Okay...i Want Color!

I know if I buy something that'd simply do for hiking, biking and geocaching, I'll eventually want something better. So I might as well jump in head first and get the goods now. Can I get you all to recommend a few good color units for the above mentioned activities so I can do the investigating and make a decision? Thanks all.

In my opinion, then just go with the Garmin GPSMap 76C or CS. Nice clean design (no awkward antenna sticking out of the top like the GPSMap 60C/S), Autorouting, Nice color screen, lots of memory (115mb) for downloading maps & waypoints etc, it floats, great battery life, lots of accessories- car mounts, handlebar mounts etc...

Needless to say I like mine.

Good luck... and have fun.

Edited by PhntmArcher

Koikeeper bought our first Garmin MAP 60C, and I bought our second MAP 60C. I like the bottom front button layout and how the unit fits my hand when I am walking with it. We have City Select N/A and use the unit for driving directions as well as caching. I like the antenna sticking out of mine and sometimes the cord with the external Gilsson antenna! We like ours! My friend loves his Ique3600 PDA, however he does very little geocaching with it. He uses it mainly for cross country motorcycling trips on his Goldwing. Find some caching friends and try a few different units out before you decide. :blink: ImpalaBob

You should give consideration to the Explorist 500 and 600. If expandable memory is important to you, that would be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd tend to favor the Garmin recommendations you've had so far, as they have better autorouting capabilities. (I don't know enough of the Lowarance to have an opinion on it).

I own a GSPmap 60C and love it. I would highly recommend it. In my experience it has lived up to all the hype in the gps community and then some. I however would like a model that included an SD card but for my normal use this is not needed as the 60C has 56megs of memory built in. I have never used a magellan but I would guess that they are fairly similar in capabilities. I think the best thing to do is to go to a gps function and try some different units out. Find what feels best and what has the features that are most important to you.

I know if I buy something that'd simply do for hiking, biking and geocaching, I'll eventually want something better. So I might as well jump in head first and get the goods now. Can I get you all to recommend a few good color units for the above mentioned activities so I can do the investigating and make a decision? Thanks all.

I've been extremely pleased with my 76C. Bought it for travelling, hiking, 'caching and fourwheeling. It works beautifully for all those purposes.

Just out of interest, I got Mapsource to collate all the street level detail maps (CitySelect 6) that would surround a route from Vancouver, British Columbia, down to the southern tip of Florida. It was a bit over 100MB which means that the 115MB of storage in my 76C is plenty for the task. Also bear in mind that the detailed built-in base maps already contain all the major highways so adding street level detail maps for your entire route isn't at all necessary.

In short, external card support would be nice but it's not needed. The colour screen of my 76C is a joy to use, the interface is great, and the unit has been 100% reliable even in severe conditions (dust and mud from fourwheeling, rain and snow from 'caching in the winter).

(The 60C/CS has the same hardware/software but half the memory and [imo] it looks nicer.)

GeoBC

Price drop on Legend C has started too! Before the $50.00 rebate ended July 5th, prices were around $290.00 at GPSNOW and Tiger GPS. Now they are around

$252.00.

This happens to me every time. The credit card bill hasn't even arrived for my Legend C, and the price is dropped. I think I must have some spyware on my pc that notifies manufacturers when I've bought their products so they can immediately lower the price. ;)

Well, I'm happy for you all, if you haven't yet made your purchasing decision. :D