Second Degree Caching?

B) So my actual "getting smilies" at the GeoBash didn't happen with CarleenP or Cybret, or Keystone, or any of those "First Degree" cachers who have actually found a cache in the company of Jeremy. It's a distinction I would like to collect someday. We were at the same event, and we'll all log it..... but I guess it doesn't really qualify? B) Edited by Robespierre

Jeremy is just another run of the mill GeoCacher, who owns all rights of the word. Do think any less of yourself as a cacher because you haven't cached with him, regardless of his status. I would much rather cache with Sir Tenzing Norgay or Edmund Hillary. Your "status-quote" should have nothing to do with who you have cached with, or even how many caches you have found, but by how much fun you have caching and how much general knowledge you have of hiking, geocaching, and "neat" places to go.

Edited by Team AlphaOmega
Jeremy is just another run of the mill GeoCacher, who owns all rights of the word. Do think any less of yourself as a cacher because you haven't cached with him, regardless of his status. I would much rather cache with Sir Tenzing Norgay or Edmund Hillary. Your "status-quote" should have nothing to do with who you have cached with, or even how many caches you have found, but by how much fun you have caching and how much general knowledge you have of hiking, geocaching, and "neat" places to go.

Don't presume to tell my friend how he can or cannot have fun. I enjoyed finally meeting him at the GeoBash. Maybe after you've found a few more geocaches and met a few more geocachers, you'll come to realize that the community aspect of geocaching is an important part of the fun. But hey, in the meantime, just keep trash talking.

I have cached with a half dozen or more people who have actually cached with Jeremy. I feel special. B)

Jeremy is just another run of the mill GeoCacher, who owns all rights of the word.

That's not entirely correct; he doesn't own all the rights to the word (or world, if that's what you meant). B) B)

He didn't say that he thought any less of himself as a cacher.

He was referring to a statistical oddity that is based on how many people are between you and anyone else in the world.

Personally, I would like to meet Jeremy someday. Not because it might improve my status in the geocaching community, but for the same reason that I will go to a local musician after a concert, or a naturalist after a lecture: To thank them for their work and tell them how much I appreciate it.

dogbreathcanada 

Posted: Jul 17 2005, 07:42 PM

(Robespierre @ Jul 17 2005, 03:39 PM)

... any of those "First Degree" cachers who have actually found a cache in the company of Jeremy.

Is that a high-honour? He's just a dude that runs a website. I wasn't aware he had god status.

I already know God (Phil. 3:10), and I met a lot of the Cheerios the other day and I met Keystone briefly....... so, .... yeah! I guess Jeremy is next. (I would really have liked to meet Johnny Carson, and he was just a guy with a good sense of humor who didn't want a "real job.") B)

My point was this, your "degree" in geocaching (ie first, second) has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with who you have cached with or how many you have found. I think a person who has a broader knowledge base of hiking, local history of where you caching, etc. is a geocacher who is more "experienced". I really do not think any less of a cacher with 2 finds as opposed to a person with 2,000 and who has cached with the geocaching "Hall of Famers" , if you will, geocaching is very meticulate in the aspect that "numbers" have nothing to do with how great of a cacher you are. Hopefully, I emphasized the point I wanted to make before this time. :rolleyes:

One of these days, I'm going to create a thread with nothing but the Blatant Jackassery postings of Team Alpha Omega. This post as well as Micros are like the AIDS virus posts come to mind.

Back to the topic at hand, I have went caching with the cachers who is ranked number #3 in the world based on the number of found caches. Does that qualify for anything? I would be honored to meet Jeremy, just to thank him for the hundreds of hours of fun that his website has given me.

. . . I would be honored to meet Jeremy, just to thank him for the hundreds of hours of fun that his website has given me.

I would too. Everytime I am out on a very long walk in search of, or returning from, a cache, I want to say over and over again, "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You." to everyone, and especially Jeremy, who makes this activity possible.

. . .  I would be honored to meet Jeremy, just to thank him for the hundreds of hours of fun that his website has given me.

I would too. Everytime I am out on a very long walk in search of, or returning from, a cache, I want to say over and over again, "Thank You, Thank You, Thank You." to everyone, and especially Jeremy, who makes this activity possible.

Don't get me wrong, Jeremy is definately a person I would like to meet. My point before I realized the levels were actually "association" rather than "rank", was that a cacher is ranked more upon other things. Jeremy must be awesome, because he invested in a prime sport right here. Thanks alot Kit Fox! :o

One of these days, I'm going to create a thread with nothing but the Blatant Jackassery postings of Team Alpha Omega. This post as well as Micros are like the AIDS virus posts come to mind.

:blink: You should definately start that thread. I'll back you up 100%, just to see the responses. :o