Tb Hotel Trade Rules

WH

Now, I know this has been hashed out MANY times but it still kinda bugs me.

In recent weeks, 2 TB hotels have been placed in my area and both have rules on them to keep a certain number of bugs in the cache at all times.

TB's are are the property of the bug owner and are not subject to any trade rules that the owner of the cache feels like placing on them.

I have been avoiding both caches because I have very strong opinions on them and I would most likely grab a TB or 2 and not leave any in return thus ticking off the cache owner.

What would you do?

I fully concur with Pork King. I dropped off a TB in a cache and it went missing for nine months. The TB turned up in a TB Depot about 40 miles away from where I left it and spent more than 3 months there after being AWOL. I happened to be in the area and rescued the TB from the TB Depot. Brought the TB back home - about 150 miles - and released it again. That bug is still sitting there. Guess that it's just a slow mover. I know the owner is impressed with about 300 miles in one year. Travel Bugs are meant to move, not sit. JMHO. :lol:

Edited by Ken220

I just sent this email to the owner of a nearby TB hotel, with the following rules:

This is a Travel Bug themed cache!

The rule is anyone can claim a find on the cache, but to take a TB you MUST leave a TB!

Please don't put anything into the cache other than TB's.

If you don't have a bug, feel free to sign the guest book and post your find.

The cache has 10 Bugs in it and it should stay stocked with 10 Bugs please!

I noticed that there are at least 5 travel bugs who have remained locked up in your cache "name omitted" Bug Hotel, for over 4 months. The issue of TB logging rules was discussed in this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...90&hl=tb+prison , and the general consensus is they become TB prisons when rules are applied.

Posted by Jeremy (founder of Groundspeak, and Geocaching.com) "It's a silly rule. Travel bugs are meant to travel. Adding a restriction like trading them out doesn't make sense."

I thought this may be of interest to you.

I am generally against TB Hotel rules. In most cases, I'll do a trade and try to leave at least one as a courtesy. But if I'm able to help complete the mission of the only TB inside, I'll take it without hesitation.

If the owner is serious about always having a certain number of TBs inside, he or she can go hunt for some then drop a few in there. However, this can potentially lead to another problem, which is hoarding.

One TB minimum is probably the only rule I'd accept.

I am generally against TB Hotel rules. In most cases, I'll do a trade and try to leave at least one as a courtesy. But if I'm able to help complete the mission of the only TB inside, I'll take it without hesitation.

If the owner is serious about always having a certain number of TBs inside, he or she can go hunt for some then drop a few in there. However, this can potentially lead to another problem, which is hoarding.

One TB minimum is probably the only rule I'd accept.

Yeah....plus ya know if it's a hotel, sometimes all the clients go away!

and you gotta wait for more.

and about prisons...well one could argue that if a savior came alone, he could just save them without reporting them....they would be when the other person picks them up.....I'm just saying =)

Or create a better TB hotel close....to force them to shut the business lol

I have been avoiding both caches because I have very strong opinions on them and I would most likely grab a TB or 2 and not leave any in return thus ticking off the cache owner.

I've been thinking about laminating a "Get Out of Jail Free" card from a Monopoly game and turning in into a travel bug. Its mission would be for the current holder of the bug to go to a TB "Hotel" that has restrictive trading rules or minimum-number-of-bugs rules, and trade the get-out-of-jail TB for all of the hostages being held inside.

Hey WH, I can send it to you, and you can visit your local prison and free the bugs without ticking off the cache owner: blame it all on me. "I'm sorry I had to break your TB-trading rules, but the TB I was holding said that I had to! Blame the evil hermit crabs, not me!"

I have a feeling that such a bug would have a short lifespan, though. Cranky prison wardens would probably grab it and throw it away.

(We've had a bug languishing in one of those stupid hotels prisons for months. Other bugs have come and gone during that time, but ours is apparently one of the less appealing ones, so it is doomed to always be one of the minimum four that must remain in the cache.)

In recent weeks, 2 TB hotels have been placed in my area and both have rules on them to keep a certain number of bugs in the cache at all times.

What would you do?

Perhaps they placed the Travel Bug Hotels with silly, unenforceable rules precisely because they are aware of your views on the matter. :lol:

I would trade as I saw fit.

I've been thinking about laminating a "Get Out of Jail Free" card from a Monopoly game and turning in into a travel bug.  Its mission would be for the current holder of the bug to go to a TB "Hotel" that has restrictive trading rules or minimum-number-of-bugs rules, and trade the get-out-of-jail TB for all of the hostages being held inside.

