Pq E-mail Problem

beejay&esskay

I have two PQs that ran about 2 hours ago. They are both set to go to my gmail account.

They haven't arrived. I'm not sure if this is due to the other database errors today...but is this a general problem...or it is just me?

I've checked the obvious things:

gmail doesn't have any spam filters as far as I know

my account isn't full

these are old PQs that have run successfully many times and sent to gmail

they do produce output in preview mode

Wish I'd have seen this BEFORE I had one sent to my g-mail tonite. Guess I won't stay up waiting for it. Hopefully, it'll be sitting in my inbox waiting for me in the morning. Yes, I have space in my inbox, and the "preview" on mine gives me the expected results, and the PQ dropped to the bottom of the list indicating that it ran tonite.

I got three this morning, but I just ran a new one; it claims to have been processed, but the PQ result has not arrived. My wife had 4 that supposedly ran before 5 pm (Pacific time); they have not arrived more than 4 hours later.

Someone at Groundspeak needs to go wake up the hamsters that run the mail server.

Elias posted that gc,com will be offline at 10PM PDT. They are having database problems.

Well crud, I was trying to get a PQ of the tahoe area. Double drats.

--Marky

P.S. I've been getting found logs, just not the PQ e-mail.

I guess no one reads the announcement threads :P

I read both of them. FYI, neither of them addressed the delay in sending e-mail. My PQ, which ran at 6:41am this morning has not yet been deliivered as of 8:35am. Normally, I receive my PQ e-mail within 2 minutes of when it completes. Something is still a bit off. :rolleyes:

--Marky

Edited by Marky

10:40am and still no pocket query in my inbox. Has anyone received any this morning, and if you did, how long did it take from when it originally ran? Oh well, at least this one isn't as important as the other one that did make it through. This one was just an I-80 gap filler.

--Marky

I read both of them. FYI, neither of them addressed the delay in sending e-mail. My PQ, which ran at 6:41am this morning has not yet been deliivered as of 8:35am. Normally, I receive my PQ e-mail within 2 minutes of when it completes. Something is still a bit off.

For some reason, both Yahoo and Hotmail are throttling our connections to them and that's caused an enormous backlog of mail to build up on our server. As a result, all mail, even non-Yahoo and non-Hotmail are being delayed.

Per message delivery delays vary wildly, but are ranging between 30 minutes and 3 hours.

I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

:rolleyes: Elias

Per message delivery delays vary wildly, but are ranging between 30 minutes and 3 hours.

I'll keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get any worse.

Thanks for the update Elias.

Just as an FYI, I'm up to a 4+ hour lag (est). E-mail is time stamped 9:58 am and I just received it at 2:17 pm (all est).

For some reason, both Yahoo and Hotmail are throttling our connections to them and that's caused an enormous backlog of mail to build up on our server. As a result, all mail, even non-Yahoo and non-Hotmail are being delayed.

Hotmail uses Sender Id Framework and Yahoo! is either using it or something similar in a effort to reduce Spam or at least identify who is sending spam. Could be the reason that they are throttling geocaching.com.

Hotmail uses Sender Id Framework and Yahoo! is either using it or something similar in a effort to reduce Spam or at least identify who is sending spam. Could be the reason that they are throttling geocaching.com.

Both Groundspeak.com and geocaching.com have valid SPF records, so I don't think that's it. I also don't think most SPF implementations are very sophisticated yet. For example, Gmail inserts the result of its SPF check in the headers of each message they accept, but they don't act on it yet. I purposely sent an email from another domain which would return a hard fail (and Gmail's headers reflected that), but it was still delivered to my inbox.

I think its more of a connections per second threshold that they have to prevent their servers from being overloaded with large bursts of mail.

:rolleyes: Elias

I have two PQs that ran about 2 hours ago. They are both set to go to my gmail account.

They haven't arrived. I'm not sure if this is due to the other database errors today...but is this a general problem...or it is just me?

