Tb Hotel Trade Rules

WH

I can't help but question the integrity of the individual who would create a trap to snag unwary travelers.

Now, now, let's not start down that road. The majority of people really do think they are helping cachers by insuring they have travelers available when people visit the cache.

I know of only two cachers who actively harvest bugs and place them in remote location to intentionally strand them. Those people boast about their actions and I always give them a very, very hard time when they pop in here to brag. (Well, as hard as the Mods will let me.)

The main thing is that new geocachers ...

To me the main point of my post was that playing 20 questions with someone that hasn't posted in thread for a long time doesn't make much sense.

Agree, disagree, explain why you feel that way doesn't depend on someone else, but asking questions of what is effectively a 'wall' is silly :) .

I can't help but question the integrity of the individual who would create a trap to snag unwary travelers.

Now, now, let's not start down that road. The majority of people really do think they are helping cachers by insuring they have travelers available when people visit the cache.

Excellent point, BD. I really can't fathom how anyone can come to a conclusion other then the one the overwhelming majority of people have expressed here in this forum repeatedly (TB'S are meant to travel, trading never required), but TB Prison owners really believe assuring TB's are traded for in the cache is "helping". Many of them still even after being given the flawless (in my opinion) arguments against such a policy.

I know of only two cachers who actively harvest bugs and place them in remote location to intentionally strand them. Those people boast about their actions and I always give them a very, very hard time when they pop in here to brag. (Well, as hard as the Mods will let me.)

Oh, that guy. :) Thanks to you, he'll probably be showing up again shortly. :)

Oh, that guy. :) Thanks to you, he'll probably be showing up again shortly. :(

Yes, when you speak of evil, evil hears you and comes calling. B)

Sort of like when Lord Voldemort gets summoned. Seeing as there's a new Harry Potter book and movie out currently and all. :) Thanks for summoning him. B)

To be honest I kind of prefer if my TBs end up in remote or difficult caches. It's when three people visit the cache in 4 months and "discover" it (at least i know its still there though) instead of moving it along that it bothers me (grrrr) Somehow, I feel like its safer in the remote location. there are fewer muggles, and for some reason I'm more likely to trust the muggles and cachers who will hike to a remote location.

Now, I know this has been hashed out MANY times but it still kinda bugs me.

In recent weeks, 2 TB hotels have been placed in my area and both have rules on them to keep a certain number of bugs in the cache at all times.

TB's are are the property of the bug owner and are not subject to any trade rules that the owner of the cache feels like placing on them.

I have been avoiding both caches because I have very strong opinions on them and I would most likely grab a TB or 2 and not leave any in return thus ticking off the cache owner.

What would you do?

Oooh I like this topic. But before I answer I should warn you...I haven't read others' responses. I would like to post my opinion before I do.

I am new to the game. I bought 5 Travel Bugs and activated 4 so far. I feel these travel bugs are technically my contributions to the sport, and as such they should be subject to the goals I place for them. However, I read the geocaching guidelines. The tracking of the travelbugs, no matter how nice the hitchiker is that I put on it, is the right and property of geocaching. (woah!)

Likewise, geocaches, and travelbug hotels are paid for by the placer. Geocaching though, posts the coordinates on the site for other members. Therefore the right and property of actually finding that TB Hotel again belongs to Groundspeak. (GASP!)

I metion this, because as the users contribute to the sport, it evolves. Each member brings their own experiences and philosophies to the table. Of course we are going to disagree. Of course we hope other membrs are responsible, however we know, that not all members share our view points.

I like your conviction of NOT PLACING BUGS IN THE CACHE. Unless the bug likes to hang out in a cache with restrictions on it, I wouldn't place one here either.

However I don't think I agree with your suggestion of violating the rules of the cache. By reading the cache page and realizing the rules in the first place, your act of seeking that cache suggests compliance with the placers wishes. If you didn't comply, then your actions are malicious, and since this is supposed to be a family friendly sport, I am sure Groundspeak would frown on malicious activity of any kind.

