Feature Request: Fun Factor Rating

knowschad

I would love to see a 3rd rating criteria that rated the creativity, cleverness, overall "fun factor" of a cache. Possibly this could actually be voted on by the finders when they log their find, possibly just by the cache owner or the approver.

This would be a rating of how much thought went into creating and/or placing the cache, not the quality of the swag, not a way to vote against, say, micros, because you happen to not like them, etc.

I really think that this could serve to improve the quality of caches overall. I mean, who'd want to place a cache with a Fun Factor of 1 star? For that matter, who would want to go looking for it.

I just placed a magnet key holder on the back of the stop sign. It took me SIX WEEKS to think about just how to do it. (serious thought went into creating this)

It looks EXACTLY like a magnet! Isn't that clever????

And the intersection is right outside an aiport and police station, so you're ASSURED to be stopped and questioned when trying to retrieve this one....AWESOME FUN!!!!

Since I took so long to make this one...and I have NEVER seen one like this, I'm going to give myself a fun factor of FIVE STARS!!!! ***** !!!!

This is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!

edit for typos..again...do I get another fun factor star for spending extra time on this post???

Edited by KoosKoos
I just placed a magnet key holder on the back of the stop sign. It too me SIX WEEKS to think about just how to do it. (serious thought went into creating this)

It looks EXACTLY like a magnet! Isn't that clever????

And the intersection is right outside an aiport and police station, so you're ASSURED to be stopped and questioned when trying to retrieve this one....AWESOME FUN!!!!

Since I took so long to make this one...and I have NEVER seen one like this, I'm going to give myself a fun factor of FIVE STARS!!!! ***** !!!!

This is a FANTASTIC idea!!!!!

your perspicacity is only exceeded by your wit and irony -

cc\

Personally, I don't consider a "clever" or "creative" hide to be fun. Possibly because most of them involve spending a great deal of time in an area that is easily visible to the general public.

I like the traditional "box of stuff in the woods" cache. To me the fun is in seeing what else is out there. Did you ever watch a hawk chase a Kingfisher up and down a river? Did you ever have a Golden-crowned Kinglet singing from a branch about five feet away? Or be the first person this year to spot a Spring Beauty?

So the problem would be defining "fun" in a way that everyone would agree.

It can't be done.

Sorry.

Edited by RichardMoore
I really think that this could serve to improve the quality of caches overall.  I mean, who'd want to place a cache with a Fun Factor of 1 star?  For that matter, who would want to go looking for it.

I don't particularly like micros.

I've tried it and don't like locationless caches.

I don't like extremely devious hides.

I don't like caches that require super stealth.

I don't like lamp pole base caches.

I don't like park and grab caches.

I don't like drive-by virts.

I like long hikes.

I like ammo boxes in the woods.

I like caches big enough to hold trade goods and TB's.

I like well thought out virtual caches.

However, I'll hunt most caches because I like the hobby.

I'm sure someone out there has the exact opposite opinion and thinks I'm nuts. It's very likely you and I will have very different ideas of fun. Then most caches will end up with an average rating of 3 stars. Then we'll need a 4th rating to sort out the 3rd since the 3rd will have become useless.

It reminds me of the Dr. Seuss book where the creatures get stars on their bellies.

EDIT: typo and clarification

Edited by Runaround

That is exactly why I suggested making it a rating voted on by the finders.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Sorry I suggested it.

Edited by knowschad

That is exactly why I suggested making it a rating voted on by the finders.

Thanks for the sarcasm. Sorry I suggested it.

As BlueDeuce aluded to this horse has been beaten to death numerous times. Near the top of each forum page there is a search link. This board has posts going back many years (four, maybe even five). Try searching on a few key words before you post and take a look at what pops up. Not that there anything wrong in re-revisiting a dead horse, it reminds us why we killed him in the first place.

Thanks for rephrasing that, Glenn. That was a much more mature and polite way of stating the case that KoosKoos' and others attempts. I'm new to this forum, awfully new to geocaching, and that sort of browbeating response doesn't make a new person feel very welcome. I was merely trying to make a helpful suggestion and don't expect to be jumped on for trying to help.

Edited by knowschad