Original Stash Tribute Plaque - Icon

LaRobley

There were 13 APE caches originally. And remember, this is from a time when there were 178 caches in the Chicago area - where there's now 1628. In other words the APE cache in Chicago area was placed when there were only 10% of the caches there are now in the Chicago area.

Admittedly there are were only 13 APE caches to begin with, but I think it's a bad database policy to create a separate category for a cache that has only a few members of that.

If you really want an icon for finding the plaque, here - link and use this graphic on your page:

93d57cbd-42b3-4cb2-93ab-8f2d502c6f6b.jpg

I kind like the idea of an icon for ORIGINAL STASH TRIBUTE PLAQUE along with the Ape caches. I went to Washington and Oregon a few weeks back with only two had to find caches were both of those.

These are both rich in history for our sport.

If the location for the very first cache ever placed does not deserve a special icon what would ?

Happy Trials …… JOE

Admittedly there are were only 13 APE caches to begin with, but I think it's a bad database policy to create a separate category for a cache that has only a few members of that.

It is tempting though. Should we add a type just for one listing?

It all about our roots in the sport, the history, where it all started, its the single most important site in the heritage of “Geocaching”

What else can be said.

I went not to get a new icon but to see where it all started on a very snakelike and narrow road with lots of green vegetation it was way tooooooo cool, and glad I drove 500 miles round trip out of my way to get there.

I must also say that I have never met anyone who didn’t say they would like to visit where the first geocache was placed and why not its where it started. ……. JOE

Maybe the first cache in each state/country? Many of those are long since archived, but perhaps they could be ressuected and adopted out if needed.

My other side says that this would not be appropriate since the plaque really is not the first cache, but a commemoration of the first cache. This would lean towards a special cache icon for "important places in caching", such as Groundspeak HQ and someone can put a plaque at the first CITO.

Just random thought being tossed out into the air.

Maybe the first cache in each state/country? Many of those are long since archived, but perhaps they could be ressuected and adopted out if needed.

My other side says that this would not be appropriate since the plaque really is not the first cache, but a commemoration of the first cache. This would lean towards a special cache icon for "important places in caching", such as Groundspeak HQ and someone can put a plaque at the first CITO.

Just random thought being tossed out into the air.

I like this idea the best.

In this case maybe so. In general though, no. The cache LaRobley asked about is as permanent as a cache can be. The first in each state, is interesting but that's possible too much, unless it shared the Icon with the first cache (as it was the first cache in Oregon...) and since at least one would remain...

Ok I'm sold on the larger idea and no more.

Edited by Renegade Knight

The plaque isn't the original cache. Aside from being in the same location I don't see how it's all that special. It's just another cache that was put there 3 years later. If the original cache page was brought back and maybe adopted out then I think it would be a great idea. I can't even seem to find the page for it, though. All there is is something called "Moved5". To me giving the plaque a new icon would be like saying "You came in second but here's the prize for first, anyway". I guess I'll be the token person who says not to create a new icon.

If there is a new one for the first cache in each state, though, it should definatly be a shared icon. Do we really need 50 more things on our profiles?

Edited by Vargseld? ™
I like the idea myself! As JoGPS says, what better deserves its own icon than the original cache site?

I have to agree, though, that each state coin having its own icon is a little overboard for my tastes.

I'm for it, as I've already been there and made the find! :)

FWIW, even though I collect geocoins and fall somewhat in the "icon whore" category, I agree with the others about those icons. I'd prefer that all non-Moun10Bike coins be counted under a single geocoin icon rather than flooding the icons page with icons for the different coins.

I think it's an awesome Idea... Going to the spot where the first ever cache was hidden is showing appriciation for the "Sport" of geocaching... I think it's cool to know if someone has or hasn't hit the very first cache and by giving it an icon you can go to their stats page and go "Oh look, this guy has hit the very first cache ever, that's pretty dang cool"

Just my 2cents!

I don't think it's really needed. If it was still the original cache there, maybe. I think the tribute plaque is enough.

I also agree that "every coin being tracked getting an icon" is getting out of hand, too. Then again, I can't see the point of paying the $$$ for tracking on coins, when the vast majority of them are gonna quickly end up in collections, anway, but that's a story for another thread, I suppose.....

Do people really need an icon as an incentive to visit the plaque?

Do not underestimate the power of the force^H^H^H^H^H icon! :laughing::):lol:

I know a number of people that go on icon-hunting. It is not their main motivation, of course, but they do take some extra effort to catch rare ones (like earth caches in the beginning).

Personally, I like the idea of a special icon for really significant "firsts" (like for the original stash place).

Best regards,

HoPri

Edited by HoPri

Vargseld? ™ Posted: Jul 14 2005, 09:59 PM

The plaque isn't the original cache. Aside from being in the same location I don't see how it's all that special.

I can't think of a really elegant way to say how much I disagree. It is the LOCATION that is special. Not the Cache. Not the Cache Page.

