Tell Us About Your Avatar

I have a few avatars that I use with the same username on other sites. I didn't design them, I just googled. You'd be surprised at how many pigs wearing crowns one can find on the internet.

1b80df9f-b7b0-4ae1-b95a-986e569ea894.jpg

7c740e93-9b47-4ac1-997f-09c69f0d6415.jpg

I use this one on my "FOUND IT!" stickers I use to sign logs with...

64af62d7-1f6f-4919-b28a-d00ced5e4c9c.jpg

and one non-pig related that I use elsewhere...

8d2c1244-3b6e-468b-a43b-6f7d29e6e0b2.jpg

i've had a few.

this one started off with a picture of the 60cs (my baby)

pr-Garmin_GARMIN_GPS_MAP_60_GPS_Receiver-resized200.jpg

After allot of work on ms Paint I got the "GX" logo on the screen.

263308cf-68e3-4f6b-afc0-210f855777e9.jpg

So I used that for a while. After I got GIMP I used that to crop and resize, and i added a better background. Instead of the plain white, I made it transparent and layered it over a section of tree branches in the fog that I took in our front yard. This gives some subtle shading and colors.

4532a8a5-549c-45e9-9e04-04d757aea832.jpg

I am still playing around with GIMP, and might make something more personal someday. But for now I'll stick with it.

I also like this picture that i did, but it doesn't work as well as an avatar.

ff31ec41-a8f2-4811-8a4a-9536a2eaf47f.jpg

Joe SMith

Edited by Joe Smith

Long boring story:

I graduated from The University of Iowa in 1991. I am a RABID Hawkeye fan. I even drive a Yellow / Black Dodge Dakota. I am a little obsessive about my favorite college.

My father owns 80 acres of nothing in West-Central Wisconsin. He bought it so we could deer hunt / mushroom hunt / camp / goof-off. It is a great piece of property.

Nothing for MILES in all directions.

We go up every year for the 4th of July, that is his birthday. This year, for some strange reason, the whole place is covered in Black Eyed Susans. Sure, there have always been a few around, but this year they are EVERYWHERE.

My seven year old was standing in about 14 acres of meadow and looked up at me and said "Looks like God likes the Hawkeyes too, Dad."

We spent a few minutes finding the perfect one for a picture.

I live for moments like that.

Well, we're "Mom"&"Dad"ofKJE. So the picture is of K, J, and E at a cache site in Palatka, FL. J is the one holding the GPS, K is the poser, and E is the one having fun between the 2. The picture was taken before we realized how much the GPS would take over our life. K became the infamous "Agent K" and now posts here on her own. We applied the "Agent" moniker on the two boys until they come up with their own. I know, it's an uncreative avatar, but it's who we are.

My avatar is just a googled image of Mr. Fantastic from the Fantastic Four. I chose it because the name is the same and there were more images to choose from now that the movie is out. Before that it was just an interesting picture of a burning log I took while hunting a cache in an area that had just undergone a prescribed burn. The cache did not survive, by the way.

I'm one of the few who has an actual picture of me as my avatar. It's kind of weird, actually that more people don't put a picture of themself. In the one other internet forum in which I participate, virtually all users have their own pic as their avatar. Only a small handful use something else.

I also use my real name as my nick... wish more people did that.

Jamie

I'm one of the few who has an actual picture of me as my avatar. It's kind of weird, actually that more people don't put a picture of themself. In the one other internet forum in which I participate, virtually all users have their own pic as their avatar. Only a small handful use something else.

Jamie

What possible difference can this make? Do you plan on becoming close personal friends with these pixels?

What possible difference can this make? Do you plan on becoming close personal friends with these pixels?

I'm not sure what sort of sarcastic meaning you have, but my answer is yes. When I meet geocachers (and I've met about 50) I really like if I already know something of what they look like, and their name. All too often I arrive at an event to meet "GeoMan" and although I've seen his nick before, I don't know his real name, nor do I know him on sight. It's nice to know who you are talking to, don't you think?

I guess it also has to do with dealing with people at a personal level. We have a fairly tight-knit group (although the larger geocaching becomes, the less tight-knit is it :blink: ) and it's nice to converse with people where I can refer to them by name, and I can see their face.

Something tells me that if we were sitting together at a table, you wouldn't be so edgy. I try to treat people online as I would in my living room--or at the very least, as if we were at an event.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
Ah golly gee, how silly I feel. I've been lurking on the forums for almost a year now and have only posted a few times. Just yesterday I tried to figure out how to get my avatar and sig line to be added to my posts and I haven't been able to figure it out. HELP!

:blink: I must have finally figured it out. I see they are now appearing. Ignore the previous cry for help.

I change mine from thime to time, but at the moment I'm using a picture of Zim, from the cartoon Invader Zim...the best cartoon evarz!

Some other avatars include:

26aa1253-fa36-4a02-88a1-2d0783ea5e5c.jpg

Leo from VGCats.

fdad23b8-7504-475c-85ea-b06b722cc567.jpg

Dr. Hobo, also from VGCats.

f3549e5d-b173-4350-9ff0-68d34ac51848.jpg

A Helghast soldier from the PS2 game, Killzone (why is it that the bad guys are always so much cooler than the good guys?)

9084c21a-ae44-4b83-8c47-f03385af153d.jpg

A simple Black Mage sprite from Final Fantasy.

e4b974e0-68b9-4c1b-bb33-57a1a5e09c7b.jpg

I call this one, Evil BM.

I have also used these in the UTAG forums:

ed6yx.gifdancebm3an8rs.gif

My avatar is a photo of my Golden Retriever " Poster Boy " taken with 35mm infrared film and transferred to Photoshop 8.0.

I used multiple transparency layers but I'm still not certain how I reached the image I have.

Go figure.

I've been using various refractive and density gradiant mediums for quite a while and I still come up with stuff that drives me and the other Materials Science guys crazy.

I guess there is something to be said for the " gee, I wonder what this is gonna do attitude. "

If anyone has been to any of the tech shows in Silicon Valley they might have seen some of my metallographic and micro pictures of components and board sections and stuff. :blink:

Jamie

:blink:

mine is a photoshopped pic of me signing a log at this cache earlier this year.

Jamie

I enjoy avatars; they are a visual representation of the hundreds of people in our community. I recently incorporated my photo into my avatar, mostly for the same reasons as Jamie.

I googled for my first avatar.--->119047_1900.JPG

And painted my own outrageous color. --->119047_3700.JPG

Then I decided everyone should see my pretty face, so I developed the current model.

BTW, Jamie, my real name is sept1c_tank! B)B)

It's us. We tried to get a liltle help and be a little cryptic. Why bother. We are who we are. We're not ashamed of who or what we are. We seek caches. Want to do something about it? Caity (my blonde bombshell) will take care of that! And whomsoever may outlast her will be taken care of by Aly (her sister). All in fun, we're here and we're having a blast. See us and say Hi. Please. The only thing more fun than finding a cache is finding a cache in the company of another brother or sister cacher! The joy found in seeing a fellow geocacher intently focusing on their GPSr while relentlessly advancing on your position after you have found a cache is amazing! A face placed with an avatar when you don't visit na=many events ia great!