Coin Icon Discussion

SCP-173

This topic was being discussed in another thread and has pretty much derailed it from the original topic, so I decided to start a new one. From the sounds of it almost everyone seemed to agree that there are getting to be too many geocoin icons. I think that the ones that are here now should stay unique, because as far as I know the people who produced them are getting what they payed for (is that correct?), but maybe any further trackable coins should just fall under the normal geocoin category. I don't really know if having a different icon is necessary, but if they are changed maybe a simple abbreviation of the state/country (or event, for GW3) name over the coin would work.

What does everyone else think?

Special GC trackable coins are a great idea. As far as I am concerned, each state/country should have one. Regional groups should be able have one also. Even certain evants can qualify. Perhaps other reasons for having a special coin may emerge over time.

I also feel that a massive list of icons can lose it's significance. So the question becomes, where do you draw the line? How big does a group need to be to qualify for it's own icon? How big does an event need to be to get it's own coin icon?

In Nevada, the Governor declared this past May 21st as Nevada Geocache Day, perhaps that deserves recognition like this?

After a little more thought, and at the risk of stealing this thread, I would like to toss out a question.

How many coins icons are too many?

I've noticed that for some reason people have an adversion to scrolling. I think you'll find that for most people the too much range will depend on their screen size setting.

I do feel that the user stat page is getting to the point that it needs to be split in to more than just the two groups (list of items found and list of items owned) or move some of the items to submenus.

You can easily "solve" the geocoin icon proliferation "problem" by having one generic icon for geocoins on the user stats page and move the specific geocoin icons on to the search page. Just add another column for an icon in with the name, last log, owner, location, and traveled columns.

How many coins icons are too many?

I don't think there is such a thing as too many. It's fun to have a goal of getting all the icons, and when new ones are created it's fun to try and get one.

It seems to me, that's the precise reason people don't want new icons. They fear that eventually there will be enough that it will be impossible to have them all, or at least really difficult.

There's always the possibility of improving the design of the layout and summarizing the display of many different types of coins into a smaller graphic and numerical format (similar to the cache size icon system) - maybe with an expandable section (like a tree view) to see even more details.

Like it could say Geocoins 3/10 (or however many geocoin types there are) and then 1/0/0/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/0.

I'm still hoping the coins get different looking icons. Right now all the coins except M10B's share the same icon.

I'd also like to see the icons that don't add to your find count listed below those that do. Somewhere below the find total would be nice.

For what people are paying to have them tracked on GC, its only right to have a specific icon for each coin. IIRC its like $1.50 for a minimum of 1000 coins. Surely $1500 can buy a new .jpg file to replace the generic cover all coin picture. It can't be that much code to change the icon from one to another.

To simplify the page, how about creating a sub page. The main page could show the number of caches as we have already, as well as the number of geocoins and TBs. When clicking on the geocoins it would take you to a sub page showing the break down of which coins and how many you have found. This would end the clutter so people dislike.

And while we are at it fixing the geocoins, how about making it so when i click on the German coin, it takes me to the German coins and not the entire list of every travel bug that cacher has touched. Unless i know the name of that coin, this process is usless. This goes for allthe coins and jeeps as well.

I have mentioned this several times before in these type of threads, as well as started my own about it asking TPTB, but have never gotten a reponse from anyone at GC concerning this. Maybe this will be our lucky thread since there is some demand for this.

It would seem that the criteria for having your coin listed individually has not as much to do with the size of your group or event, but the depth of their pockets. Not a judgement, just an observation. I too recall reading about the one clam fifity, 1 grand minimum for listing coins, but that doesn't make it true. (Are TPTB able to comment?) So sure, a large group or attendees of an event might be able to muster the needed purchasing power, but so could a well-to-do individual. Is there any word yet about whether personal coins are going to be included in this explosion of listed coins, or is it being limited to state coins only? Just curious. It's not like I even have my own coin, or a grand and a half.

