How Do You Find Other

Tyger4

I found 2 sites for my area but one is too far away. The group that is in my area sure doesnt seem to have much action. Many of the forum posts are dated 2004. So, how do you find others in your area that also enjoy geocaching? I would like to have others to search with, also make sure I am doing this right. TIA.

ttfn

I found 2 sites for my area but one is too far away. The group that is in my area sure doesnt seem to have much action. Many of the forum posts are dated 2004. So, how do you find others in your area that also enjoy geocaching? I would like to have others to search with, also make sure I am doing this right. TIA.

ttfn

Tap a keg. or post on the regional forums at the bottom and see what happens. B) Let me know if you decide to go with the keg idea.

I didnt mean to sound harsh or anything. I just dont seem to be having luck finding anyone in my area. Those same people are also listed as members here. The local site though doesnt seem to have but maybe 3 posts for 2005, everything else is 2003-2004. These people also dont seem to visit here to often.

I dont drive all over. I have a roaming range so to speak. I stay withing my comfort zone only. There are 800+ caches listed in my town as well as each of the surrounding towns that I go to. I would think that with 800+ caches per town that I should have to drive all over the country to find anything. I just cant up and drive all over the country to start with. Plus, my dd goes with me, so that has to be factored in also.

Thanks for the help.

ttfn

None of the cachers who log finds in my area have ever posted on the Groundspeak boards. I check that whenever I look at profiles. I have yet to find a profile showing any posting activity.

I think the cachers here represent a very small percentage of the caching population.

I have exchanged emails with several. We haven't met yet, but I am pretty much simply doing caches they have already done. Most have mentioned wanting to get together and discuss some ideas for new caches. I think that will happen this fall after I have gotten more experience and have some better ideas about locations.

Good luck to you!

I found 2 sites for my area but one is too far away. The group that is in my area sure doesnt seem to have much action.  Many of the forum posts are dated 2004.  So, how do you find others in your area that also enjoy geocaching?  I would like to have others to search with, also make sure I am doing this right.  TIA.

ttfn

Well, I can think of a few ways to try and do this, some of which have already been mentioned.

first, go here. This is the geocaching calendar which lists organized get togethers by state. You can click on your state and see how close the event is to you. If one is close enough then problem solved.

If none are close enough you could consider hosting your own, but I can understand if you are reluctant to do this having never been to one.

So, you could email those who host events in your state and ask them your question, chances are they know someone close to you who would be interested in caching with you.

Alternately you can read the logs of caches near you and email those who have logged asking if they would be interested in caching with a newbie or know someone who would be interested.

We "met" people on-line before we met them in person. We found a few caches that really were extra fun for us, so we sent emails to the people who hid them to thank them personally for putting out the hides. We also made sure to let people know when one of their hides was particularly challenging. And we tried to write "fun" on-line logs.

Some of the hiders wrote back with hints, or and welcome-to-caching notes and we answered those notes to say that we appreciated them making us feel so welcome. They started inviting us to events, but we were shy about going, because we were intimidated by the hundreds and thousands of finds that they had.

Then we happened to do a cache that mentioned that it was the marker for a cut-off trail to an interesting historical place. My husband left a log that said that would like to make that hike one day. Not long after that, a cacher emailed us to say that he was organizing another hike out there and asking if would we like to join the group. He promised to take it easy on us and even said that since we were the reason he was organizing the hike that I couldn't back out, or he would put a cache out there called "Neos2 is a Sissy and She Backed Out" --LOL!

We met up with about 17 other people that day and had a wonderful time (OK, it was a grueling hike too, and if that was taking it easy then they must usually hide the bodies --but I lived to tell about it!). The outcome is that after that, we felt comfortable going to events, and have even gone caching with some of those folks again since then. We have the numbers of people to call if we want to go caching or need a hint on one of their harder hides, and we toss around ideas for new caches with them--in other words, we have geocaching friends now.

Edited by Team Neos