What's Your Favorite Multi-tool

Delta-S

I'll send it in to get repaired, but can't bear the idea of being without until it gets back. Now there are so many choices. I'm looking at the super-tool 200, but it's kinda large.

So what multi-tool did you choose and how do you like it?

I have tried a few.

I have yet to find anything better than a Leatherman, though.

I am a fan of Gerber. I carry one of their LST's every day. I would rate their multi-tool as second best.

I have two Leathermans (Leathermen?). My wife would be lost without her Micra on her key ring. Somedays, I think I should have one of those too.

I would love to hear how your service experience goes with Leatherman. I have never needed them, thankfully.

Although very expensive here in South Africa, the Leatherman is the only multi-tool to have. IMHO.

I have tried the cheaper alternatives but have been extremely disappointed.

We have a large outdoor living exhibition here every year, one of the exhibitors being Leatherman. We go each year, hand over our trusty multi-tools and have them serviced and repaired while we wait, with brand new parts being supplied if required, at no charge!

I will ALWAYS use a Leatherman, not only for the superiority of their product but for the outstanding after sales service.

I love my Wave. There is a couple of newer versions that are along the same lines. The best thing is the ability to get to the knife blades without opening the tool.

I recently lost my keys with a Squirt P4 on it. That I used all the time because it was so handy--the blade are accessible from the outside like the Wave. The P4 is the pliers version. I have a couple of Micras that I don't use. I guess because of them having scissors and having to open the tool to get to the blade.

Hope this helps.

I have 3 Leatherman tools, the original PST, but I wanted locking blades so I went to the original Supertool which I love. Ended up with a second Supertool when I thought I lost one, turned up under the hood of my sisters car, left it there after I fixed a battery problem on the road one very cold night. Their service department is great, if you are in the Portland, Oregon area, just go to the plant and they have a direct exchange desk at the main entrance. I was there a few years ago, I asked if they had scheduled tours, which they did not. They did set up a personal tour of the plant for me and I saw how the tools were manufactured and at the time, the prototypes for the Juice series, excellent customer relations, best part of my trip was the tour. For service here in Canada they have a contract service depo in Oakville, Ontario. I have dropped off and mailed in my leatherman over the years, always excellent service and very quick turn around. Due to the service alone, I have not used any other multi tool.

I'm in the minority apparently, but I like my Gerber. One of these days I'm going to order a personalised one.

The Gerber(s) I have also have the add on screwdriver attachment. When I was actually doing alot of PC tinkering I used it a good bit. Need to start carrying it with me when I go caching. Never know what kind of problems I might run into with a cache.

Forgot to add that the kind I have has the Needlenose.

Edited by Ice_man

I have a leather Soper tool, the first version, the newer super tool has an easier to use looking system.

I would like to buy the new Leatermen Ti but I have not been able to lose my super tool so i just cannot justifie the $100.00 Ti B) But Fry's sells the Ti for about $80.00. :mad:

Gerber make a nist tool but I have alway favore the leatherman.

Stay away from all the chinesse knock offs that you see for 10-20 dollars, they are junk

I have a Gerber that is fine for the feature I like best. It's the series that the plier slides out of before it can be opened for access to the other tools. The best feature is the saw blade which is replacable. It comes in real handy for cutting PVC pipe. Although it is large and a bit heavy it is a good tool.

I also have a Leatherman "Pulse." It's a little tight in the plier action but, it works just fine for light stuff. I can't mow my lawn without it.

My multitools, including my cheap Wallmart version, are indispensible tools. I use two of them occationally and the Leatherman daily.

To answer your question, "what is your favorite multitool?", I have to go with the Leatherman. B)

I'll send it in to get repaired, but can't bear the idea of being without until it gets back. Now there are so many choices. I'm looking at the super-tool 200, but it's kinda large.

So what multi-tool did you choose and how do you like it?

I've had three Leatherman tools and never had to get any of them repaired. With a 25 yr warranty, my first one (the original Leatherman PST) is still covered, too.

My 2nd Leatherman was the Wave which was great because of its one-handed opening of the two knife blades.

