Feeling Brave?

For those of you who missed out on climbing all 4,406ft of Ben Nevis for a single cache (plus event) with Coupar Angus last month, I give you a new challenge, rather further south, but no less demanding! Oh, and it's for a cache or two more than that... :P

My Ridgeway Run series runs along the Chilterns from Ivinghoe Beacon near Dunstable towards the M40 at Kingston Blount. It passes close to several caches along the way, and the route goes near a few others.

On the 24th (Sunday next week) I have a long-distance walking cache event, ideal for any strong, brave souls who wish to find loads in a short time. Given the length of the days at the moment, the event could also be used as the basis of a 24-hour 'numbers' record attempt - the M40 end isn't far from the cacheopolis which is Oxford. Of course, if you want to drop out after 10 or 20, that would be fine!

The event starts at 10am and may go on 'til darkness falls. The return trip to the free car park at the start will be done by car (hopefully with the help of other cachers) so you don't need to worry that it's not a circular route. Alternatively it may be possible to park at the far end and get a lift to the start.

For more information, visit the cache page: RIDGEWAY RUN - The Big Event.

Hope to see you there. With a bottle of water and a sandwich :rolleyes:

SP

Hmmmm. Have you actually done this? I beg to differ that it is possible to walk 25 miles AND pick up 40 plus geocaches in 12 hours and that's from someone who spends most of their summer sundays walking 20 to 25 miles.

If the area is cache-dense enough you could get a lot more than 44 caches in 12 hours, even by walking.

How long does it take to walk 0.1 miles, find the cache and sign the log? If it takes you 15 minutes per cache, in 12 hours you could log 48 caches. If it takes 10 minutes per cache, in 12 hours you could log 72 caches. If you walk fast enough to get a cache every 5 minutes, in 12 hours you could log 144 caches!

Ah! Well, I'm producing a sheet I'll hand out on the day which will have all the co-ords, clues, instructions, etc. for every cache, plus route info where the Ridgeway isn't clear. Should keep things nice and clear. 2mph average won't be unrealistic, so long as the weather's not too horrible or good, and 'not waiting to sign the logbook' breaks are kept to a minimum. People run further in 2 hours...

SP

...and 'not waiting to sign the logbook' breaks are kept to a minimum.

Simply means there are two sorts of breaks. The sitting in a pub scratching your bottom type, and the sort you have when someone else in the group has found the cache and you're waiting for them to finish with the log book before passing it to you to sign. I expect all finders to sign the log, of course! It's just a good moment to sit down and rest your legs before the book works its way to you, that's all :blink:

SP

Simply means there are two sorts of breaks. The sitting in a pub scratching your bottom type, and the sort you have when someone else in the group has found the cache and you're waiting for them to finish with the log book before passing it to you to sign. I expect all finders to sign the log, of course! It's just a good moment to sit down and rest your legs before the book works its way to you, that's all :huh:

If you got a really short name that surely will not be fair on others :blink::o

Bump :)

Just a reminder about tomorrows event. Should be good if the weather holds off. Othewise it's going to be a living swampy hell!

SP

Looks like it's a living swampy hell then. Good luck guys.

weather report

EDIT - click on the raincloud icon and use the arrow right button at the top to scroll through the hours...

Edited by Kitty Hawk

I've nipped home for a little dinner and the German GP. It's a bit damp on the route but far from terrible. A reasonable turn-out in the end.

The big news of the day is Belplasca who'd found 9 caches before the start. He intends to walk the full length which will give him 40+ more. I suspect he may be after a certain 24-hour record!

More news when I have it :)

Awww my poor feet... Actually, I didn't walk that much of it, but what I did I needed to backtrack. Three weeks of unending sunshine and what happens on my out-door long-distance event? Gurr. In the end folks found caches in the high teens so I guess it's not so bad. Look out for 'Part 2' (Wendover and beyond) some time!

SP

The big news of the day is Belplasca who'd found 9 caches before the start. He intends to walk the full length which will give him 40+ more. I suspect he may be after a certain 24-hour record!

Well, the weather beat us!

After Paul went off for his nice cozy dinner and Grand Prix, the heavens opened and it became very wet indeed.

Which made it much harder to keep going.

Haven't tallied my total for the day yet, but something over 30...

Bob Aldridge