I wouldn't mind seeing a separate unique icon for each new coin, but I also agree that there would need to be a solution to the oncoming clutter of new icons. One of my suggestions would look something like this

proposal.jpg

State coins could be initially listed by region, with a count of how many states in each region for which you have found coins. Like now, you wouldn't even see a region until you had found a coin from a state in that region. Clicking on a region would show an expanded view, like a TB search, of all the coins you've found in that region. All items that aren't included in your total cache count would be highlighted in a differnet color, or could be given a separate column.

I don't care if new coins have their icon or not (is that part of what they're paying for?) but I would like to see like things merged together on the 'front page' of someones stats, to avoid making it a huge list that has to be scrolled...

Perhaps like listed gc.com trackable 'coins total, then allowed you to click that and see more detailed listing. maybe this should be broaded to include all the trackable things? (TBs & jeeps too)

So sure, a large group or attendees of an event might be able to muster the needed purchasing power, but so could a well-to-do individual. Is there any word yet about whether personal coins are going to be included in this explosion of listed coins, or is it being limited to state coins only? Just curious

Has anyone heard of new personal coins being listed??

it seems like all the new ones are states (maryland, nj, etc), countries (germany, usa), or large events (geowoodstock).

So sure, a large group or attendees of an event might be able to muster the needed purchasing power, but so could a well-to-do individual. Is there any word yet about whether personal coins are going to be included in this explosion of listed coins, or is it being limited to state coins only? Just curious

Has anyone heard of new personal coins being listed??

it seems like all the new ones are states (maryland, nj, etc), countries (germany, usa), or large events (geowoodstock).

I seem to remember reading a post somewhere in which Jeremy said something along the lines of "aside from Moun10Bike coins no personal anything will ever be trackable on the geocaching website". Don't quote me on that, though.

Gack! If a coin is going to be listed separately it should have it's own icon. If they are gonig to look the same, lump them together!

I agree but theres one catch. What about the guy who buys the coins for the mere purpose of having the seperate icon? Now he spent money on something that isn't there anymore. Thats not fair. I am in favor of different icon, but we need a submenu to contain all travelbugs. Even more than that, I would like to hear from TPTB about these issues. They have been raised several times and I can't recall ever getting their input on this. That would clear things up greatly.

Doesn't the Maryland coin thats coming, have its own icon and it isn't the generic one?

I know TPTB are pretty busy with alot of stuff trying to keep the site working at its best for our enjoyment and pleasure, so I try to be patient. But seriously, there have been at least 5 threads about this same issue recently, or a large portion of them being directly about this, and never once has anyone gotten a straight answer. I last asked here the same questions that seems to kill each of these threads, and here we are 48 hours later with another one dying in the same way, without an answer. Lets try again and hope for the best.

Can the icons be made to better represent the actual coin itself? Doesn't the amount paid to GC justify a simple icon?

Can we make each icon linked directly to ONLY that type of travel bug and not just a whole general list? If you don't know what someone named a coin, how do you find it without going through all the TB's on someones profile.

And in the future can the travel items be made into one line on the main page with a seperate sub page breaking down all the individual items? This would also appease the members who feel the page is too cluttered.

Thanks in advance for your attention to question from a grateful cacher.

I believe that TPTB are giving this issue their full attention right now. They probably don't want to take on another project while they are currently finishing up a large one.

I've also noticed that rarely TPTB will jump right in to an issue. Unless they have already hashed out the issue they usually just sit back and watch and see what comes out of the forums. I've noticed that when someone from TPTB group issue an opinion in a thread they can directly effect the opinions of others. Which can quickly kill someone elses ideas and opinions.

