Trinket Lovers Help The New Cachers

Team Neos

New cachers always ask what to carry with them to trade, what is acceptable swag etc. We have all seen list after list of what kinds of things SHOULD go in caches (or should not)...but let's do a reality check.

If you like to trade, and carry trinkets to trade with you, take a look in that swag bag right now and tell us what's in there.

I'll do the first "confession" since it was my idea:

I love to trade, and don't mind helping out a failing cache by dropping off a trinket of two to make sure that the next cacher finds something interesting, so I tend to carry too much. I have a big swag bag (for that cache right by the parking) and a little swag bag (for the long hikes past several caches). I usually take both with me in the car, but carry only one at a time.

In the small "fanny pack" right now:

4 one-inch geocaching buttons (Bumble buttons)

8 "I Am Loved" one inch buttons

2 two-and-a-half inch geocaching buttons (Bumble buttons)

3 heart-shaped fridge magnets

1 keychain flashlight with batteries and spare bulb

6 spare batteries AA; 4 spare batteries AAA

yellow whistle/compass combo

package of teeny little compasses (about 1/4 inch across, but they work!)

small bag of mineral samples of varying value

1 personal earphone/radio

1 ea. small, med, large biner clips

2" x 3" diary-style notebook, hard plastic cover

2 laminated geocaching U business card size handouts

1 laminated geocaching U pamplet size handout

3x4 notebook with cache note "laminated' on it with tape

2" x 3" Mickey Mouse playing cards in hard plastic case

black and white chip clip

green plastic ball with a frog in it

film canister with plastic bag in it (for cito)

a ready-to-set-out micro of a unique container type

3 pens, 3 pencils

1 strip of "write in the rain" paper to use for emergency cache page replacement

a handful of assorted sized ziploc bags

and for my own use: PDA, GPS, handi-wipe, carmex, multi-tool, small pocketknife; a few sig items I picked up recently

The large bag has a similar assortment, but also includes a couple of wooden 3-D puzzles, some larger geocaching buttons, a couple of lanyards, some "crush and heat up" hand and foot warmers, an emergency blanket/reflector, a small stapler, a few postcards of local areas of interest, a couple of slightly larger read-to-go cache containers, etc.

I have a box that stays in the trunk of the car with some replacement items in case I get out into an area that has lots of good trading opportunities (or lots of cache containers in need of TLC). There is another box at home that I toss new purchases in so I can easily restock my supplies when I get home from a day of caching. Any time I am shopping and see something that I would like to find in a cache on a good sale, I stock up. The items range in price from about 50 cents to about $10 in value, so I feel like I can trade fairly at most caches. Sometimes that means trading two or three things for one nicer thing...but at least I can match the value. I can usually help of a cache that has problems, or even replace it if it's cracked or has lost it's top etc

I am at just over 200 caches now, and am starting to get a feel for what I need to carry in my area. The wooden puzzles go over well, but they need a larger cache. I have never gone back to a cache that I visited earlier and found the buttons still there. Young ladies love the diary notebooks.

So what's in your swag bag?

zipper pull compasses (that actually work), small pill bottles (for evil nano caches I filter out with pocket queries), neodymium magnets (not near the compasses) and books (registered with bookcrossing.com).

I don't actually have a swag bag though, that is what the trunk of my car is for :lol:

Sig items (coins in envelopes), a bag of polished stones, some trinkets that came out of Christmas crackers, a couple pairs of unregistered TB tags, a spare logbook and some spare baggies (genuine Ziploc -- only the best will do).

The amount of stuff I carry waxes and wanes. I'll see a cache that needs some TLC and curse myself for not carrying more. I'll carry more for a while and curse myself for all the heavy, jingly junk I carry.

I'm running a little light at this time, but if memory serves correct (I'm on my work PC now lol), my swag bag has 1) Yogi Bear McToy, 2) JetsGo button, 3) Blue carabiner, 4) Petro Canada key fob, 5) rubber caterpillar :lol: All items have been swapped from previous caches lol

So far I've made an effort to conduct a trade at every cache I've visited, and always try to trade evenly-or-up so the cache maintains or slightly improves in worth.

