disappointed, but while this may not have been the best choice of location for the listing at this time of year, during the Sandhill Crane migration season, the cranes can be seen by the thousands from I-80, and will attract travelers to seek out this cache and learn more about the unique ecosystem. The folks who listed the cache state that they became familiar with the Sandhills on travels through the area and actually suggest taking sidetrips to see more of the diverse features of the landscape. Since the ecosystem is so extensive there will be lots of opportunity to enrich the lisiting by adding good places to visit.

The two earthcaches that I visited Falls of the Ohio Devonian Fossil Beds Lost River- Welsey Chapel Gulf (and the one that I just missed) Prehistoric Continental Divide were very well located and extremely appropriate.

As for the man-made object being the focus, it isn't really, but you have to be able to prove that you visited the earthcache area, and with such a large geological feature a man-made feature probably works best.

100 mile detour for a cache is one most people would probably not make. While there may be better examples further away this may have been the best example closest to the interstate.

Seems to me this was a way to give a cacher a good place along a major highway to break up their travels and share something that was special to the person placing the cache.

Earthcache!

Wow I bet the owner really enjoyed your log when he read it, you totally bombed his cache. I would never tell the owner that I didnt like the cache in the log, you should email him your comments. If I were the owner I would delete your log and ask that you log it over.

No way! If people don't like one of my caches I want them to log it as such. If all we wrote were good things in logs how would others know if the cache is any good or not? It's a log of all our experiences not just the good experiences. If you're afraid of bad logs don't put out bad caches.

Back on topic. It seems people are putting out mundane earthcaches just like they were doing with the virtuals. Oh well, I don't bother with them anyway.

Earthcache!

Wow I bet the owner really enjoyed your log when he read it, you totally bombed his cache. I would never tell the owner that I didnt like the cache in the log, you should email him your comments. If I were the owner I would delete your log and ask that you log it over.

No way! If people don't like one of my caches I want them to log it as such. If all we wrote were good things in logs how would others know if the cache is any good or not? It's a log of all our experiences not just the good experiences. If you're afraid of bad logs don't put out bad caches.

Back on topic. It seems people are putting out mundane earthcaches just like they were doing with the virtuals. Oh well, I don't bother with them anyway.

I don't think this was a "mundane" Earthcache. The cache owner gave a great description and suggested more exploration of the area.

I think you can make of Earthcaches what you want to. I haven't done one yet, but a local cacher did one and was "surprised" how much fun an Earthcache could be.

When I first read your forum comments and went to look at the cache in question, I thought you were being much too harsh--that particular stretch of I-80 was the first exposure my husband had to the Sandhill Crane migration, which fascinated him so much that he looked up the information on the wetland area.

I looked at the area on various maps, and while the earthcache location is technically in the southern reach of the center of the Sandhills, a better choice for and earthcache showing off the Sandhills would probably have been located somewhere US Highway 2 between Grand Island and Alliance Sandhills Scenic Byway.

If I were to have listed the earthcache in the spot that you visited, I would have connected it to the Oglalla Aquifer somehow. (By the way, if you list this as an Earthcache, I want my name on the listing, too!  :rolleyes: )

I am still troubled by the way you raised your concern by casting dispersion on the entire genre. I can tell that you are disappointed, but while this may not have been the best choice of location for the listing at this time of year, during the Sandhill Crane migration season, the cranes can be seen by the thousands from I-80, and will attract travelers to seek out this cache and learn more about the unique ecosystem. The folks who listed the cache state that they became familiar with the Sandhills on travels through the area and actually suggest taking sidetrips to see more of the diverse features of the landscape. Since the ecosystem is so extensive there will be lots of opportunity to enrich the lisiting by adding good places to visit.

The two earthcaches that I visited Falls of the Ohio Devonian Fossil Beds                  Lost River- Welsey Chapel Gulf  (and the one that I just missed) Prehistoric Continental Divide  were very well located and extremely appropriate.

As for the man-made object being the focus, it isn't really, but you have to be able to prove that you visited the earthcache area, and with such a large geological feature a man-made feature probably works best.

Just for a little perspective:

I added the red text arrow and marks. Taken from: This Site:

sandhillsmap.jpg

The crane's migration stop along the Platte River is a separate thing from the geologic area known as the sandhills. (And a most spectacular sight!!)

I'll admit that I was initially against Earthcaches, but have changed my mindset about them. I now own two of them.

This was my first one:

Here Ore There Earthcache

And this weekend I had someone drive 10 hours just to log it... after all, how often do you get to visit an asteroid crater in Alabama :rolleyes: :

Asteroids - Not the 80's Video Game Earthcache

I'm sure there are some lame Earthcaches, but I do think they do serve a purpose and many of 'em really are educational.