Don't take this personally but i think thats a pretty weak stance, if its true. It they don't have the time to do this project right now then say so. How much work is it to change just the icons? Surely someone had to put the basic icon there when they were paid to ahve it tracked. Is it really that much more effort to say display A instead of B for this coin? I think the money that was paid for these efforts justified their attentions. Secondly,there isn't much debate going on about it for them to sit back and watch what develops. Its a question being asked of them that remains unanswered time after time. How many times does the same thing have to be asked before it become relevant enough to get some type of reply? Simply put its just rude. I don't believe for a second they don't have the time to type one message in a thread to a question that has been asked many times in previous threads. You can see replies to a lot more silly banter than this, and there was enough time to make a statement there.

...there isn't much debate going on about it for them to sit back and watch what develops... I don't believe for a second they don't have the time to type one message in a thread to a question that has been asked many times in previous threads...

<snip>

...further trackable coins should just fall under the normal geocoin category. I don't really know if having a different icon is necessary...
...improving the design of the layout and summarizing the display of many different types of coins into a smaller graphic and numerical format (similar to the cache size icon system) - maybe with an expandable section...
...I'm still hoping the coins get different looking icons...
...how about creating a sub page...
...State coins could be initially listed by region, with a count of how many states in each region for which you have found coins...
...If a coin is going to be listed separately it should have it's own icon. If they are gonig to look the same, lump them together!
...I don't care if new coins have their icon or not ... but I would like to see like things merged together on the 'front page' of someones stats...

Not a debate as in a argument but debate as in deliberation. There is a lot of interesting discussion going on in this thread.

It has happened in other threads where someone from the Groundspeak staff comes on to offer their opinion and it stops any new ideas. Then the opinion from a staff member suddenly becomes an official statement from Groundspeak. Trust that Groundspeak is following this thread and when they have something official to say about this topic they will make it known. If Groundspeak didn't care about our opinions then they would have never created this forum.

Is it really that much more effort to say display A instead of B for this coin? I think the money that was paid for these efforts justified their attentions.

Does Groundspeak charge any more for a unique icon? Have images for the geocoin icons been provided to Groundspeak?

Not a debate as in a argument but debate as in deliberation. There is a lot of interesting discussion going on in this thread.

Does Groundspeak charge any more for a unique icon? Have images for the geocoin icons been provided to Groundspeak?

Most of the people have been asking the same things and seem to agree. Megre this into a sub page field and give us the new icons. Thats why the threads continue to die, there is a majority census in agreement (rare here huh :rolleyes: ) and still no word officially.

To the best of my knowledge it is about $1500 paid to Groundspeak to have these new coins tracked (although if they wish to confirm or correct this firgure by all means please do), so yes Groundspeak has charged for a new icon. Whether the images have been provided or not is something they will have to answer at some point.

I have spoken with other who agree and are just waiting to see what the word on this is. There's not much else anyone can do.

...I don't care if new coins have their icon or not ... but I would like to see like things merged together on the 'front page' of someones stats...

Actually what the rest of that sentence said was

I don't care if new coins have their icon or not (is that part of what they're paying for?) but I would like to see like things merged together on the 'front page' of someones stats, to avoid making it a huge list that has to be scrolled...

yes, and besides what people think should be, if anything, done to the coin icons, theres also the "what is a unique icon?", "is a 'unique' icon including when buying gc.com tracking?", and "are the TPTB going to respond to this question? and when? and do they have to?"

...further trackable coins should just fall under the normal geocoin category. I don't really know if having a different icon is necessary...

And while we're at it here's the uncut sentence that I said.

I think that the ones that are here now should stay unique, because as far as I know the people who produced them are getting what they payed for (is that correct?), but maybe any further trackable coins should just fall under the normal geocoin category.

It's not nice to only quote half of what someone says. :rolleyes: That "maybe" makes a big difference. Infact, after reading what other people have had to say I like the idea of a sub-menu for coins. If that was implimented then I think it would be interesting to have multiple coin icons, which would hopefully all have different looking images.

<snip>

It's not nice to only quote half of what someone says. :rolleyes: That "maybe" makes a big difference. Infact, after reading what other people have had to say I like the idea of a sub-menu for coins. If that was implimented then I think it would be interesting to have multiple coin icons, which would hopefully all have different looking images.

