Bicycle Caching On Toronto Island This Weekend

Couparangus

Howdy fellow cycling cachers! :D

There are three of us planning on doing some caching by bike (bicycle that is) this Sunday (July 17th) in the Cherry Street, Leslie St Spit/Tommy Thompson Park, Ashbridges Bay & Toronto Island areas (I think I counted 20 caches on the list including some minor detours) :D I've found a couple of them already so for these you're assured a find :lol: We'll be starting out at N43 38.277 W79 20.725 or thereabouts, where parking is free, and hitting the island after we've "cleared" the mainland shoreline of caches. I'd like to see if anyone else might be interested in coming along. Terrain is flat, but bank on riding at least 15 miles (24km) before we're done :P - perhaps more. Ferry departs every hour and half-hour and will cost you 6$ return :D Reply here or email me if you're interested or have any questions. :o

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

I'll be there... oh wait, I'm one of the "three" :D Should make for a nice tour of the bottom end of town. Sounds like Filmclips will also be joining us at the parking co-ords, so there's another member to our roving cycle gang... Are we taking orders for the custom embroidered leather jackets yet? Hell's Cachers... :lol: I think it could work!

TOMTEC

Nice spray job C-A... Hmm, it might be little warm for the leather, now that I think about it... How about a spandex version? B) I'll bring the camera! B)

Don't worry Annie, there will be few more cycle cache trips this summer. It's the best way to leave the bugs behind on the trails... Just gotta keep your mouth closed! :D

TOMTEC

We prefer to avoid Toronto on hot, hazy, humid, smog alert days. And be prepared to get involved in some Caribana crowds as it starts on July 15th.

I think we'll be fine for crowds. The big parade and party is the following weekend (long weekend). There's nothing scheduled for Sunday.

We plan to do the islands once the temperatures cool off a bit and Caribana clears out.

Its always a little cooler on the island. B)

What time were you thinking of starting on that bike trip? I'd love to go on it, but I'll need to work out some transportation details.

We haven't finalized but I think it would be a good idea to be underway at 9AM at the bottom of Cherry Street.

A note on the ferries. Bicycles aren't allowed on the Centre Island ferry on weekends. However, they are allowed on the boat to Wards Island and Hanlan's Point. That gives us a departure every 15 minutes from the ferry terminal so we won't be waiting long.

C-A

I think we'll be fine for crowds. The big parade and party is the following weekend (long weekend). There's nothing scheduled for Sunday.

Whew!!! Had me worried there for a minute.

We haven't finalized but I think it would be a good idea to be underway at 9AM at the bottom of Cherry Street.

9 AM sounds good to me. Even earlier would be fine. Just stick a Timmy's in my hand and I'm good to go.

Cheers, Olar

Edited by Olar

Aww, and I was really looking forward to dodging all the dancers along the parade route on my kamikaze downhill rig B)... Especially after Keith Watson decided to avoid the city core on the 24 hour run due to the Pride parade! :mad:

9 AM should give everyone plenty of time to arrive and gear up. Now to finalize our carpool plans... Whose turn is it to drive this time? he he (or a better question, who can fit all the bikes!)

TOMTEC

I was really looking forward to dodging all the dancers along the parade route on my kamikaze downhill rig

Banzai!!!! B)

Now to finalize our carpool plans... Whose turn is it to drive this time?

What? You're not cycling from home down to the bottom of Cherry Street??

Well I could, but then I'd probably have to ride all the way back to try and locate the bodies of my riding companions... passed out in a ditch! B)

Plus, I don't think the knobbies would last too long on the road...

TOMTEC

Well I could, but then I'd probably have to ride all the way back to try and locate the bodies of my riding companions... passed out in a ditch!

Young whippersnapper! (More likely you'd find us a pub with an early opening time!! B) )

Plus, I don't think the knobbies would last too long on the road...

Now you're calling me a "knobby". No respect, no respect!! Humphh!! :blink:

If you want to make your way over to my house you can ride down in my van. I do however stipulate that you not throw any foreign objects from the window and refrain from singing any gansta rap.

C-A

I do however stipulate that you not throw any foreign objects from the window and refrain from singing any gansta rap.

Hmm, I'll have to reprogram the iPod then... Back to some good old fashioned death metal then... :blink:

TOMTEC

Alright CA, we have to confess - this summer we have become beach bums. And this weekend is Ribfest & Craft Beer Show in Barrie. Geocache or beach, ribs and beer? Hmmmm - Afraid geocaching loses.

Cycling in T.O. sounds like fun and we hope others join in. Maybe next time there is a group hunt, we will join in.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I could run right down Dixie Rd to the lake and come east on the waterfront trail. If I have to be there for 9am, starting out around 6am should give me plenty of time.

