Trinket Lovers Help The New Cachers

Team Neos

We upgraded to a small bag today from one of the caches.

My girls have made loads of different kinds of swap~its

beaded pins

money tree seeds

our sig would be the SMore swap bag

( you can't eat it but you will think about makin some)

cars

pet tags :

spoiled

woof, bark, whatever

top dog

All kinds of metal tags

Med supplies

pens

a few project child safe gun locks thanks to county sheriff :P for those ammo boxs

ProjectChildSafe.jpg

Wheresgeorge.com:

Tom's

George's

My girls asked what was the value of hard work on something they made? ;)

My answer was the smile on the person who finds it! :blink:

Edited by One Crazy Girl Scout Leader

Among the standard trinkits in my pack, I keep several snack size ziploc baggies that each contain 6 individual wet lens wipes. I can't live without them and I figure a hunter may have sweated up his/her glasses or sunglasses crunching around looking for the cache box. :rolleyes:

One thing that we leave frequently is a matching geocaching magnet/button/carabiner combo in a mini ziplock.  The buttons are from bumblebuttons.com; the matching magnets are from carolinakeepsakes.com -- they aren't listed on the site, but she usually includes one for free if you order something else. So I asked if I could buy a bunch, and she was happy to oblige. She even included all the mini ziplocks.  The carabiners we got in bulk on ebay.

I think we started out with close to 100 sets of these things, and we're down to our last handful.  I'll have to see if I can get some more.  They seem to get picked up pretty quickly after we leave them.  I smiled at yesterday's log from a first-time cacher who picked one of them up a couple of days after we dropped it off:

icon_smile.gifJuly 15 by (name deleted) (1 Found)

First cache, and I pull a nice little packet of geocache logo goodies- perfect experience. :-)

:rolleyes: That was me! The pin is on my caching pack, my keys are on the 'biner, and the magnet is on my fridge. ;)

Back in Denver now, and stocked myself up this weekend so I could do some trading while I fulfill the wishes of the travel bugs I collected (I'm making utterly sure I don't pull any of them out of circulation). Went nuts on the Walgreens dollar aisle while I was wating for my gatorade to kick in a couple of days ago. (Forgot to take the return to the dessicating climate into account and gave myself a dehydration headache while doing my first caching run out here.) Almost every cache I hit on the east coast was wet, so I put a premium on things that don't mind wet caches. Snagged a new mini-pack so this wouldn't take over my usual one, bright red to go with my nick, and filled it with:

Travel Bugs:

The Travel Bug Tourist Group (the bugs I brought with me from the east coast)

The copy tag for Quest for Quinn

My three unreleased TBs

Trading items:

Beanie-style stuffed lion and white tiger, in ziplock snack bags

3 Clusters of red, orange and yellow ponytail holders

4 LED flashing pens

Hair snaps

3 packs of pencils; two holographic, one glitter

1 blue LED keychain flashlight

1 pack color-changing fake nails with stickers

1 personal fan with light-show LEDs on the hub

1 set generic magnetix

3 each red and orange mini-sharpies (the kind with a lanyard ring)

1 mini-card magnet set- full house in hearts

1 purple hot wheels car

2 mini-keychain whistles (surprisingly loud)

4 mini hotwheels

4 packs small art prints (5x7 and 6x6)

2 red mini composition books to donate as replacement logs

3 seperable key fobs

1 carabiner key clip (Made obsolete by the purple one I got out of the cache :laughing:)

Several ziplock bags for whatever

None of them cost more than two bucks. I'm planning to make my better trade items when I get a chance.

My stuff:

GPS

Antenna

LED Pen

Red pen for signing logs

Walgreens pen (meant to be traded at a pen-trading cache but I left it in the car)

Hand sanitizer

Aloe

Advil packets

spare batteries

Kleenex

Sunblock

Bactine

Geocaching Pin ;)

My camera bag also comes (follows me everywhere, no matter which pack I'm using) and contains

Pocket PC

Digital camera

Extra Flash cards

Most of the things we saw in caches were kid oriented, and I kind of wished there were grownup things as well, so I tried to get non-age specific, and especially non-gender specific stuff as much as I could. The couple of things that are pretty specific (most girls won't want the hot wheels, and I think the nails are definitely a girl thing), I made sure to balance out. Trying for a mild fire and/or fairy theme as well, but it will take me a while to fill out those aspects; the sparkly stuff and the fire-colored stuff are in-theme, but I need to find something the replace the hot wheels at some point.

Haven't gotten to use it much yet, as I've only hit one non-micro cache since coming home, but I only got things I would have liked to see in caches. How am I doing? :laughing:

Haven't come up with a signature item yet- I make jewelry, so I'm planning to make backpack charms, but I'm trying to come up with a design that isn't gender or age specific. I'd like to make a Firefairy emblem so they're identifiable without a lot of engraving

Can you tell I love the trading aspect? Just a little obvious, I think. ;)

Edited by Firefairy

I love your enthusiasm ;)

Your pack contents sound similar to mine; there are just a few additional things that I can think of right off the bat that are in mine: a compass (which I don't need to use very often), DEET, and a mesh mosquito head-net (which I have to use at almost every cache between April and October, at least the ones in the woods).

This has been a very interesting thread. I'm honeychile (Vicky), the BumbleButtons gal and I'm pleased to see that some of you like the buttons. I have lots of fun designing these for general geocaching use and as unique signature items. My sister Donna is the Carolina Keepsakes gal and we collaborate on the Geocaching4Kids stuff.

I carry buttons in my pack :lol: but I carry lots of other trading stuff, too. Sometimes I think that if Monty Hall appeared on the trail and asked me for anything, I could rummage around in my pack and make a deal

• personalized pencils. One of my customers shared some of these with me and they are really cool. Have you seen the double-ended pencil on the Geocaching4Kids website? That's something really cool kids can make themselves very inexpensively. Here's the link to the pencils. I buy the pencils and erasers at the dollar store and can usually make about 20 for $2.
  • teeny tiny treasure bags. I got these on eBay (don't see any listed right now, though). It's a tiny ziplock of turquoise, fool's gold, garnet, and other mineral treasure.
  • sealed Gold Bond medicated first aid wipes. The package says, "first aid to help prevent bacterial contamination of skin infection and for temporary relief of pain and itch associated with minor skin irritations, minor cuts, minor burns, sunburn, scrapes, insect bites, and rashes due to poison ivy, oak or sumac. This sounds like a litany of my geocaching experiences :lol: so I figure this might be useful in someone else's pack, too. I think I got these for something like 10 cents each.
  • along similar lines, I have tiny little 1 oz. bottles of Ivy Block barrier lotion. You put it on before geocaching and it protects against contact with that noxious weed
  • have you seen the geocaching squished pennies? Check out Smashing Pennies. A lot of people collect these, so they're welcome trading loot.
  • extra ziploc bags. This isn't a trading item, but as someone else in the thread mentioned, I like to help rehabilitate "suffering" caches with extra stuff and sometimes a ziploc or two can help keep things dry. Oh! That's another thing I keep in my pack -- a bag of those little dessiccant packs. If a cache isn't terminally waterlogged, but is just a little damp, tossing in a couple of these can help make it a better experience for the next guy...and come to think of it, isn't that really what this whole thread is about -- making the experience more rewarding for the next person to find the cache? I read about people who find a crummy cache (contents wise) and leave it just as crummy. Part of the fun of geocaching for me is leaving something that will delight those who follow me. It's not that I'm so altruistic :lol: but it's like the fun of being Santa -- one of those tiny little pleasures that accompanies the bigger fun of geocaching.

Happy geocaching!

honeychile