Are Geocoins Getting More Expensive?

whoknows

RWW makes excellent points about why coins can cost. A simple pressed coin can start about $2.50- 2.75. Some cachers are getting deep relief coins- 3D coins. The 3D coins can raise the cost of the dies as well as the coins. You start adding color, and you'll probably add epoxy coating.

As far as cost going up in general, I don't think so. Also, there are plenty of coins that are event coins, or organization coins- small runs of a couple of hundred at most.

Are the coin runs getting larger and the prices increasing?  Lets hear that constructive criticism!

larger runs, yes it seems like it

costing more, not really it just seems that way

typically the more coins done in a run the cheaper they are per piece. However as more and more groups do coins they're getting more elaborate. color, more color, coats/finishs, fancier edges, different materials, different textures/processing (3D, 'true' pressed), serial number/ tracking, and other things. All designed to make the coin as unique and special as possiable. The thing is if you increase run size and get a 25 or 50 cent brake while 'adding' $2 in garnish*, your now 1.50 over basix unpainted bronze.

(*not knocking anyone's coins!)

should have just said "what the last two people said"

Edited by welch

I dunno; I have to go against the grain here.

First of all, anybody else thinking that the OP is a sock puppet account? New account as of July 15th and asking about the increasing prices of coins....??

Anyway, it does seem that a few of the coins are going up in price (higher than what they need to be). I produced the Santa Cruz County coin and talked with MANY companies to get a feel for pricing.

While there are a few coins that are done differently (Alaska comes to mind) the base prices on a FEW have been high. Yes, all those things add up, but not all the $7.00 coins have all those things on them.

It does seem like a few are out to make a few $$ in the process. Is it there right to based on the work involved in this process? That's a discussion for another thread.

Yes, we all have the right to but/not buy based on the prices. But a direct answer to the OP IMO is yes (with exceptions, of course).

I agree 100% with Kealia, In fact I have some Military coins that are far nicer and much more detailed than the vast majority of geocoins and have never paid a cent over 5 bucks. Most of the coins I have have been given to me for variouse things, but I know for a fact that the cost of making the coins is still not above 4 dollars a piece give or take a little. But these coins that are now costing upwards of 9 bucks a piece seems a little unreasonable to me. But if people are paying it who are we to say otherwise.

constructive criticism is what is being asked for in this post!

Thanks Kealia for your honest answer!

I see nothing wrong with a little extra on top of the coin price, but I would like to at least hear (you can at least lie to us) that the added cost will go to new caches, local group functions, meetings, etc.

Capitalism, what a wonderful thing.