New cacher here, having only had my GPSr a week, so I have fresh stock in my backpack from loading up before we made our first trip:

* caribiner combination locks

* mini first aid kits

* those waterproof beach safes that you can wear around your neck

* mini jigsaw puzzles

* little stuffed bears

* child swimming goggles with various sea creatures on them

* crystal stickers (used for body tattoos, scrapbooking)

* glitter shoelaces with little sparkly beads

* blinking led reflectors shaped like dog bones to be worn on dog collars (stocked especially for pet-themed caches I plan to visit)

I also carry cds of live concert recordings from my favorite band (NOT "bootlegs" -- the band allows and encourages taping by its fans so long as the music is traded or given away, and not sold for profit.) This band has some of the best tapers in the community and the recordings are impecible, sound as good and sometimes better than official live releases from the record company.

I have been adding to my swag bag. I have stuff I have traded from other caches. I had added to my swag bag. Jumping beans (not real ones but the toy ones) Ty bears that I got at flea market for really cheap like a dollar. I have a bumble ball from the dollar store. Small wind chimes. A ball, a couple of Key chains, a nice pin.

I have left extra swag in a cache to when that cache was low. I find when I go shopping now if I see something that might be fun of a swag I get it. I have a bag of other stuff for when I put a cache and I use some of that stuff too. :lol:

Well, so far my finds are only 2 Virtual caches. But I have been thinking about the swag. I am still working on this....as I want nice but not super expensive items. So far I have signature handmade lizard beaded keychains/zipper pulls, rubics cube key chains, plastic puzzles, bandaids. I plan to add bracelets and such. I guess first I need to find some caches to trade. Dd also is working on her swag box. She has same/similar items in her box. Just have to get out there, check it out, and get after it.

ttfn

I have only once taken a piece of swag from a cache, and I have it on good authority from the person who left it it was rescued from being discarded as trash at work.

I generally leave a new Hot Wheels car in every cache I visit. I bought a bunch at a local flea market for 50¢ each, new in a blister pack. Not a bad deal at all. I may also leave a small "pocket 10 pack" of tissues which I can tell by some logs have come in handy for other cachers at times. You can guess a use.

I have also left pens or pencils in caches that need them, and have just purchased a bunch of plastic pencil sharpeners to go back and place in my caches. I might even buy more so I can drop one in each cache I find that needs one.

This is the use for the tissues: "Cache was slightly moist inside--took the tissues to dry everything out."

One thing that we leave frequently is a matching geocaching magnet/button/carabiner combo in a mini ziplock. The buttons are from bumblebuttons.com; the matching magnets are from carolinakeepsakes.com -- they aren't listed on the site, but she usually includes one for free if you order something else. So I asked if I could buy a bunch, and she was happy to oblige. She even included all the mini ziplocks. The carabiners we got in bulk on ebay.

combo2fv.jpg

I think we started out with close to 100 sets of these things, and we're down to our last handful. I'll have to see if I can get some more. They seem to get picked up pretty quickly after we leave them. I smiled at yesterday's log from a first-time cacher who picked one of them up a couple of days after we dropped it off:

icon_smile.gifJuly 15 by (name deleted) (1 Found)

First cache, and I pull a nice little packet of geocache logo goodies- perfect experience. :-)

Heh.. thanks for giving me an excuse to go through my bag and inventory it. I have a habit of throwing stuff in there and not remembering what I have! I have a backpack purchased just for caching. Although most times it stays in the car unless it's going to be a long walk and I'm packing liquid refreshment.

OK here's what I have in there right now:

GPS (pack stays in car, so does GPS... cause you never know.. :P )

Ziploc bags for caches that need them

3 pens

3 pencils (1 mechanical type)

box of highlighters (25 cents from work)

4 mini squirt guns

6 slide whistles

7 Micro cars - small enough to go in some micro caches

5 Hotwheels cars - some purchased new, some traded

4 mini cans of Play-doh (bought a 12 pack tube)

3 fine point Sharpie markers of assorted colors (again from work... super cheap)

***the rest of this stuff is stuff I traded for...I think***

3 keychains (one rubiks cube, one mini notebook and one mini flashlight)

1 pair of sunglasses (for trading)

1 Coca-cola ballcap

box of spare AA batteries (aquired from a friend who has an endless supply of "slightly used" batteries)

***Geez this list is long***

3 assorted wooden nickels received as trades

1 bracelet charm (camera)

1 glow-in-the-dark skeleton

1 "God Bless America" button

1 hackey sack

1 tennis ball

1 miniature bottle of Tabasco sauce

1 viking figurine

2 rubber bouncy balls

***I really need to clean this thing out!***

Assorted coins of various origins and values including Sac. dollars and canadian coins (loonies and toonies) I use for trades and some others I have traded for.

