Original Stash Tribute Plaque - Icon

LaRobley

For the same reasons I contributed to it despite not starting my caching career until two years later, aren't near it, and don't have plans to visit it I think it's worthy of a unique icon for those that have made the pilgrimage.

I don't believe the first in each state and country worthy of the same merit however, they were just duplicating an original achievement in their own localities.

As a member of the community, I'd appreciate it!

So to answer Jeremy's question, "Should we add a type just for one listing?" Not generally, but we should add a type for this one of significance.

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: I don't think the quantity of icons is relevant to the question...

I like variety, I like to travel, and I would like to eventually find caches in every state. I will be finding my first caches in foreign countries in September.

I do hope to eventually visit the site of the first ever cache. If it had its own icon I might well make that pilgrimage even sooner.

It is tempting though. Should we add a type just for one listing?

For this one, yes.

Whether or not it's the 5-gallon bucket, it's still THE LOCATION. The last time I looked, caching was about the where...not the what. There will only be one Original Stash, and if anything deserves it's own icon, this is it. Personally, if this does happen..Jeremy?..then I would vote for Markwell's icon. I'm gonna put it on my stat page while we're waiting......

Edited by Shop99er

I have thought over this and I came to a few conclusions:

1. The icon would just be for one cache, but granted it is geocaching's version of Mecca and it seems unique enough, however,

2. As a separate type it would mess up functionality like adding a new checkbox for types for Pocket Queries and search functions by type. In other words by searching local to the plaque it would not show up on your search results for traditional caches.

As a result I think that it is a great idea but it would be very hard to implement it without causing problems in point 2. I'd hate for it to drop off the list of possible caches to find because it is its own distinct type.

Thank you  Jeremy for a great explanation and closure hee hee  …………  JOE

I do feel like there needs to be something, but maybe a new type isn't it. A new attribute won't work either because I think the icon crazy folks want one. So I'm not sure exactly how to do it. Maybe some kind of tag that Groundspeak can give certain listings that, in turn, would show up on your stats.

We have some award concepts that have been brewing in-house that may be adaptable to this. An award could be given by a listing owner to cache finders or something. It isn't real fleshed out yet.

Edited by Jeremy
We have some award concepts that have been brewing in-house that may be adaptable to this. An award could be given by a listing owner to cache finders or something. It isn't real fleshed out yet.

If by award you're thinking of having this along with the oft-mentioned top x% caches list I think it would work well. Perhaps the top 500 most often listed caches in the x% lists get a special icon. The original should pretty easily make it in that along with many other great caches.