Animals On The Trail

The last few weeks it has been old scrub pines tearing the flesh off of my face and arms as I walked by.

That and nettles, and the poisons (ivy, oak, sumac), and ticks, and a snake. But really its usually just squirrels.

Edited by Be-a-Jayhawk

I've been flushing a lot of deer lately, had a few snorting at me also. They are about the most dangerous wild animals around. Although a dog scared the sh*t out of me the other day. I was about a mile in the woods, haven't seen another person since I entered the woods, was totally zoning out concentrating on finding the correct path to my destination when a dog rushed by me barking. The owner was jogging about 20 feet behind him. Startled the heck out of me.

I was at a cache in Texas and was approached by a growling snarling german shepherd dog. He wanted a piece of me so I picked up a stick and waved it while yelling at him. As I backed away from the cache, he kept following me, fangs showing and giving me a deep angry growl (not barking and no tail wagging). I kept backing up for about 30 yards and he finally stopped following me. I was really worried about him and was ready to do battle.

One other time I reached into an opening behind a sign to find a micro. My fingers sunk into something soft. I retracted my arm and out flew some angry hornets. The soft object my fingers sunk into was their nest. Fortunately I wasn't stung as I backed away and got out of there.

Edited by The Navigatorz

The oddest thing I've seen recently was, I assume, a baby mole. It was like a fat black mouse without ears. It wobbled slowly across the path in front of me, and then walked into the earth. Straight down into the soil, just like that. Didn't even seem to dig.

I wasn't quick enough with the camera, but I don't think it would've looked like much, anyhow. Fat black earless mouse.

I was in an undeveloped forest preserve(read no parking lot established) and had crossed a little stream. Just as I turned to walk uphill, I hear the tinkling of a bell. I freeze and look towards the sound. A Doberman Pinscher comes running along with no owner in sight. I waited and was happy to be downwind of the dog. I thought for sure a person would eventually follow, but never ever did.

Walking at night, last week, I inadvertantly walked within about six feet of a little skunk (a cute little feller only about eight inches long). Instinctively, I immediately halted; the baby skunk just looked up at me and then continued nibbling on some flowers.

After I eased into a position upwind, I grabbed my camera, hoping to get an excellent close-up, but alas, the batteries were dead! B)

Also, the lightening bugs are really out this year. :mad:B)

I was searching for a cache recently with my brother, and noticed a few large swans (about three feet wide, I'd say) floating on the water about 30 feet away from shore. As we were thrashing around doing our search, one of them came over to investigate. We must've been on its territory. It came up to the shoreline and we looked at it as it looked at us, and then it backed off and swam away. I wish I'd had my camera.

I was walked doing some maintenance on a cache on my other screen name, and saw a turky vulture on the ground. He didn't take any notice to me and continued his business on what looked to be a groundhog. I stayed on the trail and kept on going, 20 feet later I heard crunching of leaves behind me. I turn around and find the vulture following me. And he continued to do so. Get up, fly within 10 feet of me land and watch and do it again. He left my trail as I got in a more mosquito infested area. ;)

"I'm not gitting bitten by all these mosquitoes to follow this idiot!"

-Turkey Vulture

How about a skunk actually sitting on the cache. Had to wait until he decided to leave before I could proceed.

A Moose with its new born mooselet. It blocked the road for about half an hour before the mooselet was strong enough to cross the road. This was on the way back from caching in Jackson Hole.

;)

I was walked doing some maintenance on a cache on my other screen name, and saw a turky vulture on the ground. He didn't take any notice to me and continued his business on what looked to be a groundhog. I stayed on the trail and kept on going, 20 feet later I heard crunching of leaves behind me. I turn around and find the vulture following me. And he continued to do so. Get up, fly within 10 feet of me land and watch and do it again. He left my trail as I got in a more mosquito infested area. :)

"I'm not gitting bitten by all these mosquitoes to follow this idiot!"

-Turkey Vulture

You might want to go visit your doctor. The vulture might be trying to tell you something.