I put the list of quotes together very quickly. I've been half quoted myself before. Welch, no examples are needed for this one. BTW: Did you enjoy your visit to the Sicilian country side? That is why I included the ellipsis. I also add a <snip> sometimes. Whatever looks better. Both let the reader know that something wasn't included.

As for a unique or custom geocoin icon. The Maryland state coin will have one. But, others like the Colorado state coin use the standard geocoin icon. Is this because the option wasn't available then or becuase it cost extra and they desided it wasn't worth the cost? Someone would have to ask the coin creaters or Groundspeak.

Most seem to be agreement about giving TBs and coins their own page. That doesn't mean that Groundspeak needs to take an official position on the issue. The very next post may be someone with a unique idea that is better than what has been discussed yet.

Someone would have to ask the coin creaters or Groundspeak.

Most seem to be agreement about giving TBs and coins their own page. That doesn't mean that Groundspeak needs to take an official position on the issue.

That was the point of this thread...To ask Groundspeak AND get an answer.

The very next post may be someone with a unique idea that is better than what has been discussed yet.

At what point do we stop waiting for new ideas to actually asnwer someone? If this is the theroy of wait till allthe ideas are out there, then we will wait forever. 6 years from now there will be another idea of what to do with TB's and coins. Should we stay stagnant till then?

As for a unique or custom geocoin icon. The Maryland state coin will have one. But, others like the Colorado state coin use the standard geocoin icon. Is this because the option wasn't available then or becuase it cost extra and they desided it wasn't worth the cost? Someone would have to ask the coin creaters or Groundspeak.

Can the coin producers maybe let us know whether it was an option or not as to having a unique icon versus the standard cover all coin icon?

Can the coin producers maybe let us know whether it was an option or not as to having a unique icon versus the standard cover all coin icon?

At the time of the CO Geocoins (2005) pre-production phase, it wasn't an option in the official geocoin policy. No custom icon was discussed or even offered (from either "side") at that time.

Maybe there's a development timeline that we aren't aware of and it just isn't in implementation at this moment.

ok, if you don't like all the Geocoin icons, Do not collect them! simple as that.

Most of us are going to collect and log these coins regardless of whether we like the icons or not, but there is nothing wrong with asking for change. Change is good. If there wasn't any feedback from paying customers, both paying for the premium membership and the tracked geocoin, then things would remain stagnant forever. While you are taking the simple stance, what's wrong for asking about upgrading the looks of the icon? Does it cost more to have image A instead of image B? I don't see how your stance of "take it or leave it" benefits the community. We aren't entitled to our thoughts and opinions? Asking for an icon to better represent what it is a symbol for isn't something outrageous. Look at the other icons. A question mark for a puzzle, more than one container for a multi, the earth for an earthcache....starting to see a pattern here? The only thing that is basic and dull is the coins, and those are the ones that have paid money to have their tracking done here! And not to mention the part about making them link you directly to the item(s) that the symbols are representing. I just saw someone with over 1,000 TB's. Good luck on finding the GeoWoodstock coin he grabbed. It will take you days to search all those listings. Now thats convience for you.

Here's the short scoop:

In the past few months (shortly before GeoWoodstock), we opened up the ability for orgs/etc to create their own geocoins that are trackable on Geocaching.com. Since then we have been deluged with requests for them and in addition to doing the umpteen gazillion other things to keep the site functional, we haven't had a lot of time to address the multiple coin issues.

I am aware that the rare collectors out there with more than one geocoin has to deal with multiple icons on their stats page. We'll be working to move Travel bugs to their own tab but in the meantime we'll just have to deal with it. It really hasn't been a top priority since it is only a minor inconvenience to show these icons on the page.

Yes, we are going to modify the icons so they don't look like generic coins. Each one will show the prefix (like OH for ohio) so at a glance you can see it. There will be an option for custom coins but the costs associated with it and the process has yet to be determined.

