Pet Peeves Of Caching

:blink: Today I decided to go caching by myself in an area that I was unfamiliar with. Usually Martin drives and I navigate. Without the help of Tomtom (some of do use real maps) I followed the road signs towards the nearest town to my goal...All of a sudden I am at a T-Junction with several cars behind me, no place to pull over and NO blinking road signs

Needless to say, I turned the wrong way and by the time I found a road sign telling me where I was headed i was closer to home than to the cache :huh:

This is not the first time it has happened and I have never gotten back to the other cache site either.

To go out and buy a navigational system for occassional use just isn't worth the cost, so my Peeve is with the councils who do not mark T-Junctions.

What is yours?

Rubbish, pointless, idiotic, pathetic and above all unhelpful 'hints' on supposedly easy caches.

:D:P:PB):blink::D:D:huh::oB):(:P:P:):)

ps. If it's a puzzle cache or a 3-5 star difficulty then that's a different matter. B)

Oh, and people who take offense too easily. :D

Or ones in latin, we don't carry a plant latin to common name dictionary with us to help us identify a particular tree/plant that the cache is apparently hidden under.

Our pet peeve: co-ordinates that are so way out they might as well be on another planet. :D

Don't think we have any other pet peeves. If people have loads of pet peeves would they really continue on geocaching?

Team Maddie. We don't have any expensive nav systems but we do carry road atlases and they are invaluable. Also, we have our GPS switched on all the time in the car (and have done long before we started geocaching). At a non-signposted junction a glance at the GPS will invariably suggest the best way to turn.

What is beginning to nark us about geocaching is the number of TB owners who do not mark their bugs with any form of ID. It's dead easy to use a permanent marked and write the name on the dog tag so why don't people do it?

1) Tomtom deciding that my Mondeo is going greenlaning, whether I like it or not.

2) Black smelly, clammy bin liners

3) Midges

4) Wrong quiz answers at meets B) B)

5) TBs with no mission attached

6) Hopeless hints ("It's under a stone" in a disused quary springs to mind)

Crap caches.

Mostly those placed under the only tree cover for miles where better places are so abundant they abound!

Crap clues.

Clues that don't give you any useful info at all. Or even worse, tell you to look on the spoiler pic which you (surprisingly) didn't print out.

You know, after discovering that that particular free range jobbie had survived for over a month, I have found myself idly wondering if it's still there!! Personally, I reckon that., Mr hanky like, it is gradually hitching it's way to Hertfordshire and soon I will hear a moist knocking at the door...

AAAIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Pet peeves.... um....

parallel piles of sticks, but this can be expanded to include anybody who does not put a good effort into re-hiding a cache once they have found it

finding bagged doggy do in the bushes when I am cache hunting. At least in the natural state it should break down (eventually!) but why oh why, after having gone to the effort of picking the stuff up and bagging it, chuck it into the bushes?

Birders,

Until 2 weeks ago I was using a faithful yellow etrex which had a holder on the dash of the car....now I am still trying to figure out the magellan I got on ebay so that Martin could take old faithful with him. I also always have maps of the areas with me but need to be able to pull over and look at them occassionally especially when tryring to do more than one cache in a particular area.

I have a general idea of where I want to be going (town) but not of every B-C-D road in the area until I am within a mile or so and then to be able to pull over and scope it out would be a blessing. T-Junctions are the worst as more often then not they show up with no signs and you need to make a snap judgement.

Oh well there is always tomorrow and the day after etc........ and these areas are not that far away....just unexplored:)

parallel piles of sticks, but this can be expanded to include anybody who does not put a good effort into re-hiding a cache once they have found it

After having been caching with Alibags I now regularly pile up sticks nearby to caches to throw people off the scent B)

Pet Peeves;

1. Smelly Wet Bin Bags

2. Crappy old ice cream tubs

3. TB's with no mission attached that you find you have arsed up the mission by taking it when you log on to log it

4. Poor hides just for the sake of it

5. Mis-classified cache types and sizes B)

Other than that we are mainly happy! B)

My list of geocaching pet hates:

Armed police.

Armed farmers.

DNFs because I wrote the co-ords down wrong.

'Phone-a-friend' contacts who've not found the cache I'm looking for.

Out of date vouchers in caches.

Slugs on, or in, caches.

Trashed caches.

Co-ords which are woolly under tree cover (to be expected) and then a clue which IN NO WAY matches the location I find the cache, some 3 hours later, having walked off in disgust and caught it out of the corner of my eye.

Following the arrow when I should be following the path.

Angry cows (without guns)

Barky farm dogs which don't understand the idea of public rights of way.

Those rare caches which bring me somewhere *so* random, I wonder what the setter was trying to communicate to me. Beyond their ability to place a box and use a GPSr to record its location.

Not reading the page/clue/looking at the spoiler photos before leaving home/other stoopid stuff.

Rotting cache contents

Flies (esp. swallowed while geo-cycling)

Logging a DNF, and then realising the cache hadn't been found for nearly a year anyway. What I call a 'No Sh*t Sherlock' moment.

Multi's listed as Trads, obviously.

People who get all 'huffy' when I log the cache with a note saying 'not as described' - but in a friendlier way.