No-no items removed from caches such as a mini pocket knife and box cutters(? why?)

Small multi-tool (not for trade)

Mini flashlight that's attached to the pack with a lanyard and biner clip (not for trade)

Digital Camera (not for trade)

Orange County Choppers T-shirt (planned trade for a specific themed cache)

2 books (also meant for specific caches)

1 White Jeep Travel bug! :P

1 small notebook (for a cache that needs it)

***Hmmm... is that everything??***

Oh wait, there's a trail mix bar in this pocket (not for trade)

OK I think that's it.. Gee no wonder I rattle so much when I put this thing on!

The first items: Play-doh, hotwheels, water guns, whistles etc are the things I've purchased specifically for caches. There are alot of people who cache with their kids in this area and I like having things to keep them interested. Yeah... I do it for the kids!!! :cry: It's not an addiction!!! :lol:

I tend to find something inexpensive and useful and buy it in bulk. Swag bag will usually only contain a bunch of that item, unless I have some leftovers from my previous purchase. Right now there are about 20 individual packs of Off! insect repellent wipes.

OOOhhh... Nice item!! I picked up a package of the Cutter Mosquito wipes out of a cache today and was quite happy with my find! I'm constantly being nibbled on (I guess I'm just tooo sweet :blink: ) while caching. I'm definitely planning on getting some more bug wipes to keep in my bag.

as a newbie I have to stash and have stashed this week:

glo-stix

wind chimes

super balls

all sorts of balloons

smelly bath-salt type stuff

decorative soaps

pez dispensers

cookie cutters

play doh molds

clip-things to wear your keys around your neck

sea shells

unsharpened pencils

sharpie markers

Avon bug repellant wipes

Avon dated Christmas Bulbs (unused and still in orig box)

and am thiking about using a $2 bill I got in change last night......but my kids are gonna sqwack if they see me leave it...lol

Edited by dsmyhubby
smelly bath-salt type stuff

decorative soaps

pez dispensers

Most of that list sound fun to find, but did you know that there is some reason for concern that scented items will attract wild critters to the cache?

I put play-doh in a cache once and in less than two days someone else found it torn apart and spread all over the area it was hidden in--the owner suspected neighborhood kids, but I am pretty sure it was animals. Others have reported problems with Play-doh also.

These days I play it safe and avoid anything that ever had food in it and put notihing scented in a cache.

Heres whats in our bag

to trade

6 geocaching keychains (home made)

6 metalclip keychains w/compass on each

CD (local group called second nature) for a CD cache we are hitting this weekend

4 dinasaur books for a dino cache again this weekend

6 funfoam visers

6 little leather wallet kits

6 card games

not to trade

GPS

3 pens

pencil sharpener (to sharpen any dull pencils we run accross)

note book

can of off

trash bags

rubber gloves (just in case)

I have:

some California Quarters

a couple little single AAA maglites.

a couple little McToy-types that I traded out of a cache (for now)

a couple "#1CHEESE" California License plate keychains

a couple "CAGROWN" California License plate pins

a couple Mini-micro type cars for smaller caches.

if I run out of trading stuff, I always keep some extra batteries

Hi All!

Newbie cacher here! I lurk a LOT on the forums and I'd love some input/feedback on my swag!

These are some of the items I put together last night. I cache with my kids so most of my items are kid-centric, as are the caches we have been looking for.

cacheswag.JPG

Most of the caches I've found so far have a lot of mctoy type things in them and a few personalized items. I've been trying to come up with something fun and inexpensive that still has a little bit of cache-appeal. I printed up some labels with my GC username and my children's team name on them. The packaging is fairly waterproof unless it was completely submerged or something. (corsage bags, I'm a florist so it's what I had a LOT of!)

The kid goodie bags have sheets of stickers and a bouncy ball in them. I thought that individual grab bags would be good rather than having things rolling around in the bottom of a cache container.

I like crafty handmade stuff, so I made up some marble magnets with clip art images of a satellite, a compass rose and a lucky clover. Those are in three packs in their own bags.

I have a few little bags of wildflower seed mix as well. I've only dropped those in caches that look like they will stay nice and dry. We don't get much rain here at all until late fall, but I'd hate for the seeds to start sprouting in a cache! :lol:

I also carry a supply of "squashed" pennies from various touristy places, and a handful of nice foreign coins for small caches.

