Swag Bag..what's Yours?

Cryptid

I carry my stuff in a small shoulder bag. It makes an annoying clicking sound from the strap clips on the D-rings while walking . So, I am looking for a larger, more quiet bag with more pockets on the outside. I like the black ALICE packs, but I can't make myself fork over the money for one.(Thanks to my father for making me TOO frugal! :rolleyes: )

For quick trips close to where we've parked I use a small but extremely roomy messenger bag that looks more like a purse than a messenger bag. For ones that involve longer hikes I use my favorite daypack -- a Camelback Day Star -- 2L bladder and just under 900 cu in cargo room. Just the right amount of room for the standard hiking essentials plus camera plus geocaching swag and gear.

Lately, I don't trade often. When I cache around town, I may carry one or two small trade items in my pockets. Otherwise, I will use an appropriate bag; it is not for swag, but for other necessities and conveniences.

When I first started geocaching, I carried a small backpack with enough swag to fill a trashcan! :rolleyes::P

I use a butt pack I use for hunting but since it doesn't fit without the hunting suit. I wear it in a "purse" position. I'd feel a little bit conscious about that position if it didn't have a compass and a flashlight hanging off of it. Plus it's camo. I carry everything I'd need in case of getting lost or an emergency. And a few trade items, good ones I might add.

Camelback Blowfish - 100 oz. of ice cold water makes those 95+ degree hikes bearable. Plus it's got enough pockets to carry tons of swag, munchies, compass, flashlight, TP, smokes, cell, ..... you get the idea. If I get stranded, I ain't gonna die with a fanny pack on :rolleyes:

wweellll

i started with a butt pack but it became too small....so i was using a backpack for awhile....then i found a smaller bag/carrier...i dont know what its called but its main compartmant is square and the strap is as wide as it then tapers off at a slight angle for the strap that goes all the way around my shoulder...it cost 20. and leather bought it in laughlin nevada on a trip there...very nice ..multiple compartaments...

big main i carry my walkie talkies batteries pens safety goggles and gps....other slightly smaller compartment is a ziploc filled with various assortment of swag to keep it all together and i can just pull out he ziploc and see what ive got to trade...smaller compartment i have my wooden coins in a ziploc...and in the cigarette/cellphone pocket i have a whistle...

i leave one walkie talkie and cell phone in the car with my "blocker" (mom and dad) since they cant do most of the hikes in the woods due to strenous/difficult terrain/climbing etc so they stay in the car or out on a park bench and we keep in contact with each other and they have the cell phone to use if i get into trouble...

hey i got turned around in the woods one time and was completely turned around and sort of lost...i saw someone go up the side of the ravine with a dog and figured he might know where he was going...wound up in a huge field...called on he walkie and toldthem to honk the horn...heard nothing....then i could see a road...hhhmmm ..so i called again ad said is a blue car goin by you...a white suv...a truck etc and they said yes...so i knew to head to that road...

i guess the backtrack feature is supposed to be activated BEFORE you start the hunt????....

and this thing hangs nicely in the front of me and doesnt get caught too much on things....hey i had a tree reach out and snatch my bottle of soda out of my jacket pocket...and that tree must have been a pro because i never felt it take it!!!!!!!

wanda texas

When I go on a mini cache-hunt, I just transfer my drivers licence, debit, and gas card into my Columbia Sportswear fannypack. That way I'm not lugging my purse along, or need to worry about leaving it in the car. Have a few trade items, plus the usual necessities - chapstick, brush, tissue, pen, pad. My gps fits on the belt and I like to carry my water bottle. Going purseless feels great!

My "city pack" is a Eddie Bauer "Guide" across-the-back sling. It has plenty of room for my GPS, Palm, travelbugs, and some basic trade items, along with some reading material for the subway. It also has a small pocket on the front of the chest strap to hold a pen and ID or cash for handy access.

For hiking, I use a military verison of the Camelbak Mule, holds all the essentials I would need, along with the stuff mentioned above. Space blanket, signal device (old CD), pens, batteries, flashlight, spare geo-logbooks, energy bars, bandaids, toilet paper, etc.

I use a butt pack I use for hunting but since it doesn't fit without the hunting suit. I wear it in a "purse" position. I'd feel a little bit conscious about that position if it didn't have a compass and a flashlight hanging off of it. Plus it's camo. I carry everything I'd need in case of getting lost or an emergency. And a few trade items, good ones I might add.

Team Alpha Omega,

Just wanted to let you know you are not the only one in that position, lol! I got out of the car the other day at a cache site and a few Mt. Bikers sceen me and shook there heads. But hey it works! :blink:

When out with the kids I use a camera bag, a bit smaller than a daypack. With so many small items, it's nice to have the pouches & compartments to keep everything in it's own place. I took the same approach for our hiking daypack - got the one with the most zippers/compartments.

