Can You Hide Then In The Air?

TeamAO

I'm planning to place a cache on a nice little island on a river that frequently floods. The island will become completely submerged and if I hid a cache there it would be pushed down river. I came across an idea that I could place the cache up in a strong tree branch way above the ground, so incase of a flood, the cache remains in it's position. I've looked through the rules and it mentions you can't bury it. Can you hide caches way up in trees? And if not, any other suggestions?

I'm planning to place a cache on a nice little island on a river that frequently floods. The island will become completely submerged and if I hid a cache there it would be pushed down river. I came across an idea that I could place the cache up in a strong tree branch way above the ground, so incase of a flood, the cache remains in it's position. I've looked through the rules and it mentions you can't bury it. Can you hide caches way up in trees? And if not, any other suggestions?

Yes you can.

If you have to climb the tree to retrieve the cache, be sure to note that on the cache page (I personally wouldn't want to climb a tree to get a cache); I have seen and read about caches that are hanging, anchored to another tree or something, and can be retrieved by simply untying a knot.

An avid canoeist, I really like the idea of a cache on an island in a river. And I appreciate that you would be protecting it from floods. :lol::D

I have two caches that are in a tree because of flooding.

One is a camoed bison tube hanging from a stubby branch on an island (It may not flood, but I did it just in case.)

The other is a tiny toy birdhouse that I bought at the local craft store (I put a warning on the site that there may be flooding on and off throughout the year, so keep checking the cache site to see if you can get to it).

Both caches are safe from flooding, but easy to reach.

My husband has two caches on islands that partially flood. They are in mostly water-proof containers (an ammo can would work) that are secured very well under rocks, etc. We have never lost the caches due to flooding, but maybe those islands do not flood to the degree that yours does.

Edited by Ambrosia

I have two in trees. In both cases, I made wooden boxes out of weathered wood and/or camoflaged and treated with low-gloss varnish, greased the hinge well, or used a sliding door with a pin. Both are well-covered in summer by vegetation. They are out-of-the way enough that they're not likely to be discovered with the camoflage I have given them. You need to strap the door tight for mice will like the box too, and they gnaw things. I recently got rid of mice in one.

To place a cache near a flood prone river I had some friends engineer this really complicated plan that required an arc-welder, a few feet of rebar, a piece of steel plate and either velcro straps or magnets. I settled for getting some $.49 a foot chain from a home improvement store with a couple quick links. Give the cache about 5 feet to move and it won't go anywhere as long as it's secured well and water tight. I use it mostly to keep people from moving my caches in areas where I want the cache to stay right where I put it. It seems to be working.

Ambrosia said:

The other is a tiny toy birdhouse that I bought at the local craft store (I put a warning on the site that there may be flooding on and off throughout the year, so keep checking the cache site to see if you can get to it).

I loved that cache during the Wenatchee Cache Machine...and I'm even the one that found it for our group, so it has special memories for me. :lol:

As for the original question, I've found them hanging from branches with the hook on the cache, with a hook screwed into the tree (not my preference, btw), and with a rope attached to it that you had to untie and lower the cache down...and was with a groups where the caches have been camo'd with leaves and even as a fur-cone...so, as everyone else has said...yes, trees are your friends. :D

Edited by Allanon

Simular to the rope-and-pulley mentioned above, a neat one here uses green spider-wire fishing line thrown over a high branch. The line forms a loop that hangs down the tree tunk - you have to reel the cache down, sign it and reel it back up. The container is a brown bison tube.

I recently found a cache that was up a tree with some dark green rope tied up over a branch then down to a low branch. Untie the know and you can lower the cache. No climbing required, but it was above ground so it took me a while to find.

I think most people, like myself, tend to look low and don't think to look high, so it'd add some challenge. B)

Speaking of locals. This place is a PRIME fishing spot known for miles around. This island is probably 40 long and 15 feet wide. The trees are thick but, is there anyway around a micro in a situation like this. I don't want it muggled, but I would really like to place a cache there. Any suggestions?

The area is known for "ravagers" who if they found this cache, would most likely be the first to get some M-80's and couple beers and, "watch that sucker splode". Yes, I live in Southwest PA. Any ideas to hide it so only geocachers know of the location?