I am NOT an "icon whore". I wouldn't walk across the street for an icon.

If I ever get anywhere near this Cache I will log it, with or without an icon.

Citing icon creep and asking where will it end is not the question. The question is why do we already have all that other carp. There will never be another first cache in the world location. If that doesn't deserve an icon, nothing does.

larobley

Emoticons (emotional icons) are used to compensate for the inability to convey voice inflections, facial expressions, and bodily gestures in written communication. Some emoticons are better known as "smileys." Emoticons can be very effective toward avoiding misinterpretation of the writer's intents.

I try to let my words speak for me instead of icons. But, in this case there certainly did seem to be a "misinterpretation".

For the record: there was no anger in my post. And I thought I was agreeing with you about the icon. Perhaps I did not elaborate. My fault. Sorry.

P.S. I am very aware of this Cache Page and have in fact viewed it.

Iam sorry I just didn't read it well enough. Anyway I thought the icon would be a neat Idea. I believe that one Icon for a coin is plenty no matter what type it is. I still believe that wecam caches are not caches and I really like Virtuals. :rolleyes:

I have been conscientiously avoiding the forums lately, but this one seems worth speaking up for.

The original stash plaque is like mecca for most of us pilgrims and I think it is certainly deserving of it's own icon. I think it is a fitting tribute to the "original" cache, those who spoke before are correct, there will never be another "first" geocache, the coding to add the icon should be minimal, and it gives many of us another thing to aspire to. I don't see this as opening the flood gates as this is a very special case. To me this looks like little work for a reasonable reward, I can't see any reason not to it.

edited to fix abominable spelling

Edited by Monkeybrad

As the starting point for caching (original or not) it is unique, more so than any other kind of cache in any other state or country. I think it deserves an icon just for the historical merit. (yes, I have already visited it, twice, so I am biased).

And I also think the coin icons are getting out of hand. So I hope that means I'm only a casual icon whore.

Edited by workerofwood

When I first read this I thought it was a bad idea but it's grown on me. I think it would be a nice idea. It is unique, people seem to consider it very special, and hopefully it will make sure this never happens again.

BTW - How many icons are there right now?

Oh, and I second Lil Devils comment. The geocoin icons definitely need different images.

BTW - How many icons are there right now?

Check out my profile page. Ive got the full set of icons minus a benchmark.

Hate to tell you this but you're missing at least one geocoin, the Colorado coin. Check out my profile I think I have all of them except CITO which I'll have tomorrow and the M10B coin which I refuse to log.

Edited by Stump
Oh, and I second Lil Devils comment. The geocoin icons definitely need different images.

hmm... maybe I misunderstood, but this thread seemed to imply that at least one state will have a differen't icon.

I think if the coins (and maybe other icons) don't get pushed into a single list, or sub-list eventally there will a problem with very very long icons pages. I mean in another couple years if even half the states do gc.com trackable coins that's a long list!

I like the idea myself! As JoGPS says, what better deserves its own icon than the original cache site?

I have to agree, though, that each state coin having its own icon is a little overboard for my tastes.

oh I dunno Jon, you have you own icon too :P

Actually, I'd like to see the visual clutter cleaned up a bit too. Some suggestions:

- show all the coins as one icon, no matter what kind they are

- when you click on the icons, show just the coin items (not intermixed with TBs)

- same for both owned and found

That said, I did the Snoqualmie Tunnel just for the Ape Cache up there (and its icon), blew out of work mid-day to get FTF for a moun10bike coin, and also blew out of work to get a Jeep TB, so icons aren't all bad I suppose :rolleyes:

I, too, have visited the Original Stash, so having a new icon for it would be convenient. And since I enjoy hunting old caches, I'm all for the idea.

If other states cry foul, how about using that special icon for the oldest active cache in each state? I think this will encourage people to keep them active and prevent them from becoming archived needlessly.

I can't think of a really elegant way to say how much I disagree. It is the LOCATION that is special. Not the Cache. Not the Cache Page.

I don't think this is always true.

When I adopted out the APE cache that *I* placed, I changed it to a traditional cache. Years later, in a discussion thread, we were asking the question of "At what point would an APE cache no longer be considered an APE cache?" The consensus was that it's not the log book (that can fill and have to be replaced). It's not the contents - that will be changed in the first week. The location is one thing, but if an APE cache did not have the APE container, the consensus was that it was NOT an original APE cache.

Finding the plaque in Oregon would be neat, but not nearly as neat as finding the five gallon bucket with a modem and a can of old beaten up beans.

Designate the plaque as an icon if you want, but don't tie it with the being the first cache in the state by having it grouped with other "first in the state" caches.

BTW - Illinois' first cache (GD28) is still active.

Here's the thing... The first stash is the beginning of what we became today. Had this one not been placed, would someone else have still done it? Maybe. But the fact is that this is the first one.

I think it should have it's own icon.