She's Taking All The Swag!

Okay, there is a new cacher in the area, and she has 20 caches under her belt. It's been fun for me to watch her go through our caches and the ones in the area while "finding herself" and learning the ropes. She's obviously very sweet and enthusiastic and having a ball with her kids, and that's what it's all about. I like her comments in the logs, and I can see her growing as she continues to find new caches.

However, she obviously does not realize there is a "trade even or trade up" preference in geocaching. I'm watching her write her logs in the area, and always writing logs like, "my kids took a ______ and a _____ and I took a ________ and my husband took _____. Left our signature charm." There are always multiple "takes" in her logs, and she leaves the charm.

I know for one, I spend a LOT of money on my caches to keep them well-stocked, and when caching we always try to "leave the boxes better'n we find'em." And I know I am not alone in this concern of boxes potentially lessening in booty-loot as more people visit.

I don't want to dampen her fun, but wish there was a way to help new cachers understand the difficulties of keeping a box stocked if people keep taking without replacing.

Is there anything written specifically on trading guidelines or etiquette? Where is that form we all put together some time ago on caching ethics? Perhaps that has a suggestion?

Any ideas on how to politely make this happen? Is there a site somewhere that already addresses such rules? Helping her understand trading rules without lessening her enthusiasm is my goal.

Halp?

Okay, there is a new cacher in the area, and she has 20 caches under her belt. It's been fun for me to watch her go through our caches and the ones in the area while "finding herself" and learning the ropes. She's obviously very sweet and enthusiastic and having a ball with her kids, and that's what it's all about. I like her comments in the logs, and I can see her growing as she continues to find new caches.

However,  she obviously does not realize there is a "trade even or trade up" preference in geocaching. I'm watching her write her logs in the area, and always writing logs like, "my kids took a ______ and a _____ and I took a ________ and my husband took _____. Left our signature charm."  There are always multiple "takes" in her logs, and she leaves the charm.

I know for one, I spend a LOT of money on my caches to keep them well-stocked, and when caching we always try to "leave the boxes better'n we find'em." And I know I am not alone in this concern of boxes potentially lessening in booty-loot as more people visit.

I don't want to dampen her fun, but wish there was a way to help new cachers understand the difficulties of keeping a box stocked if people keep taking without replacing.

Is there anything written specifically on trading guidelines or etiquette? Where is that form we all put together some time ago on caching ethics? Perhaps that has a suggestion?

Any ideas on how to politely make this happen? Is there a site somewhere that already addresses such rules? Helping her understand trading rules without lessening her enthusiasm is my goal.

Halp?

Copy and paste your post into an email to this person who you want to properly train. :blink:

Edited by Team Cotati

You could just come right out with it, but it's best to be REALLY friendly about it.

Start a dialog about caching in general, mention that you'd like to cache in their area or something like that. (Heck, you have most of the compliments posted here.) then talk about caching practices and cover trade procedures within the conversation.

I bet once they know they'll change habits immediately. It's all in the approach.

I've sent cachers an email just to say 'Howdy'. So there's no reason not to do the same.

Edit: proper sentence structure

Edited by BlueDeuce
Better yet just start doing caches for her that are nothing but McDonlad toys so you really do not have to worry what all her and her family loots from the cache

Just what we should all do, put out junk caches then we don't have to worry about them getting degraded. :blink:

I suggest a polite e-mail saying "Thank you for hunting for our caches and please help us maintain the cache in a condition that the next finder will enjoy. If you find any problems with our cache please let us know as soon as possible."

Then if they keep depleting caches a stronger worded note will be in order.

John

I suggest a polite e-mail saying "Thank you for hunting for our caches and please help us maintain the cache in a condition that the next finder will enjoy. If you find any problems with our cache please let us know as soon as possible."

I really like the way you worded that. That I could manage to do.

Thank you!

I don't think that is clear enough. She may think that the cache is in good shape becuase of her charm. It's not addressing the fact that she taking multiple items and leaving one.

A polite email between adults should do it. No need to be harsh, but no need to that vague either.

I agree with kealia. I don't think that is clear enough.

Recently I just happened to notice a new cacher had posted a second "Found It" on a cache he returned to to grab a Travel Bug. I wrote a polite, very friendly email welcoming him to the sport then mentioned there is a drop down list to choose the type of log and when returning to a cache, he could post a note.

