Problem Transferring Maps To Vistac

I'm having a problem transferring maps to a VistaC - I have City Select v6. I can set up map sets of the correct size, no problem. I can transfer routes, tracks, and waypoints on and off the device no problem. But just about every time I try to transfer maps onto the GPSr, it seems to hang on the step of "Erasing previous map set - this may take a few minutes". Unless "few" means >15, there's gotta be something wrong. I have gotten one set on, but I'm not quite sure how I did it, and it's been not fun trying to repeat it. Any advice welcome.

Keith

Transfer time to my 60C via USB took quite some time to get 49MBs of PA transfered. When you transfer Maps it has to delete the old ones before loading the new. By serial cable it would take even longer. I'd say >15 minutes. Try again and just let it sit for a good long time. :P ImpalaBob

15 minutes is way too long. I presume you've unlocked the CitySelect maps using the serial number of the VistaC. I'd try restarting your PC and running MapSource before running any other applications. I've sometimes had some issues with MapSource when too many other programs were open. If that doesn't help try calling Garmin's tech support line (I've been happier with their phone support than with their email).

I just tried transferring new mapsets to my Vista C. Just to test it, I transferred 4 different sets averaging 12MB each. Takes about 15 seconds to complete the entire operation. The erase happens so fast it is easy to miss (a second or two). I was using City Nav V6. My Vista C is running 2.50 firmware.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, my Mapsource is 6.6.2 Beta

Edited by TucsonBill

I tried something that shouldn't have made a difference - using a built-in USB port instead of a hub - and it seems to have helped the reliability. At least this time, hopefully that continues the next time I try to transfer a map set on. When it does go, as TucsonBill indicates, the transfer is quite quick.

Keith

I have a vista. To dowload as much maps as I could fit in it took about 20 minutes on mine. Just let it set downloading for a while and see what happens.

The Vista and Vista C are very different. The "C" uses a USB connection, so the dowload shouldn't take more than a minute or so. The regular Vista could take 20 or more minutes with its serial connection.