Positive Article On Geocaching

My local power company has a positive article on Geocaching as a way to encourage tourism to small towns. Unfortunately the webside does not yet have the July edition on line. Texas Co-op Power. The gist of the article is that geocaches set up by local chambers of commerce can bring tourists to areas that might go unnoticed and bring a few more dollars into an area. One of the people quoted states,"...geocaching as a tourism strategy may be ahead of its time, but she believes any town that dismisses it is 'missing the boat.' "

I scanned the article into a PDF, but don't have anyway to post it here. If anyone has a suggestion, I'll be glad to do what I can to make this available. kfcthecolonel.

That's awesome . Someone recently mentioned a similar situation somewhere in Northern California, where the local community actually listed geocaching as a tourist attraction on their website. It's always great to hear about positive responses to geocaching vs. just the negative ones (i.e.; mistaken for bomb, criminals geocaching, etc). Thanks for posting the news. :blink:

One of my customers brought that Texas Co-op article to me one day and said "Hey! Isn't this that thing you do with the GPS?!"

Having heard about geocaching from me, and then seeing it in the magazine, they were even more excited about it. I'm going to have to start a community geocaching club pretty soon!

:blink:

That's awesome . Someone recently mentioned a similar situation somewhere in Northern California, where the local community actually listed geocaching as a tourist attraction on their website. It's always great to hear about positive responses to geocaching vs. just the negative ones (i.e.; mistaken for bomb, criminals geocaching, etc). Thanks for posting the news.  :blink:

I read that article. That somewhere is Quincy, California, part of the Feather River Canyon between Oroville and Portola.

If you are a railfan, then this is a MUST visit detour between Sacramento and Reno, NV.

It's great to see small towns taking advantage of Geocaching to help shore up their local businesses. I enjoy visiting small stores and restaurants, where Wal-Mart or McDonald's is not an option. :ph34r:

Alchemist, thanks for finding this link.

As for why the Power Co is promoting Geocaching? Same reason they are promoting Chili Peppers and Wildflowers. Us Texans are interested in these things and it makes us feel good about our Power company if they share these articles with us. June's issues has an article on Texas peaches.

Anyone care to explain to me why a power company is at all interested in promoting geocaching?

Actually, I posted the same article here a couple of weeks ago...if you read their magazine, 90% of it is family activites, recipies, and general information.

It's a power co-operative. Owned by all of the customers they service and the magazine reflects as much general interest stories as it does "business"-related items.