Later, I noticed the second find was changed to a note.

I think the email should be very friendly and welcoming, but should be specific about the "Take one item/Leave one item" trading principle.

It is too bad some people don't have enough common sense to figure that out on their own . . . isn't it? :blink:

Edit for spelling . . .

Edited by idiosyncratic
*yawn*

Imagine that, another gripe about swag.

This isn't so much a complaint about not trading even based on perceived value - it's the number of items taken and left that is an issue here (unless I've missed something).

The OP is asking for advice on how to handle this vs. just coming here and griping - lighten up.

*yawn*

Well since you haven't placed any caches yet, you wouldn't know what it is like to put time and effort and money into putting several items in a cache and then having one family come along and take four of the ten items you intended the cache to hold.

If everyong trades one for one, even though the quality might go down, there will still be ten items in the cache six months down the road.

Since I put some big items (Car Visor CD holder, leather HP Jornada case, padlock and key) in a new cache of mine, I only put half a dozen items in the ammo can. If this family came along, there would only be two items and the logbook and pen left in the cache . . . :blink:

I think a little friendly "education" is warranted . . . otherwise hard feelings are likely to arise.

always assuming their sig item isn't worth loads! then go for the email. we were all new once and you often need pointers when you start a new hobby etc.

be nice and friendly until/unless get bad reply. i'm sure they will mend their ways.

No, you don't need 'pointers'. You need to read, understand and then follow the game's guidelines. You know, like a responsible adult. As a matter of fact it goes beyond that. Just suppose there was no guideline pertaining to 'trade even--trade up or don't trade'. How difficult is it to understand that it is not reasonable behavior to visit someone's cache and take what you like and leave nothing or leave junk? Do people think that the stuff in a cache was put there by the "Cache Fairy"? :blink: Crimminie........!

Edited by Team Cotati

I understand that you're in a tough situation. I guess you could send them an e-mail and say that you really are enthusiastic about new geocachers in the area. But, it is expensive for people to come in and take 4 or 5 things and leave one. The upkeep is really hard to make, and shouldn't be so much of a problem normally. Ask her that if you take 5 things leave 5 things, or take 1 leave 1. She'll be really accepting I'm sure. She probably just doesn't understand.

I understand that you're in a tough situation.  I guess you could send them an e-mail and say that you really are enthusiastic about new geocachers in the area.  But, it is expensive for people to come in and take 4 or 5 things and leave one.  The upkeep is really hard to make, and shouldn't be so much of a problem normally.  Ask her that if you take 5 things leave 5 things, or take 1 leave 1.  She'll be really accepting I'm sure.  She probably just doesn't understand.

I'll tell you what you ought to ask her: "Say there Sally, when you open a cache and see a bunch of neat stuff in it and you decide that you'd like to take some of that neat stuff with you. You then take three items out of the cache...what do you believe is the proper thing for a responsible adult to do with regard to the amount of stuff being left in the cache for others to enjoy?"

Edited by Team Cotati
blah blah

Dang dude...

The OP said she was fairly new. You and I aren't. When I explain this activity to other people, the first thing they usually ask is what kind of stuff is in the container. Most people think (without thinking it through) that there's stuff in it for them.

Heck.. even people who have played this game for years take out good stuff and leave crap.

Most people think there is something in it for them, and I'm not only talking about geocaching. A new geocacher is especially vulnerable to having this thought, and it's prudent to point out proper etiquette to her.

The best advice was your first post in this thread. Copy and paste the OP, which was perfectly written, and email this geocacher.

Jamie

I only have two out there now, but I have many in the works. I try to address the trade ettiquet right off the bat. (See GCPBND) I end my geosheets with this.

REMEMBER:

Make the fair trade.

Log your visit.

Leave the site better than you found it.

Protect the environment — always.

Educate those around you.

Find another cache!

"Make the fair trade," is first on my list. I address this list again in the "You Found It" note along with some stuff about not moving it and deterring vandalism. If they don't know what to do...I'm telling them what to do, at every cache.

cantuland

I am glad you asked this. I have a similar problem when I take my grandchildren out caching with me. They see; they want; they take....and my personal "swag bag" gets depleted pretty quickly as I replace items one-for-one.

So here's what I am going to do, and you can suggest this to her as a good lesson for her children.

