Does Anyone Ever Go Alone?

ADK 46-R

Nothing wrong with caching alone. I do that a lot. I also cache with my brother. We have different search styles which help speed things up.

It's fun caching with a small group of people, 3-4 is about right for me. Any larger, and it becomes more a gathering than a caching trip. You'll have to keep in mind other people's speed and pace when you are in a group.

When I'm alone, I "waste" a lot of time by going through the log book, doing trades, taking photos for TBs and scenery, wander and explore for the heck of it, etc. When I'm in a group, I just signed the log book and don't do much else.

I cache alone about half the time. Its not really by choice though. Due to my funky work schedule, I find myself home alone during weekdays and at work in the evenings and some weekends. Because of this, I end up doing many things alone that would probably be more fun or safer with others.

I have been caching for 3 months - some rural and some urban - always with someone. I am female and frankly just wouldn't feel comfortable or safe on my own. We have delved into woods where there has been illicit camping, I have bushwacked through brambles and scared rats in the process, and walked on beaches covered in driftwood, almost twisting my ankle! I adore it all, but believe there is safety in numbers.

I also cache mostly alone. My wife does not really care for it, especially bushwhacking. My three year old can only manage some of the caches in my area. I am leery of ticks, mosquitos and poison ivy. Areas that I know have one or more of those are not areas to which I bring my child. I like caching alone for the solitude. I also enjoy caching with a group of people, when the situation works out for me. Either way, I strongly encourage you to let someone know where you are going in case something happens, even if you are with a group.

I occasionally go solo...but I find it's much more fun having someone else along! (Plus it helps split up the burden of navigating, writing down notes, figuring out which cache is next, etc.)

I am with you on this...solo sometimes...but more fun with a partner, not only for the navigating, writing, etc...but you just have to have someone to laugh at!

I actually do not like to geocache alone. I am 12 years old and in many cases I am not aloud to geocache alone. However, that is my preference as the couple of caches I have found alone (although, come to think of it it might have only been one) have been the least fun.

I'd have to say about 50% of the time, I'm caching alone. THe other 50% of the time, I either have my boys (4 and 3) with me or GeoDog or another cacher.

I don't mind caching alone, sometimes it's more enjoyable to get out by yourself and enjoy the peace and quite.

Except that I'm rarely the one doing the laughing... :lol:

:lol: come to think of it...neither am I! I am the laughee...not the laugher, but that is ok the online log is payback time for the laugher!!

edited because I realized I can't spell

Edited by ohgrl

I prefer to go with other people because there are more laughs and such. In some cases, most of my caching bud's have already done the caches I have on my to-do list, so I go for them on my own. Other times my caching bud's are not free to cache at the same time that I am, so I go caching on my own. Other times I just need to get out and have some kind time to myself as you mentioned.

I almost always have the Geomonster dog with me, but he doesn't say much and never helps me find the cache.

So yes, I do go alone, but overall it really comes down to a cache by cache basis.

I cache alone or (sometimes) with my wife. We are currently on vacation and did a few along the way between Californina and Montana. We went to Yellowstone with our daughter for a couple of days this week and did a number of virtual caches there that I'll log when I get home and can properly email the pics, etc. needed to verify the finds.

It's fun for me alone and even more fun when my wife comes along but she isn't hooked like I am. When we get the time we'll do more of the hiking type caches and likely we'll do them together since we both like the walks (and need the exercise!). A couple of the ones we did on the way here were hikes in the mountains. Awesome views and good caches.

I normally go alone mainly because I like to get an early start. I'm usually on the road or in the woods before most folk are out of bed.

Going solo also allows a better chance of seeing wildlife. You also never have anyone but yourself to argue with about which cache your going to next.

Whether you caching or just hiking in the woods, if your going alone it's always a good idea to let someone know where your going to be and when you plan to return.

As a few before me have noted, if you are caching on your own let someone know where you plan to be and when you plan to be back. Some cachers leave a note on the dashboard.

Cache responsibly! c93c2816-f870-4937-a4ab-8a548b19e2b8.jpg779e2a31-15e4-4859-a048-d652c86edc61.jpgThis happened while I was caching on a day I neglected to tell my wife I was going to go caching.

I normally go alone mainly because I like to get an early start. I'm usually on the road or in the woods before most folk are out of bed.