I'd also like to add, people who release TBs shouldn't have very lofty expectations of that travel bug staying within any particular set of guidelines. There are too many inexpereinced cachers out there. For that matter, cache owners have to assume some risks too. Muggles are used all the time to explain bad things that have happened to our caches and travel bugs. So neither party should have enormous expectations.

The only expectations we have are those established by geocaching. Follow grounspeak's guidelines to placing caches and to using travel bugs. Outside those guidelines what happens, happens. Whether it be fate, muggles or brownies that violated your expectations there isn't much we can do about it.

Now I'm going back to read what everybody else said. After all...I am still a newbie.

In recent weeks, 2 TB hotels have been placed in my area and both have rules on them to keep a certain number of bugs in the cache at all times.

TB's are are the property of the bug owner and are not subject to any trade rules that the owner of the cache feels like placing on them.

I have been avoiding both caches because I have very strong opinions on them and I would most likely grab a TB or 2 and not leave any in return thus ticking off the cache owner.

What would you do?

You state the guiding factor-------TB's are are the property of the bug owner and are not subject to any trade rules that the owner of the cache feels like placing on them.

This sort of cache should be cleaned out :) just before a GeoMeet, and the bugs handed out to be put into different caches owned by others without logging :) . Others can discover them and grab them from the prison. Of course, it is a necessity to send the TB owner a PM letting them know the bug has been liberated and it's new location B) .

There was a cache in Long Beach that had but one Geocoin in it, and the Geocoin was owned by the cache owner. It was requested to never take the coin, and only discover it.

This type of "prison" I respect, since it is the coin owner's wish, since he is also the cache owner.

Also, the coin had a hole drilled into it, and was chained to the cache, so you couldn't take it anyway, not without taking the whole cache!

But if I saw one of my travellers sitting in a TB prison, I would post a note to the TB prison page asking someone to please take my poor traveler, regardless of the rules of the cache owner. The cache owner does not own my Travelbug. I do. And unless my Travelbug has broken the law, I don't expect him to be stuck in prison. :P

:D

Travel Bug Prison-Oklahoma Branch

Personally I dont care if all the bugs are taken at once or not.

I just have to ask, would you care if a local cacher went and retrieved all the bugs as soon as you put them in there, all the time, every time? I'm sure there's a lot of people who would do that, seeing as it's just a prison, as you call it.

I really would not care. Its just a game to me. If I called this a Travel Bug Resort with a lake view, no one would get upset but the location, concept and design would all be the same.

:P

Of course you would care. If you go to all the work (fun) of designing and setting a hotel cache, it does matter that someone empties it, leaving nothing for the next poor cacher. It's a matter of courtesy.

Over an 8200 mile trip I slowly built up my inventory of trackables. So I drop off 9 trackables in my hotel cache near Interstate 5 on the 15th. I am hoping to have some guys come through and do some swapping so people in our area can enjoy some trackables. The next day a guy comes through and takes four of them and leaves nothing. He at least apologizes and promises to return with some in trade in September. Ok, I can live with that, I still have 5 left.

Yesterday this guy with over 4000 finds and who hit 28 caches that day comes through and takes the other five and doesn't leave a dadgum thing.

So my 30 caliber ammo can that is perfectly suited for travel bugs is now sitting in the desert, easily accessible off of the interstae with not a dadgum thing in it. I am sorry, but that pisses me off.

I most certainly understand that TB prison suck and that isn't cool, but come on. What about sharing trackables with everyone else?

I am just a bit miffed that I went from having 9 trackables in my hotel to having zero in three days. No new trackables are going to get dropped off there anytime soon and now people will probably just drive on by.

Try to trade even, if you can't, why do you need to take more than two trackables?

Over an 8200 mile trip I slowly built up my inventory of trackables. So I drop off 9 trackables in my hotel cache near Interstate 5 on the 15th. I am hoping to have some guys come through and do some swapping so people in our area can enjoy some trackables. The next day a guy comes through and takes four of them and leaves nothing. He at least apologizes and promises to return with some in trade in September. Ok, I can live with that, I still have 5 left.