I also started having problems with getting gc.com email to my gmail account -- not just PQs, but watchlist and owner email too. There's a lag of between two and five hours on everything (this started sometime yesterday). At first I thought it was gc.com problem, but then I thought maybe it was gmail itself. So I sent myself a message from a non-gmail account, and sure enough, there was a four-hour lag between the send and receive times. So something's apparently weird with gmail today.

Yahoo and Hotmail are throttling our connections to them and that's caused an enormous backlog of mail to build up on our server.  As a result, all mail, even non-Yahoo and non-Hotmail are being delayed. 

Isn't signal running postfix? Do you have SMTP connection caching configured? If you're making more than a couple connections an hour to the likes of Yahoo, Hotmail, Gmail, and other high-profile servers, tinkering with smtp_connection_cache in your postconf could be a big win for you. In fact, for those you might even win more by calling them out in per-destination connection caching.

(It's been years since I've done postfix...)

And if you really did mean 'connections' in the laymans sense and not the SMTP or TCPIP definition, I'll hush and climb back under my rock now. :-)

I have three queries that claim to have run today, one at 12:15 (PDT) and 13:15 both to comcast, and a third set to gmail at 13:37 to see if it was a comcast problem. by 14:17 none had arrived.

The PQ that claimed to have ran at 13:15 just arrived at my comcast email address at 14:21, first and third PQ's are still awol.

Additional information: by 14:43 all had arrived.

Edited by Blanston12
Isn't signal running postfix? Do you have SMTP connection caching configured?

Yeah, we're running Postfix. But you would publicly ridicule me (and with good reason) if you knew how old the version is that I'm running. So lets just say that I can't take advantage of that option. :rolleyes:

However, that being said, sitting next to me is a shiny new replacement mail server, and it will be running a current version of Postfix. In addition to being a much faster piece of hardware, there are two things that will really alleviate this problem. First, I'll be able to take advantage of some of the new Postfix features like connection caching as you suggest. Second, I plan to take domains such as hotmail.com, yahoo.com, and possibly aol.com which always give me trouble and create separate transport maps for them so their deliveries will be run on a different set of processes from the regular deliveries. That way, they can throttle me all they want and it won't affect everyone else's mail.

This new server should be installed in the next week or so.

:P Elias

Is there a problem with the system sending out GPX files. I haven't recieved a file since the 12th, and am wondering if it is broken? :rolleyes:

Marvellous - I have recieved my update (all of a sudden). Do I have to post a request/prompt here each time I want a GPX update or will it come through automatically? :P

I only get a pocket query if it's a new one.  None of my exisiting ones came through.

I'm seeing the same thing. According to my PQ list, the last time any of my queries ran was 7/13 at 7:26 P.M. (PST)

EDIT: It turns out it was just because of the backlog on the PQ server. I created a new PQ that basically included the caches I was waiting on and it ran almost immediately since it had never run before. I went through and turned off a few queries and rescheduled the remaining ones for less congested days.

Edited by areynolds65
Isn't signal running postfix?  Do you have SMTP connection caching configured?

Yeah, we're running Postfix. But you would publicly ridicule me (and with good reason) if you knew how old the version is that I'm running. So lets just say that I can't take advantage of that option. :P

Sounds like no ridicule is in order. You know the solution and you have it almost in hand. Connection caching (and, as you suggest, moving high runners to their own thread) should improve things for you.

Thanx,

I'm still missing PQs. I have three that should of ran on the 20th (two of the three did), two on the 21st (neither ran), three on the 22nd (one of the three ran), three sit for the 23rd (so far none ran).

Edited by AMH209

Not in general. All my PQs go to gmail and I rarely even have to think about it.

If you've tried all the standard fixes (check filters, try a different address and see if that works, etc.) and you can't figure this out, this is probably the kind of issue you'd send to the support people.

(Unless you are lucky enough to have Jeremy or the other frogs see this...but you really can't count on that...and it really is YOU :ph34r: ... [don't take offense, but there isn't a general gmail problem...so what does that leave])

I'm still having issues with PQ's not showing up in my Gmail Inbox.

They're not going into your Gmail account because you haven't specified a Gmail email address. The three PQs that were generated this morning were sent and delivered to the email address in your account profile.

;) Elias