Wyoming Geocoin

KKTH3

This is so awesome. At this rate the Wyoming geocoin will be prepaid by everybody on the list before anybody even sees the artwork. Then, when the artwork is finally released sometime in the next decade, it will probably look horrible and everybody will want to back out of their orders. 

I am not sure that ShowStop understands that this is not a Pre-Pay list. This is simply a waiting list to be on the pre-pay list.

Exactly my point. How rediculous does that sound?

If Showstop looked closely, it would have been noted that certain people were only interested IF the coin were gc trackable.

I did notice. I especially noticed where several people asked if the coins would be GC.com trackable without a specific response.

This thread has gone from a psuedo discussion thread to a pre-order thread and will probably turn into the payment thread...without formalizing the details of the coin...much less show the design. This thread should have never moved past the discussion stage until artwork and details were announced. I see many unhappy coin buyers in the future.

This is so awesome. At this rate the Wyoming geocoin will be prepaid by everybody on the list before anybody even sees the artwork. Then, when the artwork is finally released sometime in the next decade, it will probably look horrible and everybody will want to back out of their orders. 

I am not sure that ShowStop understands that this is not a Pre-Pay list. This is simply a waiting list to be on the pre-pay list. If the coin is not pleasing, we are under no obligation to purchase. If Showstop looked closely, it would have been noted that certain people were only interested IF the coin were gc trackable.

I didn't see Showstop on the list; so what is the compaint?

I relly don't see it as a complaint...I see it as a concern...the same concern that made me get out of the coin club I was in...they buy anything that comes out...it's very simple if you think about it...1k coins spoken for and still no art work...they may not be ready to be paid for yet but why would anyone let that many people put their name on a waiting list without at the very least a hand drawing of what the coin might look like...this is just not a good way to do it...

I'm getting ready to have some coins made myself but I will post the art work at the same time I announce the coins...just my 2cents

And you are correct before you say anything my name isn't on the list either...and for that very reason...

Very well said. That was the same point I was trying to get across in my post. The coin may be awesome, it could be very plain...but how do we know??

The discussion going on in the Iowa coin thread is how things should really have happened here. That state doesn't have any artwork yet, but at the same time, they aren't taking orders. I think there have been at least 50 orders even though the first post says they won't accept orders at this time. Even the organizer is joking about the orders and comments. I'll probably by twice as many Iowa geocoins to make up for the Wyoming coins that I have no intention of buying...ever!

So, just to play devil's advocate:

Why would you go to the extreme effort of getting artwork and posting it and soliciting feedback and on and on, when you can get orders for 1000 coins without doing a darn thing?

I am reminded of the quote (probably not really relevant) in response to a question about a popular restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

Apparently the process isn't so bad.

Now, if I had expressed interest some time ago I'd be getting antsy by now <_<

I am reminded of the quote (probably not really relevant) in response to a question about a popular restaurant: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded".

Nice quote. This whole thread is case in point of why the geocoin craze is getting out of hand. I'll resist the urge however. Yeah I want a GC.com trackable coin as much as the next person, but I'm not gonna support this coin.

IMHO, the real problem here is all the people that jump on any thread about a new coin and start posting the number of coins they want to order. I don't see it as being their fault that people have already posted orders for over 1000 coins before the design is even published.

The title of this thread is "Wyoming Geocoin, chance to provide input", not "We're taking pre-orders now". Unfortunately, in trying to keep up with the demand, this thread appears to have turned into the pre-order thread.

IMHO, the real problem here is all the people that jump on any thread about a new coin and start posting the number of coins they want to order. I don't see it as being their fault that people have already posted orders for over 1000 coins before the design is even published.

The title of this thread is "Wyoming Geocoin, chance to provide input", not "We're taking pre-orders now". Unfortunately, in trying to keep up with the demand, this thread appears to have turned into the pre-order thread.

I agree 100%. I've seen it happen on forums all over the net. Someone will post something and then the whole thread degrades because someone else didn't bother reading the whole thing. Then everyone else jumps on the same boat. I see that I even have a coin "pre ordered", so I guess I'm quilty of it, too.