Yesterday this guy with over 4000 finds and who hit 28 caches that day comes through and takes the other five and doesn't leave a dadgum thing.

So my 30 caliber ammo can that is perfectly suited for travel bugs is now sitting in the desert, easily accessible off of the interstae with not a dadgum thing in it. I am sorry, but that pisses me off.

I most certainly understand that TB prison suck and that isn't cool, but come on. What about sharing trackables with everyone else?

I am just a bit miffed that I went from having 9 trackables in my hotel to having zero in three days. No new trackables are going to get dropped off there anytime soon and now people will probably just drive on by.

Try to trade even, if you can't, why do you need to take more than two trackables?

I'm sure the travel bug owners were quite happy to see their bugs get picked up and move on so quickly.

I am just a bit miffed that I went from having 9 trackables in my hotel to having zero in three days.

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel. - The Hermit Crabs 2005

If a cache owner complains that it's not good that someone takes all the bugs at once because then people won't be attracted to the cache... well duh... that's not the TB-taker's fault.

Make sure the cache is in a good, intriguing location to start with, make the cache interesting, make the hide interesting, and make it accessible and you won't have to resort to the gimmick of "leave x number of bugs in cache" to attract people there in the first place. The cache and location quality does the attracting.

I have a TB hotel cache that is often empty of TBs because I state on the page that there is no "leave x number of bugs in the cache".

However, the cache is in a cool location (near the local airport) which is hidden with very intriguing, fun, not-common camo, is not far from a beautiful river, has parking within 5 steps of the cache yet still is located in nice landscaping, is not far from a local commuter train. Because of this, the cache ends up with these kinda stats:

Number of "found" logs:808

Hidden: 10/7/2004 (that makes around 1024 days so far, thereabouts, as of this writing)

That makes about 1.25 new "found" logs per day on the average.

Because of location, camo, etc: number of TBs that have been thru this cache: 1476

I am NOT worried about bugs emptying out of this cache.

I admit I lucked out... another cacher knew the hotel manager in charge of the property and also had the talent to create the very cool camo. I give him full credit and thanks for that effort and he knows it.

Want more visitors? Get your imagination going, start scouting for especially good locations, ask for creative idea suggestions from other cachers, add some fun to your cache. Or find a cacher with a good location, and suggest you and he figure out how to upgrade it.

Inevitably someone in this forum will take the low road of defending their TB-prison, ranting at TB takers (or me for bringing up the cool cache stat results) in leu of taking a positive, creative initiative on their own on cache quality and creativity. That's just unfortunate human nature. It's always easier to complain at other people about things you can fix and get jealous of other people's efforts rather than take inspiration from them and try for something better. Frankly I would love seeing how my cache gets beaten as far as quality and location and stats is concerned by some other cache somewhere. It would give me upgrade ideas.

If your cache is not attracting people, don't blame the bug-takers. Don't resort a bug-prison rule as your only lure (i.e. lame gimmick) to get people to the cache. You the cache-owner can do much better than that, as far as creativity is concerned.

Edited by Sparrowhawk

Just to update the previous record; I think this may be a new record of 25 and this Prison Owner definitely has not read this thread :anibad:

Red Rock Travel Bug Resort

But thanks to this thread, and since I'm heading to a far off place next weekend, I'll be checking the wants of the TB OWNERS and likely picking up a few this weekend probably without leaving any.... MAYBE I'll drop off a few from far away when I get back from my far off place.

This is a "Mansion"? The culprit proclaims: "THIS CACHE HAS A 10 TRAVEL BUG MINIMIUM. THERE SHOULD ALWAYS BE AT LEAST 10 TRAVEL BUGS IN THE CACHE AT ALL TIMES. Place as many travel bugs in the cache as you want to, but only take as many as you place or more if there are more than 10 travel bugs in the cache. "

I think I hit the maximum with that last one... I don't think I can find anything worse than that (impolite word)!