Whoa! That is spooky!

Say...I just had an idea for a TB: Auntie Weasel's Magic Key. When you put it in a TB hotel, you have to take out all the other TB's in the cache. I could use a laminated Monopoly Get Out Of Jail Free card.

Get out of my head, crab! I mean, ummm...great minds think alike.

I've been thinking about laminating a "Get Out of Jail Free" card from a Monopoly game and turning in into a travel bug.  Its mission would be for the current holder of the bug to go to a TB "Hotel" that has restrictive trading rules or minimum-number-of-bugs rules, and trade the get-out-of-jail TB for all of the hostages being held inside.

Whoa! That is spooky!

Say...I just had an idea for a TB: Auntie Weasel's Magic Key. When you put it in a TB hotel, you have to take out all the other TB's in the cache. I could use a laminated Monopoly Get Out Of Jail Free card.

Ooh, I wonder if I read that last year and it's been sitting on the back burner of my brain, and just recently moved up to the front burner now that our poor TB is trapped in a prison?

Probably -- I rarely have an original idea :lol:

Well, original or not, it's being done: I've got some unused tags; I've got a Monopoly game gathering dust somewhere; now to work...

edit, a few hours later: okay, it's done.

Edited by the hermit crabs

Whoa! That is spooky!

Ooh, I wonder if I read that last year and it's been sitting on the back burner of my brain, and just recently moved up to the front burner now that our poor TB is trapped in a prison?

Probably -- I rarely have an original idea :lol:

Well, original or not, it's being done: I've got some unused tags; I've got a Monopoly game gathering dust somewhere; now to work...

HAHAHAHA

This is prettty cool =)

I've been thinking about laminating a "Get Out of Jail Free" card from a Monopoly game and turning in into a travel bug. Its mission would be for the current holder of the bug to go to a TB "Hotel" that has restrictive trading rules or minimum-number-of-bugs rules, and trade the get-out-of-jail TB for all of the hostages being held inside.

Ha! I love it B).

What would you do?

I have read this thread and most posts make sense. I never looked at it as a bottleneck, but rather as a convenient place to pick up and drop TBs.

Like many other "Hotels", I had a request to keep the population up to encourage visits. However, I have edited that out and simply hope that cachers will utilize this hotel as intended.

If it's empty, so be it.

But if you're in the area, make a stop at the Old 146 TB Hotel.

B)

Whoa! That is spooky!

I am SO stealing this idea! B)

But if you're in the area, make a stop at the  Old 146 TB Hotel.

Hey, that one's been on my list! It's probably the closest hotel to me (not counting the one off I-95. Auntie knows better than to hang around interstate rest stops).

Hm, and the map say there's a couple new ones in the area. Perhaps I've just decided where I'm going this weekend B)

I hope it's also because you're attending this event!

But if you're in the area, make a stop at the  Old 146 TB Hotel.

Hey, that one's been on my list! It's probably the closest hotel to me (not counting the one off I-95. Auntie knows better than to hang around interstate rest stops).

Hm, and the map say there's a couple new ones in the area. Perhaps I've just decided where I'm going this weekend B)

I hope it's also because you're attending this event!

Well, I'll be dipped. See, that's what I get for not doing a new caches PQ from time to time...

This is a Travel Bug themed cache!

The rule is anyone can claim a find on the cache, but to take a TB you MUST leave a TB!

Please don't put anything into the cache other than TB's.

If you don't have a bug, feel free to sign the guest book and post your find.

The cache has 10 Bugs in it and it should stay stocked with 10 Bugs please!

I noticed that there are at least 5 travel bugs who have remained locked up in your cache "name omitted" Bug Hotel, for over 4 months. The issue of TB logging rules was discussed in this thread http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...90&hl=tb+prison , and the general consensus is they become TB prisons when rules are applied.

Posted by Jeremy (founder of Groundspeak, and Geocaching.com) "It's a silly rule. Travel bugs are meant to travel. Adding a restriction like trading them out doesn't make sense."

I thought this may be of interest to you.

My email, as well as pressure from other cachers worked. Here is the cache page today.

"(UPDATE: There has been a lot of whining about the rule of take a bug leave a bug, therefore we are changing the rules for the whiners. Take as many as you want, leave as many as you want) Please don't put anything into the cache other than TB's.If you don't have a bug, feel free to sign the guest book and post your find."

I think we bruised his "hoarding Tb" ego.

Awesome... thanks for your creativity! B)

As for Kit Fox's update about the TB hotel owner responding to our "whining"...

