Resort Activity . . . Geocaching.

zul

Has anyone ever herd of a resort offering this as an activity? If so, which resorts? I am tempting to set it up at the resort I work at.

I love America, hate the Liability attached. Any ideas as to how I can reduce liability??

zul

Canaan Valley Resort State Park in West Virginia has set up a geocaching program. I don't think it's the park system that has the geocaching set up, I think it's actually the company that runs the resort. (But WVState Parks is supportive of geocaching too)

The resort has set up five or six caches on their property, open to everyone.

And then, they have their weekend packages, where you get a room in the lodge, bike rental, just various weekend stuff, and they've added GPS rental for geocaching to one of those packages..

Found the info:

Geocaching - the sport where you are the search engine. Geocaching is an entertaining adventure game for gps users. Participating in a cache hunt is a good way to take advantage of the wonderful features and capability of a gps unit. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up caches all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the internet. GPS users can then use the location coordinates to find the caches. Once found, a cache may provide the visitor with a wide variety of rewards. All the visitor is asked to do is if they get something they should try to leave something for the cache.

GPS System Rentals (Available Year Round)              Half Day  $8.00    Full Day  $12.00

They have the GPS rental available as a standalone and as several different "Family fun" type packages.

Canaan Valley Resort

Edited by TeamK-9

Regarding liability, businesses sell skydiving, river rafting, and lots of other types of trips that are dangerous where the participants assume some risk. I don't see why geocaching would be different. Just make sure your waiver will hold up in your jurisdiction--have it reviewed by a lawyer. Make sure your cache's are also easy, the coords are given accurately and that your clientele understand that they shouldn't have to be able to climb Everest to get to any cache. However, I'm no lawyer. I think your first mistake was seeking legal liability advice from a message board. Hopefully, you'll get going in the right direction and get something started at your resort. Good luck.

I would not consider seeking advice from this board a mistake. Great information has been gained from each post, yours included. This message board is a very valuable resource and Thank You All for the helpful responses.

zul

However, I'm no lawyer.

And yet, I know of at least two cachers - who are both active in the forums - who are lawyers, so the OP wasn't too far off by asking questions in here.

Lawyers normally do not provide legal device through forum topics. The ones here either avoid these kinds of topics or add disclaimers that it isn't legal advice.

Insurance can be had for everything. Call around for quotes.

It can't be much different than other recreational packages. A resort that offers recreation likely already has things in place like insurance and an attorney to read/draft disclaimers if needed.

Disclaimer: I am not providing legal services. I am simply giving a minimum amount of personal opinion and minimally helpful comments. B)

Stocking your cache with cute, furry hamsters goes a long way towards insulating the landowner / activity operator from liability. A statistical analysis published in Mealey's Verdict Reporter, a leading legal trade journal, concluded that the presence of cuddly bundles of fluffy hamster joy mitigated emotional distress recoveries and punitive damage awards by factors approaching 50%.

Disclaimer: I am not providing legal services. I am simply pimping my signature item.

Stocking your cache with cute, furry hamsters goes a long way towards insulating the landowner / activity operator from liability.  A statistical analysis published in Mealey's Verdict Reporter, a leading legal trade journal, concluded that the presence of cuddly bundles of fluffy hamster joy mitigated emotional distress recoveries and punitive damage awards by factors approaching 50%. 

Disclaimer: I am not providing legal services. I am simply pimping my signature item.

B)B):mad:

Disclaimer: No lawyer type people advice/services here!

Edited by carleenp