Just to update the previous record; I think this may be a new record of 25 and this Prison Owner definitely has not read this thread :ph34r:

Red Rock Travel Bug Resort

But thanks to this thread, and since I'm heading to a far off place next weekend, I'll be checking the wants of the TB OWNERS and likely picking up a few this weekend probably without leaving any.... MAYBE I'll drop off a few from far away when I get back from my far off place.

You can do even better than that. :anibad:

Create your own "Get Out Of TB Jail Free" travel bug and leave it there in exchange for the imprisoned TBs. ;)

How to do that?

Just download this pdf, read the directions on it and have a blast. :tired::D

This PDF was originally inspired by this TB:

67f85eaa-9eec-4751-bfba-3e4da4f6c330.jpg

Edited by Sparrowhawk

All geocaches should stand on their own regardless of how many travelers are located in them.

From your cache page:

For those of you who could care less about Taft, this is a great location for travel bugs and GEO coins as you head up or down I-5. This has easy access for both northbound and southbound travel and has plenty of shoulder space for safe Geocaching. I am not into the trinkets aspect of Geocaching so you will have to fill up the .30 caliber ammo can with your own.

If you find a bunch of trackables in the cache, please try to trade as even as possible so people in our area can enjoy the trackables.

Travel bugs are not trade items.

If you see one you like and don't have a trade, take it if you can help it with its journey.
Again travelers are not trade items, they belong to someone else who wants them to travel.

There is no need for someone to take out five trackables and leave none behind for other cachers in our area to enjoy.
Again, you're trying to control trackable items that don't belong to you. This is the same as a TB Prison.

Here is the rules for my Travel Bug Resort:

Multiple trips to this cache, for the purpose of moving TBs is fine by me. You do not have to leave a travel bug, in order to take one.

On several occasions, my cache was travel bug free, and other cachers still found the cache without complaining. After all, my cache stands on it's own (nice location, nice place to visit) even when it's bug free.

Remember, They are geocaches, not "control stations" for travelers.

Edited by Kit Fox

What would you do?

What would you do?

What would you do?

[]I set up a Travel Bug Hostel (Hotel) to help keep bugs moving, as some Geocachers hold on to them a bit too long. My intent was to invite Travel Bug drop offs, not to make rules. If my Hostel is empty, fine, that's the objective, to keep them travelling. I agree, Travel Bugs belong to the owners, my Hostel cache is a service to all Travel Bug ownres, and geocachers who want to pick up or drop off bugs. My cache just ensures that bugs will not be left in a dead cache for weeks or months, because I monitor the cache. thank you

:( I released my first TB yesterday; it was picked up today..and then later today placed in what is referred to as a TB prison.

I just hope that it's a frequented spot.

I mean, I really understand why someone would put that kind of requirement on their cache, but I was just hoping my TB could travel a little before he met one..oh well.. :D

We just liberated three TBs form a hotel prison today!!!! It felt good! The poor things have been in there for 2+ months. (There are still 5 there that we couldn't help).

This is the "rule" on the cache page:

There are no standard trading items at this travel bug hotel. It is the resting place for Travel Bugs and their hitchhikers only. If you have TB's you need to launch, drop off or quickly exchange, this is the place. The same standard trading policies apply to travel bugs that generally apply to trading items. To take a bug, you should leave another in its place to keep the occupancy rate full.

Wish I had the Get Out of TB Jail Free Card. It would've been nice to leave.

I had a geocoin on my watchlist that hadn't moved in 4 months (TB/Coin hoarder :) ). So, I saw it dropped in a cache, yet to be published (Yippee :) ). The cache hits today, and what do I see? Geocoin Prison, with "the rule". Leave a coin if you wish to take one. And, sure enough, the FTF cacher reads the page, and fails to take the geocoin that hasn't moved in 4 months B) Unfortunately I can't send the cache owner a note (you're welcome to PM/email me if you want to know why that is), so hopefully it doesn't jail up too many travelers.

There is a jeep hotel about 50 miles away from here that has that rule (take one leave one) or feel free to discover them if you do not have one to trade. It is also posted that if the rules are not followed your log will be deleated. Now I understand this, in that then everyone gets to see and enjoy those infamous jeeps, but on the other hand it would be nice to see them in other areas as well, and lets face not everyone has a jeep to trade at all times.

