Not Sure Of Mark Condition

kc2ixe

Hi Gang,

Recovered my first stainless steel rod in sleave today (KU4749). Opened the cover (which looked fine BTW) and inside found the rod and sleave, with what appears to be recent Universal Orange paint on it - but what I found "interesting" was that they were NOT vertical, but over at an angle, to the point they were touching the side of the pipe

Now, the question is - is this the way it originally was, or has it been bent/moved somehow, and the condition is now poor? How could I tell?

I'd call this poor.

I'm sure originally the outer pipe was pretty well centered on the rod. It seems like it would be pretty unusual for something to accidentally get down in there to bend the rod, so I'm guessing the outer pipe has been shoved, and perhaps bent the rod as it moved. Was there anything to suggest movement of the soil around it, like regrading in recent years?

I'd call this poor.

I'm sure originally the outer pipe was pretty well centered on the rod. It seems like it would be pretty unusual for something to accidentally get down in there to bend the rod, so I'm guessing the outer pipe has been shoved, and perhaps bent the rod as it moved. Was there anything to suggest movement of the soil around it, like regrading in recent years?

Nope,

Sitting in a sidewalk that looks OLDER than the mark (Mark was originally set in 1989) In 1989/1990 one of the local survey companies set a LOT of marks in Nassau County

kc2ixe -

Do you have any pictures of your find of KU4749?

Nope - did NOT have a camera with me - I could probably go back later in the week

I can see HOW this could have been bent looking at it - shaft appears straight, just on a list, like it was just placed in the outer sleave, and was just leaning there - but it's NOT quite touching, so I know it's not leaning, and like I said, some survey team put paint on it in place (you can tell by the spray pattern)

It's a mark, where if you KNOW where it is, you can drive up, park walk out of the car, take out the alan keys, open the cover, and there is the rod