Larimer County Colorado

Geoman007

Hi all,

I will be travelling to colorado soon and plan on taking a drive around and possibly hitting a few caches while i'm at it. I would like to travel on some of the back roads, but since I'm not from the area, I do not know what to expect. I assume that the state routes will all be paved, but what about the county roads, especially in Larimer county? In particular, I would like to know about county routes 103, 74E, 80C, 162, 179(My map put letters at the end of some routes, is this correct?). Are these roads dirt or paved and are they passable by a two wheel drive car? Also, do these roads take one through scenic areas( also including state routes 14, 127, 125 and US34 on this question)?

Thanks for all your input B)

Geoman007

Edited by Geoman007

Can't speak for those roads exactly but if it is on the map it is passable this time of year. Don't worry about listed roads on the map if you have a 4X4. One year when a friend came out to visit we did nothing but back dirt roads all acroos the state in a rental car. It was one of the best road trips I ever did.

If you don't have a good map, pick one up while your here and in the legend it will give you all the info you need! Have fun while your in our beautiful state.

Most of those roads are gravel and passable by a car:

• 103 Larime River Road
  • 74 E Red Feathers Road - Paved till Red Feathers which has a nice pub.
  • 80 C Sand Creek Pass Back Road to WYO
  • 162 Deadman Road - the road to Killpecker Trail and 103 from 74 E
  • 179 Prarie Divide Road

There are several caches up there some most require a small hike.

Rt. 14 & 34 have caches. But if you want to hike and maybe take a 4 x ride to a Cache known as X9416 get ahold of me and I'll take you into some nice backcountry preferably by foot, up the hill and a long ways in.

This is indeed a pretty area, not that I am biased or anything (A number of the caches in the Red Feather Lakes/ Cherokee Park areas are mine). You ought to definately try to get up the Poudre and/or Big Thompson River canyons (Hwy 14 and 34 respectively), as well as a drive over the continental divide in Rocky Mountain National Park.

If you have the time, take Tahosa up on his hike offer. Thats always a good time, just make sure you have ICY-HOT ready for the day after, LOL.

There is a mine site on Prairie Divide Road that was used as a cancer treatment center in the mid 1900's (I'm not sure of the exact date). Apparently there was quite a bit of Uranium in the mine, so after the mine was no longer bringing up ore, a large sitting chamber was carved out several hundred feet down, and cancer patients were sent there for radiation therapy. All thats left now is the elevator tower and shack, with a metal grate over the shaft.