.loc Files In Garmin Mapsource Products

BGunner01

This is probably a dumb question for those familiar with it, but I haven't been able to solve it…

After downloading and saving a batch of cache location files (in .LOC or .GPX format) into either EasyGPS or GSAK, is there a way to open the files directly with a Garmin MapSource product such as City Select or MetroGuide? The way I presently have to do it is to save all the files into my GPSR and then use City Select to "receive (open)" the files from my GPSR. Don't know if it's pertinent or not, but I use a Garmin GPSMap 60C.

It would seem me that there is a way somewhere out there for City Select to recognize and open the files directly from EasyGPS or GSAK without having to transfer them through my GPS receiver.

Would greatly appreciate any advice anyone might offer.

Thanks!

GSAK will export a set of waypoints directly to MapSource and open MapSource in the process, displaying the results. Go to File>Export and choose "Mapsource MPS file". Check the box to open MapSource.

Recent versions of MapSource can also open a GPX file directly. I don't have the software on this PC, but it's under the file menu, either open, load, import or something like that, then choose GPX. Threfore, you can open a downloaded GPX file directly in MapSource, but I don't know why you would want to, since you lose GSAK's ability to group, sort, filter and rename waypoints!

PS - since you're a premium member, you might want to check on Pocket Queries at geocaching.com. You can specify criteria and have a single GPX file emailed to you that contains up to 500 waypoints. Much easier than downloading them one at a time! :blink:

PPS - there's a GSAK thread in these forums where you can ask GSAK specific questions and learn a lot about the program - it's amazing what it can do!

Edited by Kai Team