I see that I even have a coin "pre ordered", so I guess I'm quilty of it, too.

I also have a coin pre-ordered. At one point it became obvious that they were going to try to fill the requests of all the people that were already posting pre-orders here. Since I want to collect all the State coins, I figured I'd better get my name on the list, or be shut out on another coin.

Hopefully they won't start asking for payment on these pre-orders before their design is finalized. For now, it just seems like they are trying to keep everyone happy, and people are even complaining about that!

I also have a coin pre-ordered. At one point it became obvious that they were going to try to fill the requests of all the people that were already posting pre-orders here. Since I want to collect all the State coins, I figured I'd better get my name on the list, or be shut out on another coin.

That's exactly why I put my request up there already...

As folks in the Wyoming area should be aware, there is an event coming up in Casper next weekend...

Nancy English Park Geo-Meet

The Lady K portion of KKTH3 has made some preliminary designs of a Wyoming state geocaching coin and the other 2/3 of KKTH3 has agreed to be at the event next weekend. Sadly, due to prior commitments we will not be able to stay long but the best guarantee if you want to have input into a WY geocoin design would to be at the picnic shelter between 12 and 1 on the 23rd. After the event we should have a decent direction in how to make this dream become a reality.

OK - quoting the original post so that people can see what the original purpose of this thread was for. We have refrained from posting answers on this thread because we are not the decision makers for this coin - we simply provided the artwork. The last thing I want to do is provide mis-information and while people want to get an answer to a question like "are they GC trackable?" all I can say is that the intention in July was to make silver coins trackable and bronze coins not trackable, but that information is second hand from over 2 months ago. I don't want people basing monitary decisions based on the hearsay I got that long ago.

Yes, I have been in the loop enough to have more information than most on this thread, but the degree of "more" is really not much at all. Take the rest of this post with a grain of salt, but I will explain what I know to the best of my ability.

1) I posted this thread to help generate awareness of a geo meet in July where preliminary artwork for the coin was revealed. I wanted as many local people to have a chance to provide their own imprint on the personality of a state coin. Our only links to the project have been providing the artwork and having a local interest in something representing geocaching in Wyoming.

2) The preliminary artwork was reviewed and a front and back design was chosen - however, several changes were requested to be made. The plan was that the contact with the coin manufacturer would set up a pre-pay site and a COMPLETELY SEPARATE thread would give all of that information, complete with artwork and trackability options and costs.

3) Due to certain people with busy lives outside of this hobby, the project had to take a back seat - meanwhile an "interest list" was generated so that we can have a good idea how many coins would be minted and be able to provide exact costs on the ordering website. One concern that we had was how a sparsely populated state with quite frankly only a couple dozen active geocachers would be able to generate enough interest in a coin to be worth minting. It ended up being far more than what any of us thought was possible.

4) In September we were contacted once again to make changes to the artwork. At this time OUR schedule is a lot more complicated and all we were able to do is turn over the artwork in its current state. Any additional changes would have to be done by the coin manufacturer.

5) The artwork being provided is professionally done and therefore under copyright and released only for the purpose of the minting of a Wyoming geocoin. For that reason, we are unable to publish the preliminary artwork on the website until the approval process with the mint has been completed. In all likelyhood, I wont see the final design myself until it is up on the ordering page, so even though I know the preliminary design - it is not something I would want to proclaim as the actual product anyway.

6) Currently, we are waiting on the development of the coin just the same as all of you are. I do not know what the costs will be, how many will be minted, what the ordering site and payment methods will be or the trackability options of the coins. I know this information will not be acceptable to a number of people watching this thread, but like I said before, its all I got and I'm not willing to provide speculation.

I hope that clears up the purpose of this thread. I'll leave it unlocked for now so dblrngr can keep her tally of coin interest, but once I know an ordering site is available I will close the thread with a link to the ordering site so this project can move on to a more productive stage.