My 3rd and current Leatherman is the Charge which is by far my favourite. Why? Because it has a high carbon knife blade which holds its edge much, much longer than the previous models. I've had my Charge since Christmas and haven't sharpened the blade yet. With my other two, I sharpened it about once a month. The Charge also has ruler markings inscribed on its handle which the Wave did not and the original did. The Charge also has a built-in screwdriver bit holder but I'm undecided on it because it requires the use of custom two-headed bits from Leatherman. They're nice and small but they're also not easily replaceable (ie: can't use standard screwdriver bits from your local hardware store). OTOH, it beats carrying the bit adapter that was an option with prior models.

I'd say the SuperTools and Wave are great values and very versatile, but I use my Leatherman so often that I don't mind paying for the latest and greatest. Just last week, the clutch cable in my car snapped. I phoned my brother to bring a new cable and tools but using only my Leatherman and the car's jack, I had the broken cable removed by the time my brother reached me. I installed the cable using just my Leatherman.

In short, I recommend the Charge. The small difference in price over the other models is minor when you amortize it over the years of service you will get from it.

BTW, for a daily carry multi-tool, the SuperTools are a bit too big, imo. For something to leave in the car, it's great.

GeoBC

Doh! This topic inspired me to check Leatherman's website. Two new tools are coming out, the Core and the Surge. Both are pretty big, though.

What I like about my Leatherman tools is that they're all small enough for daily carry. Not sure if I want more weight/bulk than my Charge.

GeoBC

My absolute favorite was a SOG Power Plier. Unfortunately, that was lost in my accident.

Recently, I bought Milbank's new/old Leatherman Super Tool 200, which I really like.

I have a juice CS4, also. I kinda like it. Its a good size to throw in your pocket or in your bike pack.

I have a micra, too. I don't care for it. At first it was a great companion to the Super Tool, but it wasn't long before the scissors (the main tool) were a little loose and pretty non-functional.

I have an original leatherman, and one of the newer juice models...I love both, but if I had to choose, I would go with the juice models, mine is the XE6

LEAJUTT.jpg

Thanks for this thread and this post. I needed (OK, just wanted) a multi tool to replace my old Swiss Army knife that is still great, but has limited tools and my walmart cheapy, good for nothing (OK, the blade kinda cuts fishing line and the pliers are OK for fish hook removal) multitool I paid about $6 for.

I ordered the Juice XE6 as it is nicely compact and has every tool I could want on it. Appears to be a quality unit that I will own forever (or until I lose it). I considered the other juice models, but couldn't make up my mind which tool I could do without so just got the XE6 so I didn't have to choose.

Considered the Gerber, but the stuff they had which seemed roughly equivalent was longer and I wanted as compact as possible.

A long time ago I was attempting to repair a minor problem, had a nice multi-tool since I was out of the office. A senior person arrived and told me to get a hammer, I did so as told. I returned and presented the hammer. In quick manner the hammer was used to “fix” the problem. I was told it’s really broke now – go and get a new one. Who needs a multi tool when you have a really big hammer.

A simple pocketknife works for me, just keep it sharp and you are good to go.

A simple pocketknife works for me, just keep it sharp and you are good to go.

It's not just the blade I use, it's the needlenose. It's great for retrieving logs from micros or even micros from its hidey-hole. That's not to mention I can't count the number of blades of pocket knives I've ruined trying to turn a screw. My little P4 was just so durn handy. I miss it.

BIG fan of the leathermans! I've got a Pulse that goes with me every time I venture into the woods, be it fishing, hiking, caching, whathave you. Then there's the micra that is the third thing I grab before walking out the door every morning (behind watch and billfold, before keys) I'm on my third one. And a few years back, Target had some of the Juice tools on clearance for under $10 (the red ones) That one stays in my daily driver, if I take the pickup out, odds are pretty good the Pulse is on my belt.

Last summer, on a Canada fly-in fishing trip the outboard on our boat kinda 'broke' about 4 miles from camp. Was able to tear it apart and fix it using the Pulse, a hunting knife, and some fishing line...indespensable tool.

Oh, and I've found with my Pulse, if I firmly grasp one side of the frame and 'flick' it, it opens just like a butterfly knife giving me instant access to my pliers. The blade lock mechanism could be a little easier to unlock, but I never have to worry about one closing on my hand, either.

I have the old Wave (New Wave is similar to the Charge). I'm sure the New Wave is just as good.