If you are a coin owner and wish to proceed with options, the best bet is to contact the web site directly. I'll handle the technical implementations of features here in the forums.

Thanks Jeremy. I don't think anyone expects it to be done before critical updates, or anything else that keeps the functioning of the site running, but it is nice to at least finally hear this is something on the to do list. New icons and the tab feature are great and will be much appreciated and allow others to see what everything is much easier. Hopefully the other part about making them directly linked from the icon to the actual item will be a part of this update also. But for now, thanks for the answers.

Often I do not interject in a thread until there is sufficient time for people to chime on on a "what do you think" thread, like this one. If I do respond it sometimes muddies the waters and stifles some ideas. I do occasionally avoid a thread for a short while and come back to it.

That was the point of this thread...To ask Groundspeak AND get an answer.

The original point was to see what folks thought. I didn't know until now that you were expecting an answer to a question. Sorry about that.

The original point was to see what folks thought. I didn't know until now that you were expecting an answer to a question. Sorry about that.

Since Jeremy's looking at this thread, I have a question for him that is quasi-related.

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that no other personal anything would ever be trackable. Just for the sake of idle curioity, is that true?

Earlier in the thread, it was mentioned that no other personal anything would ever be trackable. Just for the sake of idle curioity, is that true?

I wouldn't outright dismiss it but Moun10bike's coin is certainly unique. There are no near term plans to provide item tracking other than by using Travel Bugs.

... but it is nice to at least finally hear this is something on the to do list....

It's only been 8 working days since the OP. :laughing:

I guess I'm just not one of those people who need a 24 hour turn around.

Now I am appreciative of an answer and thought I was being patient and was actually happy about the answer. Now although I feel you are off topic about this, I will explain somewhat since this was a dig at me. This is the 4th or 5th thread these questions have been in. This was not a first time issue and I don't think by saying

I have mentioned this several times before in these type of threads, as well as started my own about it asking TPTB, but have never gotten a reponse from anyone at GC concerning this. Maybe this will be our lucky thread since there is some demand for this.
that I was being overly impatient. I respect Jeremy and what he has on his plate and don't feel I was disrespecting of him or forcing him to answer us right this minute. Why is it that some people must find something to take a shot at another for nothing more than a chance to take a shot? I wasn't rude to you or even think I was close to be harsh in my words. You seemed somewhat upset due to the fact you quoted people words, but only half of what they said for the sake of time, and they didn't like they way you snipped them. They called you out on it, but I kept my mouth shut and continued with the topic at hand. Now once everything gets answered on a nice high note and everyone is happy, you come back and throw a jab at me? What purpose is that serving at all other than to create conflict and tensions? Why did you pick me out when others in the post asked the same questions? Heck I didn't even start the thread about it, although I agree it was a very good thread and am thankful for Vargseld for starting it. You also say 8 days, yet it was opened on the 16th which was 11 days, and nine from my first post. So hopefully you can see from my post here that I was asking for an honest answer from someone in the know, and got a nice answer. I am completely unsure where all your angst towards me is coming from and honestly I don't wish to get into this with you. As far as I know, this was never an issue between us so I am confused why you are trying to start something with me. Can't we all just try to get along a little bit more? Do we really have to look for things to fight about? This is a hobby that we are all enjoying right? How much fun is it to go looking for fights? I am pretty sure from the other threads that they come to you. No need to go looking for them.

Jeremy I am sorry if I seemed like I needed a 24 hour turn around answer. I thought I was patient.

Thanks Jeremy. I don't think anyone expects it to be done before critical updates, or anything else that keeps the functioning of the site running, but it is nice to at least finally hear this is something on the to do list.

Oh and if you included the entire sentence of my post, it does take on a truly different meaning than the way you quoted it. I was thankful, not sarcastic. Post half the sentence like you did and you change the entire meaning behind it.

... but it is nice to at least finally hear this is something on the to do list....

