Better Management Tools For Pocket Queries?

BooBooBee

Hi!

I really enjoy this ... sport. The site is great, too. But I have one suggestion (doesn't everyone?)

I created a load of queries in preparation for a recent road trip. But now to delete them it's kinda a pain. Have to load each PQ page, then click delete. Not very efficient. How about a box to click (like the "run" date boxes), then a "delete" command box that wipes out all the PQs you've put your checks next to. Is this making sense?

hope so.

Thanks again!

Hi!

I really enjoy this ... sport. The site is great, too. But I have one suggestion (doesn't everyone?)

I created a load of queries in preparation for a recent road trip. But now to delete them it's kinda a pain. Have to load each PQ page, then click delete. Not very efficient. How about a box to click (like the "run" date boxes), then a "delete" command box that wipes out all the PQs you've put your checks next to. Is this making sense?

hope so.

Thanks again!

If you knew you only needed to run them once, you could have used the option to automatically remove the PQs after they runs.

Begin Power Browser Lesson. (If your VCR is blinking 12:00, you should probably change channels now.)

I've had to delete a dozen or so at a time. If you have a browser that supports tabs such as Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera, it's really not too painful. Just run down the list middle clicking on the 'edit' for the ones you're going to nuke. Now you have a dozen tabs open. Close the current tab and you're in the first one you're going to delete. Press end and you're at the bottom of the screen. Click delete. While it's pausing, do a control page down to proceeed to the next tab. Repeat. Now you can flip back to the ones that have finished and either answer "yes, I'm sure" or confirm they're gone as the case needs. Control-W or click the little X in the tab bar and you're off to the next. With a little practice, you can do three or four a second - especially if you have http pipelining enabled.

You can apply the basic technique to optimize away many of the delays of the web. Many things go much faster this way because you don't have to wait for each page to load. You can be reading and responding in one tab while the others are still loading.

Begin Power Browser Lesson. (If your VCR is blinking 12:00, you should probably change channels now.)

I've had to delete a dozen or so at a time. If you have a browser that supports tabs such as Mozilla, Firefox, or Opera, it's really not too painful. Just run down the list middle clicking on the 'edit' for the ones you're going to nuke. Now you have a dozen tabs open. Close the current tab and you're in the first one you're going to delete. Press end and you're at the bottom of the screen. Click delete. While it's pausing, do a control page down to proceeed to the next tab. Repeat. Now you can flip back to the ones that have finished and either answer "yes, I'm sure" or confirm they're gone as the case needs. Control-W or click the little X in the tab bar and you're off to the next. With a little practice, you can do three or four a second - especially if you have http pipelining enabled.

You can apply the basic technique to optimize away many of the delays of the web. Many things go much faster this way because you don't have to wait for each page to load. You can be reading and responding in one tab while the others are still loading.

I do basically the same thing when reviewing caches and I use IE. I open 10 new caches and just go through them by the time I'm getting to the last one it has had time to open even if its a slow day at GC.com. Tabs are not required for this trick. Yes I know I get 10 IE's opened at once but that doesn't bother me and my machine can handle it. So its a great trick no matter what browser you use.

I open 10 new caches and just go through them by the time I'm getting to the last one it has had time to open even if its a slow day at GC.com. Tabs are not required for this trick. Yes I know I get 10 IE's opened at

Good point - a tabbed browser is not strictly required. For a couple dozen you can indeed probably manage with multiple windows.

Try it with a couple hundred and report back. :-) (Yes, I really do that kind of thing.)

Yep. Thanks for the Browser Lesson. That is, indeed, how I deleted all my saved PQs before writing my original post to this forum. But since this forum is for suggestions, I thought I'd offer up mine...for ease of use of the site rather than multi-tabbing to death my firefox! :)

I think these instructions are much simpler:

click the "select" box

click the "delete" button

confirm "yes" if you want to delete them or "no" if you screwed up and really thought this page was for ordering in pizza while you create another 20 cache pages and log your most recent finds.