Edited by KKTH3

KKTH3, good explanation. I for one don't mind when it takes a long time to go from an idea to a finished product. Often those are some of the best out there, besides it gives me more time to find some money.

I do think you can post the art. This thread is for the purpose of minting a WY coin. The coin will be issued, the people to whom it will be issued/sold need to make a decision based on the art. It's all related to minting the coin. Artists typically retain the copyright but the person paying retains the use, but I don't know your specific arrangment. Of course it sounds like you are not the one to make that decision.

Yowser...just jump on to see what was up. To my surprise alot has happened day.

1. Orders. Our intention was not to take pre-orders. All of a sudden everyone started indicating their wishes. The "list" was kept to see how many might be interested. Obviously the more numbers of possible orders makes the cost of tracking more feasible. I hope that Ross will jump in here soon and fill everyone in on the tracking. I believe the costs will still be $5.00ish and $10.00ish.

2. Ordering. My hope is that since so many people jumped in and put their name on "the list" that they will have first shot when the ordering starts. Hopefully I can e-mail everyone when the site is available and give everyone 2 week or so to order before the site is open to the public (those wanting on a waiting list).

3. Design. If the design is not up to your expectations, simploy do not order. Your indication that you were interested certainly does not bind you to an order. I do hope that we get something up soon.

4. Trackable: Last time I heard from Ross it may be possible to track the bronze and the silver with the number of people that are responding. Again, I'm sure Ross can add more to this conversation.

5. Silver coins. I do not know the weight or anything about them. Ross. help us out on this one also.

To those that are patiently waiting, I hope that this process gets completed very soon.

dblrngr

Ok everyone, here is the status update.

Currently, I'm waiting for the design to come back to me for approval. Once it's approved then I will post it on a new thread.

There is a difference is cost per coin for the silver vs. the bronze. When I talk to our supplier, I will ask about the wieght of the silver coins.

I'm supposed to get the art work sometime this coming week.

2.  Ordering.  My hope is that since so many people jumped in and put their name on "the list"  that they will have first shot when the ordering starts.  Hopefully I can e-mail everyone when the site is available and give everyone 2 week or so to order before the site is open to the public (those wanting on a waiting list).

My hope is you don't. I didn't post a "I'll take 2" message because this tread was never billed as a pre-order list. Giving everyone that did a heads-up email is just inviting more of this behavior on other threads. If anything, exclude them until the people that didn’t post have ordered.

Edited by Husker
2.  Ordering.  My hope is that since so many people jumped in and put their name on "the list"  that they will have first shot when the ordering starts.  Hopefully I can e-mail everyone when the site is available and give everyone 2 week or so to order before the site is open to the public (those wanting on a waiting list).

My hope is you don't. I didn't post a "I'll take 2" message because this tread was never billed as a pre-order list. Giving everyone that did a heads-up email is just inviting more of this behavior on other threads. If anything, exclude them until the people that didn’t post have ordered.

Ditto. That would be immensely unfair to those waiting patiently for an official order request and trying not to clutter up 'non-order' threads. When the time comes, we better be able to get 48 coins for the PCC club. ;)

Edited by hydnsek
We are now at 1,000 coins.  Any posts beyond this one will be on a waiting list of sorts.

I am concerned that I have some names down for bronze coins that are also part of an ordering group.  If this is true,  could I please have the person that is in charge of group ordering PM me and let me know so I can get the list fixed.  My hope (i'm not sure how the pay pal stuff works) is that everyone on this list will have first ordering privledges. 

WYlostinMA is working on finalizing the ordering thru pay pal.  The design should also be forthcoming. 

Again, thanks to all of you for your patience.

(OFFICIAL LIST)

NAME -  Bronze / Silver

9Key - 0 / 3

2Bugs - 2/ 2

2golfers - 0 / 2

Allanon - 0 / 1

Alnilam - 4 / 2

AtlantaGal - 1 / 1

avroair - 2

badlands / 10 - 2

Balla & Silly - 0 / 2

Barthonis - 1 / 2