I also have the Charge, which is better with the all-locking tools and the bit system (New Wave has this same system). I have the Charge with the scissors, because I find that to be an essential tool I would have missed from my Wave. Anyway, since I wear it every day, I would call this my favorite.

I even used to carry my Wave on the plane until the recent security changes.

I also have a little Radio Shack-branded Leatherman Squirt which is great for electronics with its wire-strippers.

I have a USB Swiss Army knife which has a pen, LED light and storage - definitely caching-friendly.

I don't think you can really go wrong with any Leatherman.

If anyone's interested: :blink:

Leatherman Tool (original) - $15 w/case (includes shipping)

Leatherman Sideclip - $15 w/case (includes shipping)

Leatherman SuperTool (heavier version of regular) - $20 w/case (includes shipping)

Victorinox SwissTool Tool (larger than Leatherman) 11 indiv blades/tools + locks & pliers - $25 w/nylon sheathcase (includes shipping)

Leatherman Juice (orange handles of course) - very sleek - $20 w/nylon sheathcase (includes shipping)

Minis:

Leatherman Squirt p4 (original) - $10 new in box (Blue) +$2 shipping

Leatherman Squirt p4 (original) - red or chrome - new (or if used, I can't tell) but no box - $10 incl shipping

Leatherman Micra (original) - 3/$10 used 1@red, blue, chrome

On any of the full size tools I'll throw in a knockoff mini or two (depends on what I have at the time). On the minis a small swiss army knife or two.

I can't deside. It is either the Swiss Memory USB.

swiss-memory_open.jpg

This is what Think Geek has to say about it:

The Swiss Memory USB has these features.

* The ultimate geek multi-tool

* USB storage in a beautiful Swiss Army knife design

* Available in 1 GB, 512MB, 256MB, 128MB or 64MB capacity

* USB Flash Drive (easily detachable)

* Includes: Red LED light, ballpoint pen, knife, scissors, file with screwdriver, keyring

* Flash drive is USB powered, no external power supply required

* LED blinks to indicate read/write activity

* Works with Windows 98/SE/2000/ME/XP, MAC OS 9.x or above, Linux 2.4 or above

* USB 1.1/2.0 interface

* Legendary Swiss Army quality construction and materials

* Red LED light uses a single CR 1025 battery (included)

* Comes with USB cable (1 meter length)

* Size: 2.4" length x .75" wide x .6" height

* Weight: 1.2 oz (33 g)

Or the SwissChamp XLT

swiss-champ2.jpg

And this is what Think Geek says about the SwissChamp XLT:

This is it - the mother of all Swiss Army tools. Every single tool ever built into a Swiss Army Knife — a total of 50 — is now cleverly engineered into this one incredibly comprehensive SwissChamp XLT. Your friends will be speechless and bowing before you when you crush their wimpy multi-tools with this beast. As a geek, you understand how important it is to have the best. And this is it.

I have a keycahin multitool made by craftsmen. It is not big enough for serious nuts and bolts, but plenty strong enough for anything you can get the jaws around. It has become indespenable to me. It is small and light, attaches to the key ring, and has a rubber cover to keep it from snaging on anything. I have used it many times. It has especially come in handy when fixing computers for others. I have even used it to grab things in tight spots, like logs from micros and such. And with a Sears store practically everywhere, if I do manage to ever break it, it is a quick trip to get it replaced.

I've got 2 Leathermans, and 2 Gerber 600s.

I personally prefer the gerber. It's far stronger, easier to disassemble to clean, and makes that cool switchblade sound when you whip out the plier head.

7550.jpg

Gerber's Site

those are the best i have a pair of blunt nose a pair af normal and two of the 85's wich i use the most, between fishing and work the one handed opening action i love

those are the best i have a pair of blunt nose a pair af normal and two of the 85's wich i use the most, between fishing and work the one handed opening action i love

I borrowed a buddy's Gerber and it pinched the &%#* out of the meat of my palm.

While preferences will vary, I like the ability of the Wave to be able to open two sturdy blades AND the pliers with one hand. This is important in those times where you are hanging on with the other one.

To each their own, but the Wave was the first multi-tool that actually got me excited enough to purchase one for my father. IMHO, the outside access to cutting blades was the real innovation.