Back to some good old fashioned death metal then...

I can work within this framework. :D

Geocache or beach, ribs and beer? Hmmmm - Afraid geocaching loses.

I totally understand. After all those ribs & beer I'm sure you'll be feeling very guilty thus assuring your participation in the next outing! B) I see the confirmation in your next sentence (edited for space) ;)

Cycling in T.O. sounds like fun...next time there is a group hunt, we will join in...
If I have to be there for 9am, starting out around 6am should give me plenty of time.

Unecessary now - transportation has been arranged. :D

Coupar Angus

Maybe the number of caches is scaring people off? I counted again and there are only 17 of them, 7 of which are on the island. The terrain is very flat, like the tires on your bike. :laughing: Probably the best view of Toronto is had from the Leslie St spit. The temperature on the island is always milder than elsewhere in the city and there's always some wind. Another consideration is the "clothing optional" beach, which I know Tomtec is keen on checking out. :)

This should be a good day. I know some Torontonians who've never been to the island and this is a shame as its arguably the best park in the city.

Cheers!

Cycle-Angus

Another consideration is the "clothing optional" beach, which I know Tomtec is keen on checking out. :)

Ha ha, if only to see if it's a popular as the nudist resort over near one of my caches... which just happpens to be right in the middle of mosquito country! (Honestly, who's bright idea was that? Lets all run around with no clothes on while being swarmed by mosquitos!)

TOMTEC

Another consideration is the "clothing optional" beach, which I know Tomtec is keen on checking out. :rolleyes:

Ha ha, if only to see if it's a popular as the nudist resort over near one of my caches... which just happpens to be right in the middle of mosquito country! (Honestly, who's bright idea was that? Lets all run around with no clothes on while being swarmed by mosquitos!)

TOMTEC

Hey you can always slap on gobs of DEET and not worry about staining your clothing. :P

it's a popular as the nudist resort over near one of my caches...

Hmmm....sounds like you know where *all* the nudists locations are. :P

slap on gobs of DEET

Wow, both you guys seem to be *up* on this nudist thing. :rolleyes:

Sounds like fun, but I already have a commitment to cache elsewhere

Don't let the nudity scare you 1701EH. I was planning on discouraging these guys from cycling with no clothes on anyway. :P I think they're just disappointed at missing the pride celebrations of the other week. :P

I so would have gone on this run if I had not fallen from a tree and shattered my foot.  Anyone have any special Aircast biking rigs that would allow me to attend? :P

Hmm, I do believe C-A has a nice sturdy tow along trailer... I'm sure he would be more than happy to haul you around for the day! :rolleyes: He he, that would be a good workout!

TOMTEC

I so would have gone on this run if I had not fallen from a tree and shattered my foot.  Anyone have any special Aircast biking rigs that would allow me to attend? :P

Hmm, I do believe C-A has a nice sturdy tow along trailer... I'm sure he would be more than happy to haul you around for the day! :P He he, that would be a good workout!

TOMTEC

Wouldn't be so bad. We'd only have to get him to the "clothing optional" beach area and park him there for the day. A couple bottles of water, sunglasses, and a good book would be all Swifty would need to keep him happy for hours and hours. :rolleyes:

Hmm, I do believe C-A has a nice sturdy tow along trailer...

Ah, I just checked and the max weight is 80lbs. So close, yet so far. :P

A couple bottles of water, sunglasses, and a good book

If what I hear is true, a good book is a good idea on that beach! :lol:

All the same, I'll bring along my field glasses just in case. :P

bino6assy5.jpg

Just a quick update in case anyone is interested. Despite the hours of driving rain, challenging parking, one failed cache find, having to navigate around a triathalon, and a disappointeing showing on the clothing optional beach, we had a great time!!! This gang caching on bikes is great fun. We logged a little more mileage that expected, actually a lot more: 54.9km - 4km (2x ferry crossings) = 50.9km (32 miles).

Cheers!

Coupar-Angus

The day was a blast. Everything that was liable to be damaged by the rain was put away somewhere safe. Everything else was soaked by noon. I didn't mind too much though, it was warm enough to not be a problem. The rain kept things nice and cool, so we didn't have to worry too much about the heat.

By my count, we visited 15 cache sites, and made 14 finds. We traveled about 50km, but spent 11 hours doing it, so we didn't really kill ourselves. It was just a great day of cycling. No hills, almost all of it on pavement, and the toughest traffic was the pedestrian traffic on the islands.

I'm already looking forward to the next bicycle caching trip!