Interactive Google Maps On Cache Page

AJK

Okay, here's something I think is really cool - interactive google maps, right on the cache page - as per:

bbf85b00-667e-4954-9766-1f9f0cc36c2e.jpg

You can scroll, zoom, change one of the panes to satellite view. Once installed it automatically strips the lat long info out and places a pushpin on the map at the top of the page.

How do you get this wonderous feature??

1. Use firefox as a browser

2. Install the (greasemonkey software that "lets you to add bits of DHTML ("user scripts") to any web page to change its behavior"

3. Install the greasemap addin

Voila, automatic maps on the cache page. I (and probably others) asked the author to add the ability to parse the geocaching pages. He was good enough to oblige.

AJK,

This is very interesting and with just a little bit of exploring of this new FireFox/Google Maps tool I can see the potential. After installing GreaseMonkey I visited several cache pages and yes the satellite mapping is incredible. The get directions doesnt work with the pages I tested it with, probably because the waypoints were not on a street.

The most interesting results I got was the Virtual Hike the AT page. You can really see the all the waypoints along the Appalachian Mountains. I was a little disapointed that I could not get it to work with the "View them all on one page" link. It would be great to be able see all the waypoints on one map.

Thanks for sharing... :P

I've tried the Google maps, even better than my beloved TerraServer. some parts are blotched out on the "aerial photos" especially in a region that I've been dying to see what's behind that mountain and never got a chance to walk there yet. Oh well, I know it will improve in the future.

Try it!

Good tip on pointing out that article. The security problem's been fixed with the latest version of Greasemonkey, version 0.3.5, which disables the feature that may be exploited. If you're running the latest version, don't worry about it, but if not, update right away!

Also, thanks for the link with the user script for this! Someone mentioned it to me months ago, but I could only find the one that puts a link to Geocaching.com on the Google Maps page. Now I've got it going both ways!

AJK,

This is very interesting and with just a little bit of exploring of this new FireFox/Google Maps tool I can see the potential.

The most interesting results I got was the Virtual Hike the AT page. You can really see the all the waypoints along the Appalachian Mountains. I was a little disapointed that I could not get it to work with the "View them all on one page" link. It would be great to be able see all the waypoints on one map.

Thanks for sharing... :lol:

I just installed it and visited the listing you mentioned. It said there were 5 locations, but I only saw 4 pushpins. Maybe two were really close together??? But I did get the big map on one page to show, and the satellite image worked also.

Looks quite interesting. Seems everytime I start using Maxthon again, someone comes up with another reason to go back with Firefox.. The Geocaching.com search on the search bar is great for hunting down caches when I only remember part of the name.