I will make up a little swag bag for each grandchild to carry. When we get to a cache, they can exchange out of their own bag....and give me a chance to teach the value of "trade even or trade up" to them.

I think that will work...hope so. :blink:

I only have two out there now, but I have many in the works. I try to address the trade ettiquet right off the bat. (See GCPBND) I end my geosheets with this.

REMEMBER:

Make the fair trade.

Log your visit.

Leave the site better than you found it.

Protect the environment — always.

Educate those around you.

Find another cache!

"Make the fair trade," is first on my list. I address this list again in the "You Found It" note along with some stuff about not moving it and deterring vandalism. If they don't know what to do...I'm telling them what to do, at every cache.

cantuland

There you go. When you send her an email, make the "remember' info part of your sig line.

I really think your original post with a few edits would be fine to email to the cacher. In closing, you can always emphasize that you're not trying to be rude, but felt that trading 1 item for 4 really isn't considered a fair trade and that trading an item for an item would help to keep caches stocked for future finders.

Perhaps when you write the note. you could act like you think that she is leaving items to trade one-for-one and just not saying that in her logs, and you are concerned that others might think that she is trading unfairly. Or perhaps even say that someone emailed you to complain that she had been there before them and wiped the cache out--and that you understand why they thought this because she isn't logging what she leaves in the cache on-line.

For instance, tell her that when she says that hubby took X and the kids tooks A< B< C and she took Y, and left her sig item --but doesn't say what else she left to trade-- it makes it sound like they took 5 things and only left the sig item.

Perhaps when you write the note. you could act like you think that she is leaving items to trade one-for-one and just not saying that in her logs, and you are concerned that others might think that she is trading unfairly.  Or perhaps even say that someone emailed you to complain that she had been there before them and wiped the cache out--and that you understand why they thought this because she isn't logging what she leaves in the cache on-line.

For instance, tell her that when she says that hubby took X and the kids tooks A< B< C and she took Y, and left her sig item --but doesn't say what else she left to trade-- it makes it sound like they took 5 things and only left the sig item.

In that case you'd better send the note, so you'll be telling the truth. :blink:

There's this cacher who's complaining about your trade practice....

Edited by BlueDeuce

Honestly, I am a bit naive, and like to think that she really is leaving more items than she says. I looked over her logs, and on some of them she does appear to trade one-for one (Takes two items, leaves two items).

Some people that have been to my caches say what they take but don't say what they leave --so the new items are a surprise for the next person that comes there (and no one goes out there expecting to find the items that are already gone).

I guess my suggestion really was "a little white lie" :blink: I should be ashamed of myself!

Since I put some big items (Car Visor CD holder, leather HP Jornada case, padlock and key) in a new cache of mine

If you CHOOSE to place high-value items in the woods for anyone to take, you should EXPECT them to be taken, that's all. There's nothing stopping you from putting just a logbook out there. I'm fairly certain you'll get the same number of visits no matter what you have in there.

Honestly, I am a bit naive, and like to think that she really is leaving more items than she says. I looked over her logs, and on some of them she does appear to trade one-for one (Takes two items, leaves two items).

Some people that have been to my caches say what they take but don't say what they leave --so the new items are a surprise for the next person that comes there (and no one goes out there expecting to find the items that are already gone).

I guess my suggestion really was "a little white lie" B) I should be ashamed of myself!

Nah, you're ok. I just don't agree with the come out and tell'em method when dealing with a new cacher who is also a complete stranger. There are ways of 'padding' the message. Especially when you are not hired on as a cache cop.

Since I put some big items (Car Visor CD holder, leather HP Jornada case, padlock and key) in a new cache of mine

If you CHOOSE to place high-value items in the woods for anyone to take, you should EXPECT them to be taken, that's all. There's nothing stopping you from putting just a logbook out there. I'm fairly certain you'll get the same number of visits no matter what you have in there.

B) Of course I put that stuff out there for it to be taken. The point I was making was that I only put half a dozen items in that particular cache. If someone comes along and takes four items, and only puts in a signature item, that is a problem.

That isn't the way the game is supposed to be played. That isn't the way most people play the game.

Sure, someone might come along and take the Jornada case and the CD wallet and leave a lizard and a broken McToy, but at least there are still six items in the ammo can for future geocachers to paw through . . . B)

*yawn*

No, its about people who are either a: selfish, or b: clueless.

you forgot...

c) whiners

and

d) complainers

That's a whole different thread where we can whine about people who whine about people who whine.

