Make The Jeep Ugly

Lemon Fresh Dog

I am in possession of a White Jeep and will be placing it in a cache this weekend. One of the things I want to ensure it that it keeps moving and is not seen a "collectible" by cachers (our local group is good -- so I doubt we'll have problems here, but it will move on and I have read that they tend to get "absorbed").

So.... what do folks think about the idea of gluing a coin to the Jeep -- sort of a "cargo"? This would make it less of a collectable item (maybe not?)

There are a couple of concerns:

1) I really want to repsect the Jeep company's wishes to have these move. They are a neat sponsor of this contest and I'd hate to see them lose value in offering the contest to cachers. (even though I am geographically exempt from playing)

2) I want to make sure the Jeep still looks nice, but not "collectable". After all -- the Jeep should not be wrecked.

My other thought was to go out and buy a dozen little white Jeeps and place them in a bag with the official Jeep. This way, if someone REALLY wanted a $4 toy to keep they could take one.

Maybe it's just being naive and I should just move it and hope for the best. Any ideas?

Keep the jeeps moving? Who cares if they move or not. You guys get too worried and upset about such trivial matters. And if people keep them? SO WHAT. Sheesh..... AM I concerned? NOOOOOO.

But on a completely unrelated topic, I would like to say that the rumors about the White Jeep travelbugs containing a small amount of radioactivity IS true. It seems that the production point was very slightly contaminated accidentally. But they ARE completely safe, only enough radiation as a few x-rays. But that is only if you have them in your possession for a few days, or a week or so, after that the radiation has a synergic effect, meaning, that it multiplies and may be hazardous. So just drop them off in a timely fashion........... :P

I thought about modding the one I just picked up today. Then I thought it might make it harder for anyone using this one in a photo op to take a prize-winning picture, especially if my mod isn't pristine. I'm torn.

I so wanted to do custom paint jobs on the six WJTBs that I set out, but decided it was probably a bad idea because of the photos. Too bad--would've been a hoot!

I thought about modding the one I just picked up today. Then I thought it might make it harder for anyone using this one in a photo op to take a prize-winning picture, especially if my mod isn't pristine. I'm torn.

I so wanted to do custom paint jobs on the six WJTBs that I set out, but decided it was probably a bad idea because of the photos. Too bad--would've been a hoot!

I hope that won't stop you from collecting up some WJTBs after the contest and customizing them.

2182cbcd-e3bb-43a9-9426-483497238a90.jpg

As people have mentioned on other threads, the diecast itself should be available at Wal-Marts for much less than lunch money. The "proof of purchase" image above is from the box, and you can see who is marketing these.

No need to collect the WJTBs. Hopefully you can get your own and modify it to the max without ruining the "purity" of the WJTB.

If you really want collectibles, look for the larger ones made by Maisto, the manufacturer. For Angelia Jolie fans, there's even a metallic grey Tomb Raider Edition. B)

Someone (I wonder who) ran a WJTB through Bubba's Body Shop for some slight modifications. Gee, I wonder what the green GGA on the door means? It's not visible in the picture but there is a miniature ammo can in the back. Camo roll bar padding and camo interior carpet made nice touchs.

It seems to be a hit as lots of folks are enjoying logging it. I hear that Bubba got 2 cases of Bud and a gallon of shine for his efforts.

0a142b6b-6613-4f43-a82b-53347e1a478e.jpg

Keep the jeeps moving? Who cares if they move or not. You guys get too worried and upset about such trivial matters. And if people keep them? SO WHAT.

Excuse me?

Jeep paid quite a bit of money to do this promotion both through Grounspeak and through the prizes they're giving away. I'm pretty sure they care.

So when you release a travel bug, should we find them all and not care, either?

Keep the jeeps moving? Who cares if they move or not. You guys get too worried and upset about such trivial matters. And if people keep them? SO WHAT. Sheesh..... AM I concerned? NOOOOOO.

So, you wouldn't care if someone decides to keep one of your TB's?

Actually, I think the last month of the contest the picture subject is something like "trick your wjtb." I remember reading it on one of the contest pages.

I also found a bug two days ago that is identical to the WJTB's, (I had one on hand to compare it to.). The only difference was the travel bug tag didn't have the Jeep logo and name on it.

When I logged it, the bug's name is "Imposter." I thought that was pretty funny.

One of local yahoos actually disassembled our beloved "Gay Jeep" just to fit it in his hydrocache. <_< Although the cache may be, as they say, "Jeep worthy"...there is a point at which that whole "square peg/round hole" theorem needs to kick in.

Poor, poor, Gay Jeep. :rolleyes:

Edit the obligatory: Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Edited by YemonYime

When they say "trick your wjtb" im sure they didn't mean rip it apart and add stuff to it, more likely add stickers or something like that. Be kind to your WjTB! :rolleyes:

Most of these custonized jeep are jacked up by grown Adults, thats what is crazy:P

Edited by xfalcon1
Most of these custonized jeep are jacked up by grown Adults, thats what is crazy:P

I agree 100% with you. Noone should take the Jeeps apart or anything like that. This is something that is suppose to move and travel and let others enjoy. Share them with the world of cachers out there. Sure slight mods are cool if in the theme of the Jeep or contest, but mainly lets move them and let others enjoy.

So while we are talking about this, how about a friendly nudge to release the 4 Jeeps in your possession. I notice they have 0 miles combined on the so they must be travelling with you for others to log when they see you. Thats cool but kind of limiting. Kinda unfair to the cachers looking for them in caches don't you think? I am sure the cachers in your area would appreciate it. :rolleyes:

When they say "trick your wjtb" im sure they didn't mean rip it apart and add stuff to it, more likely add stickers or something like that. Be kind to your WjTB! :wacko:

this 'trick your jeep' theme is most likely in the last contest for a reason, i'm sure they don't expect them back, most people don't move them anyway.....

but I wouldn't be suprised if people did rip 'em down and do some crazy stuff to them, but if I was to mod one, I would definately wait till the rules of the last contest come out. I don't want to be blamed for someone elses losing cuz they found an ugly jeep to take photos of.

my advice: leave them 'au natural' till the contest says it's okay.