Going solo also allows a better chance of seeing wildlife. You also never have anyone but yourself to argue with about which cache your going to next.

Whether you caching or just hiking in the woods, if your going alone it's always a good idea to let someone know where your going to be and when you plan to return.

I also like going solo for alot of the reasons he gave

I second that! :laughing:

Speeding on dirt roads?

I was probably going a few miles faster than I should have been. (And I am serious when I say "a few" -- I was not driving like a bat out of hell.) As I approached the curve I went into a slide and did exactly the wrong thing and did not come out of the slide. The road I was driving on was slightly elevated; when my back wheel went over the edge of the raised portion of the road my fate was sealed. I was just lucky no trees got on my way. Crawled out of my broken window without injury.

To get back on thread, I still cache solo but my wife knows where I am. (And I drive a little slower on unsealed roads.)

As a few before me have noted, if you are caching on your own let someone know where you plan to be and when you plan to be back. Some cachers leave a note on the dashboard.

Cache responsibly! c93c2816-f870-4937-a4ab-8a548b19e2b8.jpg779e2a31-15e4-4859-a048-d652c86edc61.jpgThis happened while I was caching on a day I neglected to tell my wife I was going to go caching.

Did you put the note on the dashboard before or after the crash? :laughing:

I go alone quite often, for city caching its no biggie, but if you are going into the hills its a different story, as others have mentioned its always a good idea to let someone know where you are going and what time you think you will return (althought this is not always possible if its a new area), also do a little research so you know what you might run into and plan accordingly, lots of folks think carrying a cell phone is enough, its not, there are many places that your cell phone will be about as much use as a tin can with a string, always take the bare necessities, pocket knife, matches, a whistle, basic 1st aid kit, and a snake bite kit if the area dictates it.

I'm a field technician so I'm on the road all day. That means that in-between calls or on those days where I only have a couple calls I'll stop and do a couple geocaches. Of course that means I do most alone, but on weekends I'll cache with a friend.

Oh yeah, and I usually have the ham radio with me too! <_<

Edited by KF9JW
This happened while I was caching on a day I neglected to tell my wife I was going to go caching.

OMG! First, I'm glad you're OK and lived to tell the tale. Second, can I please, since you admitted your wife didn't know you were out caching, hear how that phone call went??? I can just imagine what my wife, who isn't the outdoors type so my 4 year old daughter is my usual caching buddy, would handle that call!!! Especially if she had to come get me at the scene! I'd have some electronics I could sell you folks cheap as I wouldn't have much use for them unless you were all willing to start hiding caches in my yard! <_<

EDIT: Back on topic, I travel a lot with my job so I do quite a bit of solo caching. It's great to be able to get out and about in a strange town and see some of the "real" area instead of the usual tourist attractions, if there are any. My wife has copies of the waypoints I plan to visit and the general idea of what order I plan to go after them. I check in every night while I'm out of town to tell her and the little one goodnight. I guess if I didn't call, she'd know about where to tell the search party to start looking.

Edited by Jester2112

98% of the time, I'm alone. I like the solitude...but I don't mind company if I can find some. If this sport started 20 years ago when my kids were small...then I'm sure it would be a different story. Now I'm just waiting for the grand kids.

My other half's butt is glued to the couch and he has no interest in going for a walk, let alone geocaching.

I'm alone most of the time. I do 80-100 hikes a year, mostly by myself, so caching alone isn't any different.

Took my sister to look for a few when I was visiting her and she acted bored and kept saying things like "I'll bet its been stolen" and "It's probably not here anymore" when we didn't find them right away. Although after we got back I overheard her talking to my niece on the phone about how her kids would probably like to do it.

My next door neighbor was with me for 4 of them right when I first got the GPS and was trying to figure out how to use it. She seemed to like the process okay but we haven't had the opportunity to go out again.

A friend went on a 4 mile hike with me. I looked for 2 caches, found 1 easy and the other was missing the 2nd waypoint and it was threatening rain so we had to head back to the car. She thinks I'm crazy and would rather just hike. :laughing:

I go with my daughter but I don't think she enjoys the hunt, the "treasure" (She is six.) I feel your pain. I just started and I have told several people that do not have the same enthusiasm. I guess to each his own and I would not worry about it. The real losers are sitting in front of their TV 7 hours a day. :laughing:

I do all my goecahing alone. No one wants to go hiking and looking for whatever people have hedden in the hills. Thats ok with me. I get to get out of the house and I also am preparing to hike from Happy Isles (Yosemite Valley floor) to Mt. Whitney next summer.