It's only been 8 working days since the OP. :laughing:

I guess I'm just not one of those people who need a 24 hour turn around.

Now I am appreciative of an answer and thought I was being patient and was actually happy about the answer. Now although I feel you are off topic about this, I will explain somewhat since this was a dig at me. This is the 4th or 5th thread these questions have been in. This was not a first time issue and I don't think by saying

that I was being overly impatient. I respect Jeremy and what he has on his plate and don't feel I was disrespecting of him or forcing him to answer us right this minute. Why is it that some people must find something to take a shot at another for nothing more than a chance to take a shot? I wasn't rude to you or even think I was close to be harsh in my words. You seemed somewhat upset due to the fact you quoted people words, but only half of what they said for the sake of time, and they didn't like they way you snipped them. They called you out on it, but I kept my mouth shut and continued with the topic at hand. Now once everything gets answered on a nice high note and everyone is happy, you come back and throw a jab at me? What purpose is that serving at all other than to create conflict and tensions? Why did you pick me out when others in the post asked the same questions? Heck I didn't even start the thread about it, although I agree it was a very good thread and am thankful for Vargseld for starting it. You also say 8 days, yet it was opened on the 16th which was 11 days, and nine from my first post. So hopefully you can see from my post here that I was asking for an honest answer from someone in the know, and got a nice answer. I am completely unsure where all your angst towards me is coming from and honestly I don't wish to get into this with you. As far as I know, this was never an issue between us so I am confused why you are trying to start something with me. Can't we all just try to get along a little bit more? Do we really have to look for things to fight about? This is a hobby that we are all enjoying right? How much fun is it to go looking for fights? I am pretty sure from the other threads that they come to you. No need to go looking for them.

Jeremy I am sorry if I seemed like I needed a 24 hour turn around answer. I thought I was patient.

There is no need to get all defensive because someone went psycho on Jeremy in another thread. I have no plans on going psycho on anyone and I accept your apology.

P.S. I counted workdays, because I don't expect the Groundspeak crew (toadies :laughing: ) to be working on weekends, they should be out geocaching too.

Edit to add P.S.

Edited by Bushwhacked Glenn

I wouldn't outright dismiss it but Moun10bike's coin is certainly unique. There are no near term plans to provide item tracking other than by using Travel Bugs.

Thank you.

If anyone hadn't noticed, now when you click on each coin icon, only that specific coin is listed, instead of being grouped with the travel bugs. So, the travel bugs and yellow jeeps and white jeeps have their separate pages now. Although when I click on the GW3, CO, and GB icons, nothing shows up.

Thanks Jeremy...and Groundspeak lackeys!!!

If anyone hadn't noticed, now when you click on each coin icon, only that specific coin is listed, instead of being grouped with the travel bugs. So, the travel bugs and yellow jeeps and white jeeps have their separate pages now. Although when I click on the GW3, CO, and GB icons, nothing shows up.

Thanks Jeremy...and Groundspeak lackeys!!!

That's great, it's nice to have. :) You could always find the WJTB's by scrolling to the "W" but this will make it easier.

Thanks!

If anyone hadn't noticed, now when you click on each coin icon, only that specific coin is listed, instead of being grouped with the travel bugs.

Man. You find these things out far faster than I can announce them.

I also added a link to Google maps on cache pages.

If anyone hadn't noticed, now when you click on each coin icon, only that specific coin is listed, instead of being grouped with the travel bugs.

Man. You find these things out far faster than I can announce them.

I also added a link to Google maps on cache pages.

Cool! Thanks a bunch!

BUT!

How about applying the same change to trackables that you own? I click on my German Geocoin and I get the whole list of things I own.

I know .. I know..we are so demanding :)

Although when I click on the GW3, CO, and GB icons, nothing shows up.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why that is? It doesn't work on any of my coins, either. Probably something with the code, I would imagine. It's still great to see that the TB's, USA coins and Jeeps are seperated, now. Thanks for working on it!