Cachemate 4.1

I have the Garmin 60CS and I use GSAK to send the gc waypoint code (dropping the redundant "GC"), the container, the difficulty and the terrain (%drop2 %con1%dif=1%ter=1 in GSAK) as the 10 character waypoint name, and the cache name as the "waypoint description" (this shows up in the "comments" on the 60C/S and can contain up to 30 characters).

where does one find the syntax that can be used? The %dif=1 is a bit obscure as is the %drop2

TIA,

Jim

In GSAK, go to Help>Contents>Miscellaneous Features>Special Tags for a list of all available special tags and their definitions. Immediately below the list of special tags you will find:

Note: The tags %name, %by, %con, %typ, %smart, %hint, %crypt, %user, %dif, %ter also support the format %tag=nn. Where nn is the number of characters to include. For example %typ=3 would only include the first 3 characters of the cache type, so that a "Multi Cache" would be translated to "Mul"

:D

Release - CMConvert 1.9.5

This release adds support for GPX <cmt> elements, used by Geocaching.com for description text in additional cache waypoints. The Windows GUI version now includes options to invert and delete record selections.

this may be off topic for this thread, if so I apologize in advance.

I am a registered user of Cachemate and GSAK. I have been running with a Palm TX, Garmin 76CSX.

Recently my traveling requirements have gone up so I am on the road a lot more, I need to upgrade to a Smartphone like a Blackberry or Palm Treo 750 to keep up with my office email and stuff on the road.

So my question is if I get a Treo 750 will I still be able to run Cachemate in conjunction with GSAK?

If not, what are my options as far as you would recommend?

Edited by dhbaird

I have a question about the need to periodically re-purchase Cachemate.

The Smittyware site says this about the 5 registration codes you get when you buy Cachemate:

"the extra codes are really just a way to allow for hardware upgrades, which sometimes require a new Hotsync user name for Palm OS devices."

I understand that, but what happens to me is that my old Palm does not hold a charge well and if I don't use it for a week or two and don't store it on the cradle, the battery goes dead. I then need to reinstall CacheMate as it will be gone from the Palm after I recharge it. The original reg code does not work after a re-install, even though the hotsync username is the same as before. So I get a new code from the Smittyware site. 5 drains of the Palm battery and I repurchase Cachemate to start over again.

Am I doing this correctly? Or is there a way to reload CM onto my Palm, (of course using the same hotsync name), and use the original registration code?

I have a question about the need to periodically re-purchase Cachemate.

The Smittyware site says this about the 5 registration codes you get when you buy Cachemate:

"the extra codes are really just a way to allow for hardware upgrades, which sometimes require a new Hotsync user name for Palm OS devices."

I understand that, but what happens to me is that my old Palm does not hold a charge well and if I don't use it for a week or two and don't store it on the cradle, the battery goes dead. I then need to reinstall CacheMate as it will be gone from the Palm after I recharge it. The original reg code does not work after a re-install, even though the hotsync username is the same as before. So I get a new code from the Smittyware site. 5 drains of the Palm battery and I repurchase Cachemate to start over again.

Am I doing this correctly? Or is there a way to reload CM onto my Palm, (of course using the same hotsync name), and use the original registration code?

or replace the battery...

The fact that you're needing a different registration code every time proves that the Hotsync name is never the same in your case. There's a direct correlation there.

Palm Desktop stores the list of Hotsync names it has been used with, and presents that list when you sync a device with it that doesn't have one assigned, or it did the last time I checked. Just select from that list when it appears the one that you're using instead of re-entering it and making a mistake.

jhwk: By not saying anything about the process, are you acknowledging that the way I am doing it is correct? That even though the hotsync name does not change, the registration code can not be used again?

I did replace the battery on an old Palm m515 I had. I bought a new battery in orig packaging clearly labeled for the 515. Everything went fine until I powered the unit on. The screen flashed and the unit went dead and that was the end of it. Even the old battery which worked but was not holding a charge for too long, would not power it up. Only thing I could figure was the new battery fried the unit, so I don't dare try to replace it in this one.

@ Maeglin: The name is the same every time. What I do is go back to the registration email which not only has the reg code, but the "user ID". This ID matches the user name, (which does not change), on my computer's Palm program so there does not seem to be any way to go wrong with the user name. The name on the registration email, the Palm hotsync program and on the Palm handheld all match. When I run out of codes and get a new registration, I use the same UserID as always. It has never changed.

Sure is odd given what you said. Oh well, it is not the end of the world. I love the program and if I have to pay another 8.00 once a year or so, it's not a big deal.

Thanks.

@ Maeglin: The name is the same every time. What I do is go back to the registration email which not only has the reg code, but the "user ID". This ID matches the user name, (which does not change), on my computer's Palm program so there does not seem to be any way to go wrong with the user name. The name on the registration email, the Palm hotsync program and on the Palm handheld all match. When I run out of codes and get a new registration, I use the same UserID as always. It has never changed.

Sure is odd given what you said. Oh well, it is not the end of the world. I love the program and if I have to pay another 8.00 once a year or so, it's not a big deal.

Thanks.

Interesting. I had a PDA that would do a hard reset every time the batteries were changed (forcing a full reload), and I never had any problem using the same registration code.

Must be something with my setup. It's strange as the Palm is only used on this computer and the only user is "Will". Yet every time I reinstall Cachemate on the Palm, it is unregistered and does not accept the original code. I just paid again, as this must have been my 6th time since last purchase, got a new code and that one was accepted fine. It will always accept a new code, just not the old one.

The real solution for me I guess, is to not let the Palm sit unused for weeks without putting it on the cradle!

Edited by Cheminer Will

Must be something with my setup. It's strange as the Palm is only used on this computer and the only user is "Will".

That's actually one of three very different Hotsync names that I find associated with your last order. Of course, this is why there is a warning in red (with sprinklings of bold) on the code request page warning people to check their previously requested registration codes to make sure they don't waste another one, which then can't be refunded.

I just requested that order history and I get it now. I obviously did something wrong back in April of 2006 when my old Palm died in the battery mishap described above. While waiting for the new one to arrive, I used a couple of different old mono screen Palms which had different user names associated with them, using up 3 reg codes in two weeks. As usual with things technical in the end it turns out to be something I did that screws things up!

Must be something with my setup. It's strange as the Palm is only used on this computer and the only user is "Will". Yet every time I reinstall Cachemate on the Palm, it is unregistered and does not accept the original code. I just paid again, as this must have been my 6th time since last purchase, got a new code and that one was accepted fine. It will always accept a new code, just not the old one.

The real solution for me I guess, is to not let the Palm sit unused for weeks without putting it on the cradle!

I seriously think that some thing is wrong with your setup because I ahve loaded the same registration onto my old M3 and a TX and then a replacement TX all with no problems about using the registration code.

Perhaps it wold be better to change your user name on the Palm to duplicate your registration name on the software and see if that fixes it next time.