Is It Just Me

Jhwk

Just got my first, first to find this weekend. Spent two weeks culling the new sites in Missouri. Most of them were 100+ miles away, and I have a job that doesn't allow me to disappear on any given day. Worked my tail off to get up bright and early on Saturday, drive to the site, and hump in to find it first (2/4 and they weren't kidding about the 4). Then I found this on another thread

First to find

maybe it's just me, but this seems a little sad... B)

Congratulations on the FTF!!

Getting lots of FTFs is only for a certain "breed" of people. One local guy got a FTF on two of my new caches at 12:30 am on a moonless night . . . B)

One was enough for me, maybe one will be enough for you too. B)

I got a first to find. If you're friends with the hider it's fun to get one. I think it's better to get a "lonely" cache, one that hasn't been found in a few months. That shows it's harder to find so you exert a little bit more effort to find.

I don't think it's sad. Everyone gets something personal out of this sport. Almost everyone uses some kind of 3rd party utility to get the most out of it...tailoring their software to their needs. If FTF hounds (and I don't mean that negatively) want to be more organized to that end...more power to them.

Personally, I could care less if I'm FTF or LTF. I'm just happy to FAA (Find At All) B)

The automatic notification programs don't bother me much either.

Our first two were "just chance" --I just happened to be looking to see what was near us when they popped up. The third one was NOT chance. It was a fairly tough puzzle, but I was able to decode on a Wednesday, and then I had to wait until Saturday until we could go together to find it.

I don't have ftf fever, but somehow, knowing that the other folks use automatic features to learn about the new caches makes it all the sweeter (to me) when it does happen that I am ftf.

Very cool program. I do the same manually with a PQ so I would probably use it but it seems to violate the Terms of Use:

5. Access and Interference

Much of the information on the Site is updated on a real time basis and is proprietary or is licensed to Groundspeak by our users or third parties. You agree that you will not use any robot, spider, scraper or other automated means to access the Site for any purpose without our express written permission. Additionally, you agree that you will not: (a) take any action that imposes, or may impose in our sole discretion an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on our infrastructure; or (B) interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper working of the Site or any activities conducted on the Site or other measures we may use to prevent or restrict access to the Site.

Here is my recipe for for FTF. Live in an area that has active cachers, and find caches to and from work. I have logged most of my 70 FTFs on my way to work.

I have found almost every cache within a 30 mile radius, so any new caches are on the first page of my nearest, unfound caches.

Occasionaly someone else beats me to FTF, and I don't really care. I like to find caches, and if I find it first, good for me.

Except for two pairs of unused travel bug tags, and a gift certificate, I have not received any bonus points for logging FTFs.

We have a good local caching community, but I've even seen it where an out-of-towner gets a FTF if the rest of us just don't get to it.

I've also cleared out everything except a few special local caches, so when I get out caching it IS ONLY for new caches, probably placed by someone who won't be competing against me for the FTF! - Just looking back, I got 1 on 6/12 (no one else has found it since), 1 on 6/22, 1 on 6/25, I got 3 on 7/2, 3 on 7/3, 5 on 7/10 - of course a lot of people were staying in since we were feeling a little bit of hurricane Dennis.

No idea how many FTFs I have total.

What I like about FTFs is that you have the highest likelihood that the cache is placed exactly as the hider planned the hunt to be - no worries about container not being properly closed, camo not being exactly the same, container in the open, etc.

What I like about FTFs is that you have the highest likelihood that the cache is placed exactly as the hider planned the hunt to be - no worries about container not being properly closed, camo not being exactly the same, container in the open, etc.

Then again, FTFers are "Cache Beta Testers". Are the coordinates correct, is the cache placed according to guidelines, is the area scary at night, are there mean dogs around? FTFers get to answer those questions for the other local cachers. Plus there aren't any "geo-trails" to follow. :o

Then again, FTFers are "Cache Beta Testers". Are the coordinates correct, is the cache  placed according to guidelines, is the area scary at night, are there mean dogs around? FTFers get to answer those questions for the other local cachers. Plus there aren't any "geo-trails" to follow.  :o

Yup - all that too!

I don't try very hard to get FTF, but if a new cache appears right in my backyard, I will make the attempt. Last night after reading this thread, I downloaded the "First to Find" utility, and gave it a try. I was amazed to see a new cache only two miles from my house. I drove out there, but did not get FTF. It got me out of the house though, and it was fun.