I've got 2 Leathermans, and 2 Gerber 600s.

I personally prefer the gerber. It's far stronger, easier to disassemble to clean, and makes that cool switchblade sound when you whip out the plier head.

7550.jpg

Gerber's Site

Having had a couple of Leathermans (Leathermen?), a Coleman, a coulpe of other odd brands, and a coupke of Gerbers, its a Greber which lives on my belt.

My favorite part? The sound :)

I also like that, unlike the Leathermans I had, when you're using the pliers you are squeezing on the outside of the casing, not the sharp inner edges or the tools themselves. I also like that the tools look open. I know that they have fixed these problems in the newer LMs, but now I'm hooked on the Gerbers.

I have used a Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army Knife, as well as a Buck, but I prefer the Gerber to them all. The only drawback I have is when the knife blade is locked, the blade faces in not out. This does not allow you to cut something flush like the Leatherman does.

I have used a Leatherman, Gerber, Swiss Army Knife, as well as a Buck, but I prefer the Gerber to them all. The only drawback I have is when the knife blade is locked, the blade faces in not out. This does not allow you to cut something flush like the Leatherman does.

That is one true drawback to the Gerber. In fact, since the Gerbers pouch has a small extra pocket in it I've taken to carrying a small Kershaw Onion in there. This is a great little knife that has a spring loaded opening method., and it is small enough to fit nicely in that spare area.

I have had a bucktool by buck knives since I was in the 6th grade (11 years now) and I have never had any problems with it... I take it everywhere I go, work, store, camping, GEOCACHING....bucktool.gif

I would be sad if Mine ever breaks...it even has a little can opener on it.

I have an old "Mountain Quest" (Leatherman Rip-Off) I always carry around, it's had the snot beat out of it many a time, and it keeps on going along. The good thing about moderatley sturdy tools, they usually stand as long or longer than expensive ones, and if they break I don't care.

Hi Guys,

Im new here, just thought i would say that the best multi tool i have ever used is the

Victorinox swisstool.

http://www.victorinox.com/newsite/en/produ...fm?pid=3-0323-N

its good and solid... the tools are very high quality, much better than the leatherman ones. (imho)

they are worth the extra cash!!

raptor

Great gizmo, here's a close-up:

3_0338_l_cs.jpg

But what I always carry with me is something like this, only mine is more than 20 years old (this is a SwissChamp).

1-6795.jpg

Swiss Army Knife. I have the Hiker model (I think; it was given to me years ago & I don't remember the model exactly); it's always in my right front pocket.

If I were to get a traditional multitool, it'd be a Gerber. I like their form and function better than Leatherman.

Any Leatherman is the only way to go, Lifetime Warranty Baby Yeahhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, it is only 25 years. I do agree that a Leatherman is the only way to go. I have about 12 to 15. I think that I have a sickness.

Edited by calvin13

I used Gerber for the longest time, but I I didn't like the deal with the knife blade on the inside, so I bought a leatherman. Now I think Gerber has come out with one with the knife blade on the outside. I still use both extensively.

Edited by geolands

I was at REI today looking to buy a Gerber Truss 2.0 knife and found the Gerber Clutch.

http://www.rei.com/product/47945346.htm?vc...SHP_CAMPING_TOC

It's a mini multi-tool. $17.95. Has a small pair of (fat)needle nose and a blade on the outside. What sold me on it, besides the needle nose, was the fact it had tweezers built-in. <_< I figured this little guy was just what I was looking for for geocaching, after someone way up the thread mentioned something about using their multi-tool for pulling out logs in micro's. So I started looking for a more light weight multi-tool, but somehow while I was looking for the above knife, I totally missed seeing it on Gerber's website.(Just looked on their site and it's not there. Strange.)

It may turn into my new favorite multi-tool.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went to REI to look at all of the tools they had. I definitely wanted a large sized tool, so that eliminated the anodized colored Leatherman tools. I looked at the Gerbers, the larger LM, and a Victorinox.

I really liked that Victorinox. But it was noticeably heavier than the others and it had no file. I used the file a lot.

So I bought the LM "Wave" model. I really do like that there are some blades on the outside. I love that all of the blades now lock. That's a big safety feature over my original Leatherman.

Had it about a week so far and have used it quite a lot. It's a winner.