If you have to climb the tree to retrieve the cache, be sure to note that on the cache page (I personally wouldn't want to climb a tree to get a cache);

Why must it be put on the cache page if it is properly rated?

Depending on the tree it might be a D/T of 3*/3* or 3*/4* or something in that neighborhood. With a higher Terrain rating you know that you will need to expend some effort to get the cache before you even head out.

Depending on the tree, this oldfart may or may not choose to climb up and retrieve it.

John

PS - Shirley is NOT into tree climbing!

Speaking of locals. This place is a PRIME fishing spot known for miles around. This island is probably 40 long and 15 feet wide. The trees are thick but, is there anyway around a micro in a situation like this. I don't want it muggled, but I would really like to place a cache there. Any suggestions?

My bison cache is right where anyone can see it, and it is in a heavily trafficked area. It is up about 6 or 7 feet in the tree, on a stubby branch. Never seemed to have any problems with it being found by non-cachers.

Ambrosia said:

I loved that cache during the Wenatchee Cache Machine...and I'm even the one that found it four our group, so it has special memories for me. B)

Why thank you!

I've wanted to be able to post this pic on the cache page, but it would be a giveaway. So I'll post it here! This pic was taken right after it was placed, so eventually it weathers to a more greyish brown color.

PICT0059.jpg

Can you hide caches way up in trees?

Well, if you can't then we'd be in trouble. B)

as a seller of Bison (or Bison type) tube that just invite hanging -

ya - you would be in trouble -

nice products too -

cc\

Two questions in that case. One can I see a picture of the bison tube? And two, if, say, I'm not into the "buying stuff online" ordeal, where would you say a "retail" store would have them?

685309_350Lrg.jpg

They come in a couple different sizes, anywhere from an inch and a half long to two inches long. You can get them in a gazillion colors, but they're real easy to paint or cover with camo tape.

REI sells them for around 3 bucks, and other outdoor stores may sell them in your local area. They are considered a keychain, so that is where you will find them in the store. I actually found some at a mini mart by the cache register near my town. I bought every silver one they had. B)

I just found a cache in Ohio that was a thermos with a floor tile tied to it for weight, and then tied to a tree on the bank with rope. The coordinates were for the middle of the river and once you "found" the rope, you reeled it in, logged the cache and then threw it back out to sink in the middle of the river. Pretty clever cache if you ask me.

Can you hide caches way up in trees?

Well, if you can't then we'd be in trouble. :blink:

as a seller of Bison (or Bison type) tube that just invite hanging -

ya - you would be in trouble -

nice products too -

cc\

Two questions in that case. One can I see a picture of the bison tube? And two, if, say, I'm not into the "buying stuff online" ordeal, where would you say a "retail" store would have them?

go to Longs or Walgreens (or whatever big drug store in yer area)

and look for pill cases. They have some nice plastic ones that don't

cost too much -

You can use a pill bottle also - paint it up and afix a string to hang it -

you don't have to spend a lot of money on this stuff -

there are a lot of goodes around that are even 'free'. Check out your local Dollar store too.

cc\

If I hide the cache is a "Buffalo" container, will any items fit in it. If not, what would be the size of the container that would be appropriate to hang off of a tree without being noticed for 40-50 feet away and will hold an item or two with a log book?

One of my favorite caches that I found was in a tree. It was concealed in a tree with an open center shielded by low-hanging exterior branches, and the cache itself was suspended waaaay overhead. But you didn't have to climb to get it - the end of its string was down near the ground, and by unhooking a caribeaner you could lower the cache down to where you could get to it.

If I hide the cache is a "Buffalo" container, will any items fit in it. If not, what would be the size of the container that would be appropriate to hang off of a tree without being noticed for 40-50 feet away and will hold an item or two with a log book?

I've seen a few decon containers hanging in trees. You could reach them from the ground. These come with a clip and are OD green so it's pretty much ready to go.

We've put a SAW can up in a tree once. We still have an undisclosable number in trees. (In case, locals are reading.)

You could even put a rubbermaid up a tree. Make or buy a camo bag and hoist it up!

Thanks for starting this topic. Lots of good info. My first hide will be river access only on an island on the Shenandoah. I am considering a pulley system in a tree. Our 100 year flood plain has flooded twice in the five years since we bought the place...island, field, forest and all! Thank goodness the house is on a hill!

Edited by Susieiz