High Peaks Cache

ms_fudd

Hello, I'm still a newbie to caching, but I was wondering if someone out there may be able to verify a possible cache location. Two Memorial Days ago, a few friends and myself took a trip up to Mt. Marcy. We seem to remember finding a cache at the peak. None of us were cachers at the time, though we have heard of geocaching and recognized it as a cache from the "if you find this..." note inside. We don't remember if we signed a log or not, but now that we are active cachers, would love to see if we ever did officially bag that cache along with the peak that day. If anyone knows of any caches there and could help, I'd appreciaite it. All I remember was the cache we found was a micro and it was away from any vegetation, since that already is extremely fragile and protected up there.

I was also thinking it could have been a micro that someone planted but didn't get approved for since they keep a tight leash on Marcy's peak with all the endangered vegetation. Thank you very much for your response. It was greatly appreciated.

It's probably the log book for the Adirondack 46ers. There are 46 peaks in the Adirondacks over 4000 ft. and when you climb one there's a log. You're suppose to log your name and copy down the 3 previous names. Then send the date of the climb along with the 3 names to the Adirondack 46er's.

If you google the Adirondack 46ers it will give you more information.

It's probably the log book for the Adirondack 46ers. There are 46 peaks in the Adirondacks over 4000 ft. and when you climb one there's a log. You're suppose to log your name and copy down the 3 previous names. Then send the date of the climb along with the 3 names to the Adirondack 46er's.

If you google the Adirondack 46ers it will give you more information.

I do not believe that you saw a 46ers log book. These book were:

A. On trail less peaks in the Adirondacks. Marcy is not a trail less peak. (Note - 20 out of the 46 peaks are trail less.)

B. The canisters have been removed. I am not sure of the dates when they were removed but believe it was more than two years ago.

C. Although we live in Pennsylvania we have hiked and cached in the Adirondacks every summer since 2001. I do not recall seeing a Mt. Marcy cache listed on Geocaching.com. (However if it was listed for a short time, it could have easily been missed.)

As added notes:

1. I know of other unauthorized caches that have been placed, and you may have found one. I HOPE GEOCACHING.COM WOULD NOT APPROVE OF A CACHE NEAR THE SUMMIT OF MARCY, IT WOULD BE IN VIOLATION OF A NUMBER OF NYDEC RULES.

2. The web page that rjw661 was referring to is ADK46R.

Edited by Waterboy

no, we did that too. Plus we were sitting down, behind the back side of a rock because the wind and snow were biting - (yep, we had light snow all the way up..happy spring). I remember reading congratulations, you have found... If you found this by accident please return....We all knew what it was, but none of us really thought we would persue caching. Either way, doesn't look like there is a cache there anyway so the point is moot. I will check the adk site for the 46er log. I down, 45 to go.

Waterboy is correct and the canisters have been removed for over two years.. and Marcy never had one. The closest one to Marcy was on Gray.. a little nub to the SW and not a likely spot to be unless you are doing the "Adirondack 46". ....Ed Scott 46R #627