Flashing Cache Pages

Team DuBanger

I have seen many cache pages, travel bug pages ,and profile pages with colour and graphics. Try as I might, I can not figure out how to do that. I would like to add maps and pictures etc. to the main pages for the caches we hide but I don't know how to do it. Can I get some help from those who know how, please.

Thanks

Dee, Team DuBanger

And I hope you meant "flashing" in the sense of being really flashy and not in the sense of lime green and magenta pulsating boxes of color. I just saw a banner ad informing me that I may already have won a laptop, and I think it may have done permanent retinal damage.

I keep waiting for that thing to cause siezures in children like the pokemon show some years back did.....

Please do not put flashing stuff on a cache page! Tasteful background OK, flashing things or loud background=Arrrrrrrgh........

And I hope you meant "flashing" in the sense of being really flashy and not in the sense of lime green and magenta pulsating boxes of color.

Hmmm! B)

I am actually planning what I hope to be THE worst eyeball-frying, gawdawful, web design I can come up with for a page. I plan on adding multiple warning dialog boxes you have to click on more than once... and end it with an "I TOLD YOU SO!" popup. This is gonna be fun. B)

And I hope you meant "flashing" in the sense of being really flashy and not in the sense of lime green and magenta pulsating boxes of color.

Hmmm! B)

I am actually planning what I hope to be THE worst eyeball-frying, gawdawful, web design I can come up with for a page. I plan on adding multiple warning dialog boxes you have to click on more than once... and end it with an "I TOLD YOU SO!" popup. This is gonna be fun. B)

I have to ask why you would want to create such a page? Are you a sophomore in High School perhaps? If I accidentally came across such a page I would "go back" faster than you could imagine. I have a really nice cordless optical mouse with a "back" button under my thumb. It's really too bad it doesn't have a "close the last window that opened" button as well.

As for music on web pages, consider how many people listen to music on their computers. A cheesy MIDI file playing from a web page over an Iris Dement or Mozart CD screams "Amateur!" and destroys any tiny bit of credibility the page had in the first place. Decide what you want do with your page but I certainly would make some very fast assumptions about a cache whose page was filled with HTML a55-hattery.

One of the only good uses of sound on a web page I have heard can be found at ZomboCom, where the infinte is possible.

I have seen many cache pages, travel bug pages ,and profile pages with colour and graphics. Try as I might, I can not figure out how to do that. I would like to add maps and pictures etc. to the main pages for the caches we hide but I don't know how to do it. Can I get some help from those who know how, please.

Thanks

Dee, Team DuBanger

If this was Jeopardy, the question would be "What's the best way to get your cache added to everyone's ignore list?" B)

Seriously... it's a bit more complicated than you think.

For instance, if you go to "view source" in any web page you like... take a look at the written code... THAT is what you are up against.

Get a copy of "HTML For Dummies" (seriously!) and study. Then turn on the HTML option on the cache page and try to keep the effects you choose to add to a minimum.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

As for music on web pages, consider how many people listen to music on their computers. A cheesy MIDI file playing from a web page over an Iris Dement or Mozart CD screams "Amateur!" and destroys any tiny bit of credibility the page had in the first place. 

Off topic remark --Iris Dement used to have her studio above my best friends office. Loved to go visit him and listen to her write new songs a play around.

Hmmm! :o

I am actually planning what I hope to be THE worst eyeball-frying, gawdawful, web design I can come up with for a page. I plan on adding multiple warning dialog boxes you have to click on more than once... and end it with an "I TOLD YOU SO!" popup. This is gonna be fun. :o

I have to ask why you would want to create such a page?

It was inspired by a gawdawful eyeball fry of an online music video I saw recently. The music and visuals was SO bad that I just HAD to inflict it on the next friend, just like the friend who passed it on to me. It was so bad, it was good, in a backwards kind of way, which is why it became popular. :o

The challenge for me is to not just have it bad, but to create an inspired kind of bad. "Plan 9 from Outer Space" bad (though not necessarily using science fiction as a theme). In other words, so bad it's managed to come full circle and be a hilariously good kind of bad. THAT is the challenge part of it.

I like a good challenge. Anyone can just make a bad page, big deal.

However, can I come up with an eyeball fry so bad it's bleepin' hilarious? THAT's the part which intrigues me. That's the goal I will be having fun with, and with any luck, I'll pull that off. :blink:

Edited by Sparrowhawk