100 mile detour for a cache is one most people would probably not make. While there may be better examples further away this may have been the best example closest to the interstate.

We've done one Earthcache. "Rock In" Down the Highway

It took us two days and 376 miles to visit ten sites in the five geological areas of New Jersey. We loved it. (Well, except when the car got stuck in the sand...)

The crane's migration stop along the Platte River is a separate thing from the geologic area known as the sandhills. (And a most spectacular sight!!)

Please do not twist my words. The crane migration in the Grand Island to Kerney area is well-publicized, but it is hardly the only area of the state of Nebraska birds use as their migration path. In fact, the park that you mentioned in one of your earlier posts mentions the cranes, and some areas of the state list sightings of as many as 200 species of birds in conservancy or naturalized areas.

My point was that the I-80 corridor was an area that allows travellers to notice the birds, and might cause them to become curious about the habitat that would attract the birds. Birds with up to a 7-foot wingspan tend to attract attention wherever they may be seen.

The map of the state forest area that you provide demonstrates nicely that the earthcache is located in the Sandhills region and along I-80.

An earthcache teaches you something about Geology.

Here is one I hope to get to in the next week or so.

Tufa Towers.

I suppose you could treat it like a "Virtual" and just provide the information required, but since these areas are unique, it is a wonderful opportunity to explore something unique and really learn something.

Since when does an Earthcache have to be close to an interstate? I don't think the point of finding suitable Earthcache locations is whether they're accessible to Joe Truck as he's speeding downt he highway.

100 mile detour for a cache is one most people would probably not make.  While there may be better examples further away this may have been the best example closest to the interstate.

Since when does an Earthcache have to be close to an interstate? I don't think the point of finding suitable Earthcache locations is whether they're accessible to Joe Truck as he's speeding downt he highway.

It doesn't have to be next to an interstate. This is a case where the edumacation part can be met and be closer to the interstate.

There is no reason that an earthcache (or any other cache) needs to be near a highway---but by the same token, there is no reason that they need to be a two-day hike into the boonies, either.

The Falls of the Ohio earthcache that I mentioned earlier in this thread is across the river from downtown Louisville, KY, just off the last I-65 Indiana exit.

The Prehistoric Continental Divide is in a suburb of Chicago.

The Lost River cache is off a small farm road in an Amish community in rural Harrison co, Indiana.

Since they are geological features, it isn't like you have much choice where the cords take you in most cases. In the case of the earthcache this thread is about, I agreed with the OP that I might not have selected those cords to try to show off the Sandhill area, which as a huge geologic feature that covers at least a third of the state of Nebraska. But there really isn't any reason that it shouldn't be where it is located. It makes it handy indeed for people (like my beloved hard-working husband, the truck driver,) to be able to see nice caches while he works to haul goods to distant locations in the nation.

I doubt that you'd find my Earthcache exciting.  I've just finished it and it's being reviewed by some friends before it's submitted.  Please don't come to New Orleans to check it out; much less, log your find.

Hey BillsBayou - what were you planning your earthcache around? - I was think of doing one based on the Davis Crevasse/Davis Pond Freshwater Diversion Project between Ama and Luling - one of the largest army corps of engineers projects ever. Wasn't sure it would qualify, though. Figure I'd ask before I did any work on it.

I also visited the Sandhills earthcache but my experience was a bit different. We got off of I-80 there on our way back to Nebraska from the west coast. We actually missed the man made structure on the first pass believe it or not. I was engrossed reading the text to my husband while we were looking out the windows at the land. (We had to turn around to make sure of the structure) I have lived in the Sandhills area for four years and never really understood the geologic importance of the area. I did wonder if the sandhills were that far south, but no matter as we were headed northeast on some of the roads the cache owner encourages you to travel. The 80-mile drive home from North Platte to Broken Bow is all back roads through these sandhills. This turned into an hour-long discussion between my husband and I about this area and what we were learning. We noticed the untouched areas, the naturally farmed areas and the irrigated fertilized areas. I am not sure where the best place was for a sandhills earthcache is but for newer Nebraska resident, it taught me many things. Hopefully now on my trips into “civilization” I will appreciate the beauty and importance of the 80 miles of back roads!

I have read and considered the many posts to this thread. I was trying not to be specific about the particular earthcache I visited but it came up anyway. No disrespect to the owner/author of this particular cache, I just feel that it is misplaced and not a worthy example of the area described. It can be easily done at 65MPH before you return the 2 miles to the Interstate and skip the region. That is my concern. I thank everybody for the opinons expressed here. Most have written in firm defense of the cache and I can respect that. I guess that is what my original post was all about - getting opinions on this type and location for an earthcache. You have spoken loudly and clearly. Now I know what to expect from an earthcache.