All things considered I would rather go with someone, but if I have to go by myself thats ok too.

castarman

am i a complete loser because i will do 5 caches in a day by myself and does anyone else enjoy this sport by themselves all time?

NO.. you are not a complete loser because of that. The first year or so I cached by myself the most of the time and spend full days out caching. I enjoyed in but caching with friends is the way to go.

I dont think your a loser for doing geocaches alone. I wish I had the nerve to try at least once to do one alone as I just cant get anyone to go with me. Some of the areas I have been in looking for geocaches are not places to be by oneself, not safe being a woman alone and all :blink: , etc....after reading some of these replies I am really surprised by how many do them by themselves. OH well, I say keep doing them and dont feel like a loser. :rolleyes:

Seeing and this thread's in the Newbies area, and having had a little incident while caching once, I thought I'd toss in some info on what I bring when doing "Woodland" caches.

1). A hydration Backpack

2.) First aid kit w/Snakebite kit

3.) Music CD/DVD (the mirrored side makes an excellent signalling device)

3.) 3 military style belts (for making stick splints)

4.) LED Flashlight

5.) Zippo Lighter and Fluid

6.) Cell Phone

7.) GMRS Radio (for areas where a Cell doesn't work)

8.) Dehydrated Foods and Trail Mix

9.) Alchohol Stove

10.) Military Mess Kit

11.) Rain Gear

12.) Fresh Socks

13.) 4 Large Plastic Garbage Bags

14.) GPS'r of course

15.) If you're a smoker, extra packs of smokes!

Usually my wife and I go caching together. Both of our packs are loaded identically in case one of us is hurt and the other has to leave and walk out for help.

This setup is not a total result of our experience. We had a lot of that stuff with us on that particular Cache. Some of the additions to it ARE a result of that Cache. If you're caching alone in the woods, just about anything can happen and it's best to be a good Boy Scout and be prepared! The gear that I've listed should be able to take care of you in nearly any situation and sustain you for a couple of days if necessary. I'm thinking about adding a Pistol to it but haven't quite been able to bring myself to it.

This may sound extreme but it's not at all and well worth it if you find yourself starnded for some unexpected reason. Also, as others have stated, leave a list of the cache locations, with the order you intend on doing them at home as well as a best guestimation of when you think you'll be back.

The adventure was partially a result of our own stupidity ( should have waited 'til the next day to do it) but overall this, or something like it or worse, could happen to anyone. Even those of you who say "That'll never happen to me."

Be prepared. Be careful. Be safe!

If you'd like to see our logs from the cache I mentioned...

Our Little Adventure

I should also mention that this is a great Cache! If you get the opportunity, do it! A great area to see Elk, Whitetail Deer, Turkey and Grouse. There is also a possibility of seeing Rattlers. Snake boots are recommended while caching. If you continue to the end of Mason Hill Road you will run into a cleared top of the hill. There is an Elk Watching area going in here. It's a beautiful view in about 280 degrees of the mountains. Bring a Camera. Now that the leaves are starting to turn for Fall, it should be absolutely gorgeous!

Most of the time, I go alone. Hubby works alot but really doesn't like me going alone. Just can't get him as excited about caching as I am. Sometimes I take a friend with me. Just introduced caching to a friend last week. She loved it but she also works. Have taken my mom on a few caches too. Kids are 16 and 11, more of a pain than fun. LOL. Might be fun to cache with other registered cachers, but mostly I like the idea of being out on my own. So far I have found my way home. LOL. Wondered a couple of times but all was good.

I frequently cache alone. I've been hiking alone for many years. Over a thousand miles on the AT by myself.

My caching partner enjoys caching. He has his limitations. He does not like rocky climbs. I respect that. So, by myself, I do run out looking for FTFs, and I try to do the more difficult ones by myself.

I almost stepped on a black bear once. If the bear hadn't run, it might have been days or weeks before anyone found me...

Oh, well. You puts down your nickel, and you takes your chances.