Id A Benchmark Eroded

Pioneer 'n' Tiff

Unfortunately whilst out cache hunting I stumbled across two benchmarks. One is completely obliterated and rusted remnants remain. The other, 2 feet away, appears to be a replacement mark for the obliterated mark. Unfortunately, I had one of those days where I left the house without a camera.

The replacement mark is a disk mounted on a concrete post. However, it has been worn down by the elements.

The outer inscription visable on the survery Disk is "DCO Eng Dept Survey Mon 19." There inner inscription appears to reads "RIN 27" although the letter 'R' is worn.

Survey mark is located close to cache GCN8N6 but when I click on the benchmark link I don't get anything close that resembles the benchmark.

Benchmark Listings

This doesn't resemble the normal benchmarks I've located, I believe I need a hand with other databases trying to ID this. Suggestions please.

Edit for some shocking typing.

Edited by Pioneer 'n' Tiff

I would think that it is a San Diego County Surveyor's monument. The County Surveyor and/or Engineering Department would probably have more information about it for you.

Looking at your benchmark list, the mark you found does not match any of the nearby benchmark descriptions. While it is a survey mark, it is not logable on the Geocaching.com website.

- Kewaneh

Pioneer 'n' Tiff -

I'm a new arrival into the USA and trying to decipher the "language barrier" is sometimes frustrating.

In that case, be sure to read this highly amusing site: http://www.aussieinamerica.com/

There are so many different governmental and commercial entities and thier subcontractors setting these marks, it's very difficult to know about all of them.