New Cache By Cacher With No Experience?

A new cache appeared about 15 miles from me some 10 odd days ago, to date no finders. Looking at the profile of the placer, it appears the placer has zero finds under their belt. It also appears that none are too keen at looking for it, as to say the least the cache looks a bit hazardous. What are your opinions on caches hidden by anyone not having found a cache themselves, especially if the cache looks hazardous?

It's quite common for caches to be placed under names that have never found a cache, usually the placer has a different caching name as well, or is part of a team, but has placed this one as an individual.

Looking at the cache in question it seems quite an exciting one and a location worth a visit, yes hazardous to an extent, but there is a public footpath close by so it can't be that bad. This doesn't look like the work of a newbie. Also, look at the last line - "contains the usual camera and odds and ends" - suggests he's seen a few caches.

Yes good answer Kitty Hawk. I will wait and see what is said by the first finders. Must admit though, the thought of shaking holes opening up, makes you wonder if the ground you walk on is at all firm. Would hate it to open up and find myself, or my dearly loved, falling into a cave. lol. Not having a map of the area I of course have not been able to determine footpaths. I have added this cache to my watchlist, will be interesting who will be first. Who knows, if none bother by the weekend, we may even go up and 'take a look.'

The descripton makes clear that this is a cache for experieinced hill walkers and warns of the specific dangers of the area. It is difficult to find fault with that, and I see no reason why novice cachers should stick to setting easy caches. For all I know the cache setter is an experienced walker in the area. I think the accuracy and detail of the description is precisely why it has not been found yet.

I have some reservations about apparently novice cachers with no finds setting caches - but as you can have multiple accounts on GC.com such a rule would be difficult to enforce, and I can't see anythign this cacher has done that is not in line with the guidlines and good practice.

Yes good answer Kitty Hawk. I will wait and see what is said by the first finders. Must admit though, the thought of shaking holes opening up, makes you wonder if the ground you walk on is at all firm. Would hate it to open up and find myself, or my dearly loved, falling into a cave. lol. Not having a map of the area I of course have not been able to determine footpaths. I have added this cache to my watchlist, will be interesting who will be first. Who knows, if none bother by the weekend, we may even go up and 'take a look.'

I used the greasemonkey scriptdiscused here to get the online 1:25000 map of the cache direct from the cache page. There are a lot of holes marked!

What a great location. I have caved and walked in this area. Yes you need to be careful especially with shake holes. But shake holes don't suddenly appear unless it's a the result of a collapsed cave below. This is only likely to happen with severe rainfall and is a very, very rare event. Shake holes are most likely the result of millions of years of erosion as water dissolves the limestone. As stated - "Do not attempt this challenge unless you have some experience as a hill walker, and you have appropriate walking boots and clothing."

Personally, I'd rely on a map to get me to Carreg Goch and use the gps for the last 50m. Setting of from the path "following the arrow" would not be wise.

There is much excitement in Cheshire at them moment, caused by a series of caches released at monthly intervals by Mutato Nomine. Mutato has neither any finds nor any other releases, but these caches are the work of a very experienced cacher....

By the Way - Mutato Nomine is Latin for name change.... so it's VERY possible that the placer of your cache is using a different name, or is going it alone after being part of a team!

This cache looks perfectly fine to me. The placer has done some research in what sounds to be a unique area and cautioned seekers that they should be careful.

We did Ben Nevis last month and there are plenty of places to slay yourself up there - probably moreso than the cache in question.

C-A

Having a few mountain caches created to my name accuracy of detail and route is paramount, particularly in somewhere as changeable as the beacons. done a lot of walking there myself, and have a virtual on the most touristed mountain in the area (pen-y-fan). Having been sat atop the mountain in horizontal hail and 100ft vis preperations are vital. The group i was walking with all had full mountain rations and kit, and when we realised the severity of the weather we followed our escape route off the mountain. If less experienced cachers climbing a mountain with footpaths refered to by hillfolk as motorways hit conditions like this they might be less fortunate. people are regularly lifted off pen-y-fan and the surrounding mountains, so such caution in a log is always advisable. the more information the better. one would hate to know an inexperienced hill / mountain walking cacher went looking for your cache and got into difficulties. on another of my mountain caches (in ireland) i have a string of waypoints leading up the side of the mountain so it is possible to do in very poor visibility (which does happen).

The better warned cachers are then the less chance of something going wrong. In such terrain it is perfectly possible and safe to get to the cache but more precautions need to be taken than a walk in the park.