Left Screen Protector On To Long

I had left a screen protector on my SporTrak Pro for a little over a year. I decided to removed it today since I was planning on selling it and the prospective buyer would want to see the actual screen. When it was removed there was an area at the top of the screen about 3/4 inch by 1/4 inch that was fogged. Looked like really fine scratches. (The scratches were not there before) First of all has anyone else had this experience. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to get rid or them. I remember soomeone suggesting some kind of polish in the past, but being dial-up, I cannot complete a search before it times out

Need your help!

Not sure how it would get scratched. Maybe it's residual glue? I've had some luck with using a sticky tape and pulling off quickly. There are also plastic polishes available at auto parts store. The underlying problem is LCD screens are fragile. Whatever you do you will have to consider the risk of permanent damage. Mike

I am SO TOTALLY not recommending this (that was a legal disclaimer, in case you didn't recognize it), but I accidentally got evil, plastic-eating DEET on my Legend's front screen, and it polished out some old scratches. I would go with a solvent before an abrasive, I think. And, frankly, my instincts tell me leaving it as it is would be the wisest course...

It sounds more like residue than scratches to me. Be VERY careful using chemicals! Some of them will fog a clear piece of plastic like the screen. My advice is to try a product called GooGone. You should be able to get it at Wal-Mart. Don't quote me on it, but I think its safe on plastic. Read the label before you buy it, its kind of expensive. Something like 7 bucks for a small bottle. Just my 2¢ and advice.

-JR

I just went down to my Meguiar's dealer and asked him what I should use. He sold me a bottle of Meguiar's Plastx clear plastic cleaner and polish. 3 drops and very little elbow grease and the screen looks brand new. don't know if what was on there was very fine scratches or residue from the screen protector, but whatever it was it's gone. Thanks for the helpful advise.

:rolleyes:

I am SO TOTALLY not recommending this (that was a legal disclaimer, in case you didn't recognize it), but I accidentally got evil, plastic-eating DEET on my Legend's front screen, and it polished out some old scratches. I would go with a solvent before an abrasive, I think. And, frankly, my instincts tell me leaving it as it is would be the wisest course...

Pictures of Mr. Bean and the Mona Lisa keep running through my head for some reason. :rolleyes:

/If you saw the movie you would understand...

And, frankly, my instincts tell me leaving it as it is would be the wisest course...

This is your best course of action.

Take from someone who has screwed up a few optical plastics.

But contacting the manufacturer and finding out exactly what the surface is composed of and then contacting that manufacturer is the very best way to go.

If you really can't stand it.

I just went down to my Meguiar's dealer and asked him what I should use. He sold me a bottle of Meguiar's Plastx clear plastic cleaner and polish. 3 drops and very little elbow grease and the screen looks brand new. don't know if what was on there was very fine scratches or residue from the screen protector, but whatever it was it's gone. Thanks for the helpful advise.

:rolleyes:

:P I've even used it on the lenses of my glasses.

They even have a heavy duty scratch remover with 3000 grit sandpaper included in the kit.

I started using it about 35 years ago on the side windows of my CJ5