Bah, Brian, I thought that was EVERY thread in the general forum...

B)

I am glad you asked this.  I have a similar problem when I take my grandchildren out caching with me.  They see; they want; they take....and my personal "swag bag" gets depleted pretty quickly as I replace items one-for-one.

So here's what I am going to do, and you can suggest this to her as a good lesson for her children.

I will make up a little swag bag for each grandchild to carry.  When we get to a cache, they can exchange out of their own bag....and give me a chance to teach the value of "trade even or trade up" to them.

I think that will work...hope so.  B)

I try to do this when I take the Cache Rats out with me. They each have little bags with toys (usually thier older ones. Not broken, just not interesting anymore) At the cache they have to decide what to trade, and I get the final say if I think it's not fair.

And Birdsong and Bud, I understand your situation. Since putting out my first cache I've had to handle a situation where I asked a finder to change or encrypt a log that I thought was a little too descriptive, for example. The wording of those kids of emails for me takes forever, especially when the cacher is new. I know when I started it was an uphill learing curve... I didn't sit down and read the entire GC site before I started. I learned as I went, and I don't expect that the new cachers I contact are doing much different. I've found that a kindly worded email works just fine. Avoid sounding superior, or admonishing and things should go fine. Most people will even reply with a thank you, as much for a simple heads-up as for a personal message from another established cacher.

*yawn*

you forgot...

c) whiners

and

d) complainers

Gosh ParrotRob. I've only noticed a few of your posts but I did take note of them because they seemed to be jumping on anyone who came here and posted a concern. If you don't have any advice or if you don't care to just comiserate with fellow cachers about their problems, why post at all? It can't be FUN for you to be so sarcastic, could it?

*yawn*

you forgot...

c) whiners

and

d) complainers

Gosh ParrotRob. I've only noticed a few of your posts but I did take note of them because they seemed to be jumping on anyone who came here and posted a concern. If you don't have any advice or if you don't care to just comiserate with fellow cachers about their problems, why post at all? It can't be FUN for you to be so sarcastic, could it?

No, he's part of group 'D' - complains about the complainers. B)

Open a sock account and send an email with a link to this thread.  B)  B)

Except--if he did that the poor woman would find all sorts of negativity aimed at her, which is clearly not what the OP intended. He obviously has enjoyed watching someone explore a brand new hobby,

I don't want to dampen her fun

and asked for some polite advice

Any ideas on how to politely make this happen?

I agree with the befriend and then counsel approach. After you've exchanged an email or two about "Welcome to the sport" you could send her a non-threatening email saying "I went out to that new cache the other day and took a this and a that from the cache, so naturally I put two thing in to 'trade even'." You can put it all on yourself, but still get the message across.

Open a sock account and send an email with a link to this thread.  B)  B)

Except--if he did that the poor woman would find all sorts of negativity aimed at her, which is clearly not what the OP intended. He obviously has enjoyed watching someone explore a brand new hobby,

I don't want to dampen her fun

and asked for some polite advice

Any ideas on how to politely make this happen?

I agree with the befriend and then counsel approach. After you've exchanged an email or two about "Welcome to the sport" you could send her a non-threatening email saying "I went out to that new cache the other day and took a this and a that from the cache, so naturally I put two thing in to 'trade even'." You can put it all on yourself, but still get the message across.

That was tongue-in-cheek (notice my little winkie). B)B)B)

This is one of the gripes I have against sig items. people who leave them attach a lot more value to them than they deserve. I know there are sig item collectors, but for those that don't sig items are worthless crap.

This is the problem with most of the whining that goes on about trading. Perhaps we could hire appraisers that hang out at each cache and verify that the trades are appropriate.

I go to the cache and show the appraiser what I want to take and what I'll be trading for it. If the item that I'm taking is worth 30 cents more, I toss a quarter and a nickle in the box with my trade item. If my trade item is worth more, this guy can make change for me.

Edited by sbell111

How about having a cache event, besure and send a personal invite to all new cachers as well as the general you all come on the event page. Make this a welcome to the game event and have prizes for the newest cacher and so forth. Then use this time to become aquainted and go over caching guidlines and give them a chance to ask questions from the pros. That way you can all get aquainted and have a good time and address any issues you want without it being personalized. ~ Just a thought.