I've also thought of putting lottery scratch-off tickets in a cache, but I didn't know if that would be kosher. A little something for the caching adults...

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

-Christine

I do not usually have a swag bag, I usually just put it together with a few trinkets depending on the number of caches I might find that day that me and my sister do not want. Sometimes if I have a friend over to do geocaching I might also ask them to bring a few things also.

How many of you carry a 'slightly' more expensive item or two with you all the time just hoping to run into some really great swag?

i used to but I decided to put it in a cache that I was creating. If I come upon a great piece of swag I will probably trade several items for it if I don't have one thing to trade that would be equal.

Hi All!

Newbie cacher here! I lurk a LOT on the forums and I'd love some input/feedback on my swag!

I have a few little bags of wildflower seed mix as well.

I've also thought of putting lottery scratch-off tickets in a cache,

The kiddie packages are terrific--the packaging makes them look extra nice...Good presentation. I would smile if I found them in one of my caches even if it wasn't something I wanted to trade for, I think that someone would find it attractive.

I have found lottery tickets in caches before --especially gambling theme caches--and never seen anyone complain about them. I would like to find them myself. Someone will probably object because that means that you might potentially trade something of value for something of no value--but they have to recognize that they are really trading for a chance to dream, which has to have some value. A cynic is going to tell you not to use scratch-offs because someone will come along, scratch them off to see if they are winners or not and only then make their trade--but I still like the idea.

I have thought about seeds before--heirloom seeds would be great to share---but I worried that the seeds *might* attract critters (Actually I asked about it, and someone else made me worry about it). I am not convinced that the threat is great--after all, most seed eating critters are too small to tear open a cache. But I have decided to test my theory on my own caches before trying it in anyone else's cache. So the next few caches I put out will have seeds in them. I don't expect problems, but if there are I will certainly post the results here.

I haven't been caching for very long. I usually carry items such as: Bouncy balls, Bobbers (with smiley faces on em), Little decorative trinkets (ex: a leaf broach<I've dropped off already> or like my little "The Ozarks" mini pitcher), $1 DVDs (Older Westerns and such), Wooden plaques, extra zip locks (3 sizes), small plastic boxes (that is water proof to a point), Some books I got in a bulk box that was double titles one's I have or have read or romance, Fishing line, Sea Shells (small med and large) Shiny rocks, had a few small pins (such as a cat instruments ect), and a few other Misc things. I also carry extra paper, pens and pencils. :lol:

I just recently replenished my swag bag. these are some of the things I have:

-Post it notes in cute shapes

-caribeaners

-matchbox cars

-small 'CSI' type flashlights

-bug repellant pins

-stickers

-i luv toledo magnets

-Toledo book marks

-Toledo postcards

-Neopets trading cards (for kid caches)

-Hand sanitizer

-Puppy Picture Frame

-Wooden nickel (picked up from another cache)

-Screw driver with multiple tips

-Small stuffed animals

-Travel Bugs!!

I like items from the area that we are caching in, ie A corn butter brush friom the Corn Fest on Ridgville, Oh. It's kind of interesting to get things like that from far away...

:lol:

:rolleyes: Just thought I would tell you about the greatest "swag" find i have had, granted I have less than 10 finds but I have seen the junk people leave. Today right on top of the cache I found a nicely debarked stick just the right size for a walking stick. I have never thought about that as something to leave but hey we are always comming up w/ sticks and debarking one is easy to do and it can really make someones day (and it doesn't cost much :ph34r: )

blenz

Christineincali

I think your little goody bags are great! Very clever. I would enjoy finding one of your bags and I know my daughter would too. It's nice that you put so much effort into it.

I've been trying to come up with nice things for caches myself. I know people hate the McToys but my daughter loves them. I was thinking about seeds too. Years ago I used to make ornaments out of handmade paper that had seeds embedded in the paper. All you had to do was tear up the paper, add water and voila - flowers. I was thinking about putting those in caches. I never would have thought about the seeds attracting animals. I also thought about homemade citronella soap but I guess that might have the same effect. Back to the drawing board.

I don't carry a swag bag, another team member does when he comes, but if "JJJ" doesn't tag along, it's a straight TNLNSL.

I figured that you didn't carry swag with you. I noticed in one of your logs that you said that you took something from a cache and only left a TB. FYI --If you are going to take items from the cache, you really ought to leave something in return. Most folks won't leave just a TB because that isn't something that someone else gets to keep.