My conclusion --- I don't care to visit any further earthcaches. I will make use of the ignore feature. Thanks again.....

:o

From the cache description, it looks like the owner was suggesting the "man-made object" as a jumping-off point for exploration of the area, should you choose to do so. Conversely, you could do as the OP did...show up, meet the minimum requirements to log a find, then leave. Either way is OK, that's the beauty of this magnificent obsession.

My conclusion --- I don't care to visit any further earthcaches. I will make use of the ignore feature. Thanks again.....

That's really too bad. One of the Earthcaches I've done is at the Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs. A wonderful place, by ignoring all earthcaches you will be denying yourself of some very interesting places to visit and opportunities to learn something. But that is your choice.

:blink:

I don't understand why you would do this. :o Earthcaches are like any other cache: traditional, virtual, etc. They are only as good as the hider makes them.

Just because you didn't like the one earthcache that you went to, why do you assume that you won't like every single other one out there? This just doesn't seem logical. :o

My conclusion --- I don't care to visit any further earthcaches.  I will make use of the ignore feature. Thanks again.....

:o

I don't understand why you would do this. :o Earthcaches are like any other cache: traditional, virtual, etc. They are only as good as the hider makes them.

Just because you didn't like the one earthcache that you went to, why do you assume that you won't like every single other one out there? This just doesn't seem logical. :blink:

In the case of an Earthcache, I think it is probably not related as much to the "hider" as it is to the "finder." :o

This is somewhat off the topic.....

I have an existing virtual cache that is a geological feature.

Is it possible and/or appropriate to reclassify this virtual cache as an Earth cache (assuming it meets all the requirements)?

I would venture to guess that the answer to that is "yes"---

Two of the three earthcaches that I have been too were located near existing caches that were originally designed to bring the viewer to the area to experience the geologic feature. Since the earthcache listing is a seperate entity from the geocache, the original caches remain there as well.

If the earthcache were approved you could disable your original cache if you felt it was too close, or that it served the same purpose and didn't want to duplicate the same experience.

Hi all

As the Earthcache Master (a term that describes me I guess...but not one i really like)...this forum has been a very interesting read...and I have learnt some lessons from all your comments...so many thanks!

It is so great to know that Earthcaches are providing people with a worthwhile experience.....thats what they are all about. Also, I realize and appreciate that Earthcaches are not for all people. Thats fine too. I just hope that people will at least give them a go. From reading the 2,800 odd logs from visitors to Earthcaches it does seem that most people have had a worthwhile experience from their visit.

Earthcaches do go thru an approval process which is really a check of how appropriate the notes are (do they teach a lesson?, are they written so a layperson can understand them?, are they scientifically accurate? etc). We reject about 40% in the first past cause they do not meet these guidelines (which are listed at www.earthcache.org). Most developers then resubmit with updated notes etc.

We are noticing that some people want us to approve sites that are just pretty views. These are rejected.

We have worked hard with National Parks and the Foreset Service in the USA to open up these lands to Earthcaches as well (they are now very supportive of Earthcaches). We are going to continue to work with land holders who currently have "closed their doors" to caching to try and get approval for Earthcaches to be used on their lands as well.

When a person visits an Earthcache and finds an issue with it, its is great is they can send me a note and let me know. In this case that is what has happened (so thanks!). Its also really importnat that they contact the owner so that the issue can be addressed by them as well.

Like all things, Earthcaches are a learning process for us all. Over time we are getting better at the process, which makes it better for all. So again, thanks for the feedback - its all good stuff!

Gary

(Geoaware)

Ok Ok - So I am hasty and ill mannered

Sorry all.

Through an interesting chain of events, the owner VERY graciously transferred ownership of this cache to me and the folks over at Earthcache approve of plans for it.

Now I (gulp) have the resposibility to make it all I wanted it to be in the first place.

(now remembering something about being careful what you wish for........)

Ok Ok - So I am hasty and ill mannered

Sorry all.

Through an interesting chain of events, the owner VERY graciously transferred ownership of this cache to me and the folks over at Earthcache approve of plans for it.

Now I (gulp) have the resposibility to make it all I wanted it to be in the first place.

(now remembering something about being careful what you wish for........)

I find this a very interesting thread as I have done this earthcache and live close by. I feel exactly the way Starbrand felt on this cache. This was one of the more disapointing caches I have done. As stated it is no more than a large manmade object along the hi-way that could be seen as you drive by at 65 MPH. No real representation of the sandhills. No place to stop along the road w/ the exception of a small drive with a gate on it.

I was shocked to see Starbrand adopted this cache after reading his log. (I have been watching this cache to see how other cachers reacted to it and logged it)I am looking forward to what Starbrand has in mind for this cache. As he says it really need to be moved NE to a better location.

Good luck StarBrand looking forward to see what you do with this one.