I've visited that particular TB hotel before. I actually enjoyed the convenient location and placement. I'm sure he intentionally picked the title - recommended listening for anyone not familiar with The Eagles' song. B)

Edited by budd-rdc

I just got the following email from one of the TB hotel owners.

Hello WH,

I just read the thread on TB rules and some of it makes sense.  I just

don't like the hoarders who come and grab all six bugs and leave none

for the next guy and then take six months to place them in caches.  I'll

revise the page, but I hope cachers will use some common sense and play

fair.

What would I do? The same thing you need to do! SHARE & PLAY FAIR! If you take a TB then you need to leave a TB. Be an adult.

So if I was on a trip, and I spied a TB in a cache I could actually get MUCH CLOSER TO IT'S GOAL, but I had no TB to trade...

...you want me to NOT take the TB I could have helped... for what reason again?

Explain this to me. B)

Edited by Sparrowhawk
What would I do? The same thing you need to do! SHARE & PLAY FAIR! If you take a TB then you need to leave a TB. Be an adult.

So if I was on a trip, and I spied a TB in a cache I could actually get MUCH CLOSER TO IT'S GOAL, but I had no TB to trade... you want me to NOT take the TB I could have helped... for what reason again? Explain this to me. B)

The selfishness of the cache owner wanting to ensure their hotel stays occupied. Having no regard for the wishes of the TB owners. B)

Edited by WH

Actually, moving a TB on regardless of leaving a TB is fair. It's fair to the TB, the TB owner, and those who are interested in the TB.

The TB hotel is for the convenience of the person moving the TB, not the ego of the TB hotel owner or as a convenience of someone who wants to bag a TB. You want to find a TB? Go find a regular cache that happens to have one in it.

'Nuff said.

Be an adult, hmmmm, be an adult.

I'm not sure what that has to do with moving travel bugs and hotel restrictions.

My adult brain thinks that Hotel restrictions are placed under the mis-guided concept that by limiting a bugs movement actually adds to the fun of geocaching.

My child brain says if you want a prize every time you open a box, stick with Captain Crunch.

Edited by BlueDeuce

This is ridiculous. Play fair? Fair to who? The travel bug owner would like their bug to attain its goal. If I can help a travel bug along I will take it. That being said, if i can't or don't know the goal I tend to leave them for others.

I own the Roach Motel off the I-495/I-95 exchange in MA.. Here's an exerpt from the updated cache page I just edited.. It was originally intented as a guideline more than a solid rule so that cachers dropping off bugs would at least be able to pick one up. It was NEVER intended to imprison them. Right now the rule I posted wasn't even adhered to (there's only 2 in there instead of 3 minimum), and it doesn't bother me. Just like swapping bugs. Also, I think it depends on where the cache is located for a hotel/motel.. If it is 0.5 miles into the woods or not near highways, then bugs may be trapped regardless of rules. B)

** UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT **

The Roach Motel strives to give your Travel Bugs the best possible stay. The minimum occupancy rule has been lifted to encourage the free exchange of bugs. If you can get a bug further along, the Roach Motel fully encourages it. The Motel likes having guests, so swapping or dropping is preferred. That way cachers dropping off bugs would at least be able to pick one up.

If I come upon a TB hotel and there were a few TB's in in, and I could help every one along, guess what, the TB's are in my pocket and on thier way. I would want one to do it for one of my TB's. It isnt for the cache owner to hold my TB hostage just because they want a specific number in the cache.

So how is a newbie to ever get to take a TB then? Must they first buy a tag to release their own?

Nah. At any typical cache, you can take one out without leaving any. It's just good to leave something in return.

Hopefully, the TB will have a description attached that states the goal (if any). If you can't fulfill that goal, you probably should leave it for someone that can.

Loved the get of of jail card tb, hope you don't mind but I'm going to have to copy it as there is a tb hotel a little ways from me that has that stupid leave one take one rule. I even have th tb tag already now just have to find a get out of jail free card, or a skeleton key. Maybe something along the lines of a master key or something I could call a set of lock pics.

Loved the get of of jail card tb, hope you don't mind but I'm going to have to copy it as there is a tb hotel a little ways from me that has that stupid leave one take one rule.

I don't mind a bit -- it would be great to have an army of these things out there ;) .

I released it today (today seemed fitting for it: it's Bastille Day, they day the French revolutionaries stormed the Bastille prison and let the inmates go).

Exactly. Take a bug, move it on, leave it in a cache when you are done. It balances out, and the beauty is you don't have to do both at the same time.

As for trading a bug for a bug at the time you take one. Travel bugs are not trade items.