Pointless lists of stuff on the form... Oops B)

SP B)

Easy one this....

Complete and utter tat in caches. Now, we Don't cache for the swaps, but some counties' tat is REALLY bad... we noticed in Derbyshire, EVERY cache had complete rubbish in it. If it was REALLY bad we traded up, just so that it had something ok in it, but .... eugh!

Broken Mcdonalds toys in caches

Bridle ways - what does Route Master always want us to drive down them?

Taking our 18 month old geokid nephew on a Terrain of 2 cache to discover it should really be about a 3.5!

Nettles..... who the hell invented nettles???

when you get to within 250 ft of the cache, and the batteries run out, so you then have to stop, change the batteries etc...

People who use boxes that the water can permeate.... lovely stench when you open the box!

Pieman's caches - you know you'll have a laugh on them, but you nearly always end up pulling your hair out too.... see "Smile or Scowl, or "The truth is out there"

Edited by hazel and Phill
People who take my travel bug, won't move it on and won't mail it back to me when asked. B)

Think you might have to say goodbye to that TB B)B)

The person who picked it up hasn't logged on to the website for nearly a year. Maybe something bad has happened to the cacher or they have just given up geocaching but I would say you're not going to get a reply or see your TB again B) .

I believe there is a TB graveyard or heaven or something like that. Maybe the fairy would be happy there.

After last nights adventure:- Click Here

Bridle ways and public walkways that are not maintained or have been planted with crops. B)

The one last night looks like no one had walked on since the Romans lived here.

Another peeve is caches that have had several DNF and the owner hasn’t been to check if its still there.

See ya...Gary

Caches planted in winter

Tree cover

Nettles (whats with these this year!!)

Rubbish clues on 2* difficulty caches if you want it to be hard be clear please

Smelly orrible plastic bags

Poor ratings on our perfect 5* caches B)

Rights of way marked as private eventhough the OS maps say different

Unlabelled ROW

Nettles

Muggled caches (just lost another this weekend and one more looks doubtfull)

Smelly plastic bags

Nettles

and

repeating things in lists for emphasis

and

repeating things in lists for emphasis

Blame AliBags B)B)B)

Oi!!

I have only done that once.... and that was when the cache was hidden under a pile of sticks so distraction was the best camoflague. Kept the next finders entertained though, eh Philimore Clan?

I have done a couple of caches which had piles of sticks hiding dummy micros with 'nope, try harder' type messages insdie them. My efforts were tame in comparison.

Pet peeve number 3 : being unjustly outed by a man in a suit of armour (I am sure the two are not entirely unrelated) on the forums

Peeve #1 has to be TBs with no mission attached.

Peeve #2 is caches hidden in mini cairns, or similar. No matter how carefully you dismantle the cairn, when you come to rehide the cache you can never seem to get an arrangement of stones which conceals it properly again.

Peeve #3 is things like huge rubber spiders or simiar beasties left as cache swaps. I did a maintenance visit on one of my caches the other day, and a rubber creep-crawly fell straight out of the box into my hand. "Gosh", I said quietly to myself. "That was most unexpected, and certainly gave me something of a suprise"......or words to that effect.

Things that AREN'T my pet 'caching peeves:

TBs without mission tags. If I pick one up I assume its mission is just to move. If it turns out later that it wasn't, 'tough'. TB owners have the responsibility to put a laminated note with the item.

Nettles. Nature's way of showing us cachers trails in summer. Cardboard and elastic bands can make an excellent shield against them.

Piles of parallel sticks. They may have a cache under them (which I'm looking for) or they may not (worse, but far from a tragedy)

Dodgy directions from TomTom. I'm a 'paper' cacher with an OS map. I'll know if it's a byway (red cross, dash, cross, dash etc), bridleway (red dashes) footpath (red dots) or a public road (yellow, or otherwise coloured road).

Tax on petrol/diesel/beer. If I really felt strongly about this, I'd write to my MP. I haven't. Have you?

Wobbly stiles. Always good for a 'Where there's a blame, there's a claim' incident.

Not being FTF when I want to be. Only myself to blame.

Partly uncovered caches. May have been dug out by an animal..? I always cover them up extra well when I leave. Why should I pass on my good fortune. Fate assisted me in finding it. It was MY destiny and my destiny alone. :rolleyes:

SP

Hi,

In the winter I hate the mud and the summer I hate the bugs, but im not sure which I hate the most.

Im getting used to nettles and seem to like being stung by them lol.

I have a TB given to me by someone at a bash and since haveing it I had a nasty note from said owners asking me why it was removed from its country.

Not nice when I didnt remove it from its said country. Not surprising it was removed though has it didnt have any description of its where abouts and where it should be going.

I am late dropping off now because Im trying to find the right place to put it but I have kindly attached a tag to it saying where its destination is.

So yes TBs should have their info attached to them.

Mad looking cows, The moo type Ive developed a fear for them.

Not keen on clues in graveyards, I feel im trespassing.

But I do enjoy caches with clues/quizzes, good for the old grey matter.

Next thread should be what we like, I prefer to be positive.

Yorkypudding.