Just a note this cache does seem to work well as it still has the same amount of jeeps in it all the time, but I've also noticed that most cachers just discover them leaving the jeeps on a long idel (hope they don't run out of gas LOL)

The way I found TB hotels on my trip was to do a search or a pocket query and then look and see which caches had TB and coin icons on them. Move your mouse over them and it will tell you how many are inside. I would then try to hit those up for that day.

I still disagree with you guys. I think you can have bug hotels that are not prisons. Taking 5 bugs that were just placed in the cache three days ago and leaving nothing is selfish. The bug hotel shouldn't be just for moving bugs, but for introducing bugs into an area.

If those 9 bugs had been there for weeks, I might understand, but they weren't. They didn't last three days.

And my cache gets traffic. The reason there are no bugs left isn't because it isn't interesting or it is a bad spot, it is because selfish people come through and take all the bugs and don't leave anything behind for anyone else in the area.

You can't blame bug traffic on the cache; caches don't pick bugs up and move them. People do.

Edited by elrojo14

There is a travel bug hotel near where I live. The latest bug to be put in there has been there for 107 days nearly 4 months the oldest one will have been in there for 5 months as of tommorow. Should I go and move the oldest ones on, or just leave them.

You should RUN and go get them all out of there, and move them along.

Please.

No, not to my knowledge. Groundspeak has always tried to do what's best for the hobby and the people who enjoy it, by not imposing any rules, other than what is necessary for the hobby to continue. Such as no caches in National Parks, asking permission from land owners, no digging to bury caches, that type of thing, to protect the hobby. If you look at the many various kinds of caches out there, you'll see that people like to use their imagination in creating cool caches for others to enjoy. To impose rule after rule after rule could constrict that creativity. I suppose it could be brought up for discussion, but the geocaching community should have some input. Most changes to the website are made because enough people asked.

Giving cache owners constructive feedback (a link to these threads perhaps) about their rules, in a polite manner, is another way to let them know how you feel. Because those caches are already out there in place.

Travel Bugs belong to the TB owner, not the cache owner. Travel Bugs are meant to travel, not sit still. Log them in, log them out, move them along - spread the word! You can tell them I said so. :laughing:

I still disagree with you guys. I think you can have bug hotels that are not prisons. Taking 5 bugs that were just placed in the cache three days ago and leaving nothing is selfish.

Travel bugs are owned by geocachers, every travel bug has an owner and the owner releases the travel bug and then depends uopn other geocachers to help move the bug. Every time a geocacher picks up a bug and logs it correctly the owner of the bug gets an email and they know that someone has taken the time to perform a service on their behalf, they have helped out by moving the travel bug. To suggest that those who help the TB owner by doing as requested are selfsh is simply absurd, it is a viewpoint that is completely out of touch with reality.

There is nothing selfish about moving travel bugs, ever. If you take and log travel bugs you are playing the game properly, the travel bug owners will appreciate your help and you are doing the right thing. If someone characterizzes your service as an act of selfishness they are demonstrating that the do not understand the basics of geocaching, you can ignore them just as you would ignore cache owners who tell you how you should handle travel bugs owned by other geocachers.

It has nothing to do with how long a bug has been in a cache, it has nothing to do with how many bugs you are moving, whenever you pick up and move a travel bug or travel bugs and you log them correctly you are performing a valuable service, one that makes this game work, one that is appreciated.

Viewing the moving of travel bugs as selfish is absurd.

Ok then, you convinced me. No more trade rules on my cache and I won't get upset if someone plunders my cache anymore. I will just look at it as a reason to make new TBs. Like I did the other day. Now my cache has six new bugs in it. Plus I e-mailed one of the guys who took 5 and he was nice enough to give 5 TBs to a guy and we are going to meet at an event in Inglewood and do a trade. Thank you for persuading me to see this in a new perspective.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2f-c2f908ff524e