Edited by Team Neos

I'm really glad that I started this thread. I have seen some really terrific ideas for new things to stock in my swag bag. I like to trade, and unlike some areas, we have a lot of caches around here with respectable swag to trade. Camping/hunting/caching things are always a good idea for the grown ups, but this thread has given me some good ideas for the kids.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something? I found my first one yesterday and felt I should leave soemthing to commemorate the occasion. . . <_<

absolutely. the rule of thumb is trade even or trade up... which mean swap 1 for 1 or put in more than you took out.

I recently ordered some patches:

NASA "worm" logo

NASA "vector" logo

American Flag (two sizes)

and a bunch of cool "Remove Before Flight" keychains. I also printed up slogans (mostly latin, some in english) and laminated them. I drop a NASA patch or keychain, an American flag, and a laminated slogan in each cache.

Unfortunately 9 times out of 10 there's nothing in the cache I'd like to take, so this is mostly a "walk around dropping off swag", which is ok, since its the hunt and going to new places that makes this fun.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something?  I found my first one yesterday and felt I should leave soemthing  to commemorate the occasion. . .  :)

Well, it depends on the desires of the cache owner. Some are supposed to be log-only. Though even very small micros usually tolerate very small trade items, if they'll fit. Even teeny-tiny ones, you'll sometimes find stamps or small coins. On the other hand, if it's empty because the people before you haven't traded well, anything you can do to upgrade the cache is usually much appreciated.

And congratulations on sneaking a provocative username past the automated Dadgumifier :)

Taking a TB and not leaving anything in return is okay, right?  Today I took a travel bug and just signed the log.  Of course I plan on leaving the TB at the next cache I find.

Right, that's fine. Tbs aren't trade items, they are just little travelers that you help along their way.

All you need to do with the TBs is to make sure that you log them out of the cache they are in and log them into the cache you put them into. Some TBs have special goals (one that I picked up wanted its picture taken at concerts) but most that I have found just want to travel.

The most important thing to know is that the TB has a private number and a public number. Make sure you write down the private number correctly before you drop it off so you can log it when you get home. Some people think that its confusing the first time they log a TB. Don't hesitate to go to the TB forum or to email someone to ask for help if you need it.

Edited by Team Neos
Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something?  I found my first one yesterday and felt I should leave soemthing  to commemorate the occasion. . .  :anibad:

Well, it depends on the desires of the cache owner. Some are supposed to be log-only. Though even very small micros usually tolerate very small trade items, if they'll fit. Even teeny-tiny ones, you'll sometimes find stamps or small coins. On the other hand, if it's empty because the people before you haven't traded well, anything you can do to upgrade the cache is usually much appreciated.

And congratulations on sneaking a provocative username past the automated Dadgumifier :(

Is it provocative??. . .i think it's just accurate. . . :anibad:

dd

Edited by dykediva
Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something?  I found my first one yesterday and felt I should leave soemthing  to commemorate the occasion. . .  :anibad:

And congratulations on sneaking a provocative username past the automated Dadgumifier :(

Is it provocative??. . .i think it's just accurate. . . :anibad:

dd

What can I say? I hate opera :)

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something? I found my first one yesterday and felt I should leave soemthing to commemorate the occasion. . . :anibad:

I found a cache just this morning that has nothing in it except the log, and I left a bunch of stuff.

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question but if a cache is empty and only a log is it OK to still leave something?  ...

I found a cache just this morning that has nothing in it except the log, and I left a bunch of stuff.

I looked that one up...Looks like you did a really nice thing there. The next people will have a great time finding the cache, thanks to your effort. Good deed done. Way to go!

I wiped out the kids party favor aisle at Wal-Mart this morning. I got Elmo super bounce balls (the big ones), mini Uno decks (way cute), paratroopers (remember those? one was stuck on the power lines behind my gramma's house for years!), Wooly Willys, tiny little paint sets, shiny USA pencils, whistles shaped like footballs, sets of large plastic jacks, just stuff! Lots of it! A couple of small stuffed animals, and some compass caribiners in there, too. Oh, and I carry Ohio quarters for out of state caches.

I also made our own sig item out of that Crayola craft dough stuff. It feels like rubber and is easy to mold and draw on. One package made about 90 coins the size of a film cannister. I stamped our little rubber stamp into them before they dried, then colored them with permanent marker when they were solid.

Maggieszoo

Waverly, Ohio