I'm always looking for the "best" way to carry my stuff. What I've just started doing is putting everthing in a fly-fishing vest. It has a bazillion pockets--one for: Garmin Map60CS, cell phone, camera, multi-tool, batteries, cache goodies, pens, logbook, small flashlight, snacks, bandaids, water bottle in back, and when I get to the car, I just slip off the vest and put it in the trunk. Everything stays together and ready to go for the next cache/ :rolleyes:

Edited by Aodhán2irish
I like a bag with a long shoulder strap, rather than a daypack or fannypack. I just replaced my old Coleman bag with a new Nortface bag that I bought at EMS. It's really a computer briefcase, but seems to suit my preferences as a cache bag.

mine is similar to this, but smaller...and I got it for a buck at a yard sale. I swear, it is the best bag ever!

Don't trade very often anymore, but I do cram a few things in my pockets as I head out. On towards the cooler months, if I happen to put on my hunting camo, I can fit more stuff in there than you would believe--4 large pockets in the bibs, and at least 8 on the coat. Trick is remembering which pocket you put everything in....

Still rolling the ideas around in my head, but I'm planning on custom-sewing my own bag (hey, gotta see if I remember that 7th grade home ec. stuff, right? only been......10 years?)

I use an old daypack my wife was going to give to goodwill. It has three main compartments inside, some inside pockets, and two mesh pockets outside. I've modified it slightly so I can hang my gps and Palm Zire 72 on the shoulder straps. If I want to look 'casual' I only use one strap.

Inside I carry swag (of course) two compasses or more (depending on how many of my kids are going with me) a folding knife, a magnesium fire starter, gloves, flashlight, headlamp, benadryl gel, a first-aid kit, bug wipes, and usually some snack food for the kids. Outside I usually carry water, although sometimes I stuff my gloves in one of the outside pockets.

Yeah, it can get heavy.

I just grab a coupe of items from my supply that lives in the truck and stick them in my pockets in case I see something I want. But most times I don't trade. There's not often something there I just have to have.

I am curious though, and I don't mean to be a wise-a**, why carry so much extra stuff into the woods? I mean, unless one is hitting several caches in a single trip on foot, why the bag full of swag rather than 2 or 3 items? Just wondering and getting a different perspective. I know everybody has their owns reasons and motivations for the game. :lol:

I am curious though, and I don't mean to be a wise-a**, why carry so much extra stuff into the woods? I mean, unless one is hitting several caches in a single trip on foot, why the bag full of swag rather than 2 or 3 items? Just wondering and getting a different perspective. I know everybody has their owns reasons and motivations for the game. :lol:

Typically I cache with my children, and trading is a big part of it for them. So I carry swag of various values so that I can always have them trade fairly.

When I have all three of my kids with me, it's typical that they'll want more than one item from a cache. Sometimes (not often) I'll let them trade two items. That's also why I carry so much other stuff (first-aid supplies, extra water).

[edited for spelling]

Edited by CompassCollector

I use one of those little airline bags qantas gives you when you fly cattle class across the pacific ...just throw away the sox and eye mask, keep the toothbrush...and there you have a little swag bag! Even comes with a neck strap.

Considering i do that trip four or more times a year...I end up with a load of swag bags which i share between friends...

I have used various "Bike messenger" style bags that, oddly enough, were all swag I'd picked up at various trade shows, customer/vendor events and meetings. I am currently using a nice one (with plenty of large and small pockets for all my gear and swag, shoulder stap and back-pack straps) that was graciously given to me for some reason many years ago by ATG. It has their logo stitched onto it but who cares... its a swag bag!

Those of us that trade even or up want a variety of items for possible swaps just to be sure we are being fair. Also never know when you will need to restock a cache or repair it. I carry supplies for all the above.

. . . I am curious though, and I don't mean to be a wise-a**, why carry so much extra stuff into the woods? I mean, unless one is hitting several caches in a single trip on foot, why the bag full of swag rather than 2 or 3 items? Just wondering and getting a different perspective. I know everybody has their owns reasons and motivations for the game. :lol:

I often carry a lot of extra stuff, but since caching provides much-needed exercise for me, I figure the more weight I carry, the better off my cardiovascular system will be after the adventure. :lol:

Oh . . . and also for the reasons StarBrand cites . . . :lol:

I just traded up to a " 2 Day " backpack because I do caches in 2 to 3 different states. The bag is large enough to carry maps, swag, water and any other overnight gear I need. I carry a small fanny pack as a over the sholder for caches that doesnt require a lot of walking off the beaten path.

I use a Crown Royal bag! LOL! I have friend that's a bar-tender and he gave me several of these bags (actually he gave them to hubbie and I scarfed one). Great size for short hikes/searches.

Longer trips get the messanger bag from Groundspeak's cafepress' shopping section. I just HAD to have the "i use multi-billion dollar...." bag and have gotten so many comments on it. LOL!

I use a daypack(coldwater canyon)which has one large compartment and several smaller compartment(like cd player) which one holds my first aid kitand emergency tp and one holds my snacks and the smaller compartment put my batteries pens, pencils and extra baggies.leaving the large compartment for the hydration bladder,swags,maps,and the essential that i dont really want to lose