Garmin Maps: Which Shoud I Get?

Sandrino

I just purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista C. I can see already that I want detailed maps. The map that is preloaded lacks detail and seems inaccurate. I was looking that the Gravin Maps and I see that I can get the Sity Select or the City Navigator (North America V6). What is the difference between these maps? Which one should I get, select or navigator? Are there other maps available for the eTrex Vista?

I am planning trips to Key West, Cozumel (Mexico) and Arizona (Sedona, Grand Canyon) this year. I don't do a lot of off road driving or hiking so I don't think I need Topo maps. I am mostly interested in geocaching and geotagging of my photos.

I have City Navigator V6 tht I use on both my StreetPilot 2610 and on the Vista C. Either one will do autorouting. I have never had the opportuinity to compare them side by side, but I have been told that Navigator does a better job at autorouting than Select does. Other than that, I think they are pretty much the same. Navigator does cost a bit more however.

I own a Vista C with City Select and TOPO and where ever I am, navigationally speaking, I own! I can do a search for nearest restaurnts, every road is in the up to date, auto routing is 1000x better than with the TOPO. I don't have Navigator, but City Select is awesome in my view.

Hi,

I am interested in drawing tracks over the cities that I fly over in airliners. What I want to do is to be able to view the cities that I fly over on my computer screen since the screen on my Etrex Vista is so small. Also, I would like to be able to view on my computer which streets I ride my bike down in the city. Which Garmin software would work best for these functions? I'm currently in Colorado, but I do travel to Hawaii once a year to visit family.

I'm not interested in finding where the nearest restaurants/ post offices are. Perhaps that is a nice feature to have, but I find it to be completely unneccessary.

Thank you!

Hi,

I am interested in drawing tracks over the cities that I fly over in airliners. What I want to do is to be able to view the cities that I fly over on my computer screen since the screen on my Etrex Vista is so small. Also, I would like to be able to view on my computer which streets I ride my bike down in the city. Which Garmin software would work best for these functions? I'm currently in Colorado, but I do travel to Hawaii once a year to visit family.

I'm not interested in finding where the nearest restaurants/ post offices are. Perhaps that is a nice feature to have, but I find it to be completely unneccessary.

Thank you!

The use of personal GPS devices during flight is not generally cleared by most airlines. The guy/gal in the left front seat has the word on it. Have a flight attendant ask the captain if he/she approves the use of your GPSr after the use of personal electronic devices has been cleared. Make sure that the GPS is turned off inside the airport, because THAT is prohibited in the US.

Last you need a window seat. The aluminum of the fuselage doesn't play well with the sat signals.

Jan

--

Jan Wieck

Senior first Officer and VP IT & Systems

del Sol Virtual Air Company

http://www.flydelsol.com

I just flew on Southwest airlines and used my GPSr on the flights between San Diego and Las Vegas and Las Vegas and Reno. The flight attendants didn't say anything to me about using the GPSr.

However, I understand other airlines might be more concerned and have a different policy.