Explorist 600 Is It Worth It?

I have a magellan Meridian Gold with 1 Gig Sd card ad all topo and street map software. I have never had a problem with this unit, but I am considering an upgrade. I do not want to buy new software if I can avoid it.

So, I would like some opinions from my fellow Geo Cachers.

Is it worth the price tag or not? and Why?

Thanks,

Theharvester42

I too have been considering an upgrade of my MeriPlat to the eX 600. I have decided to wait for now. Wait for some firmware releases and or new product line with different battery options. I hear more grumblings than is comfortable for me to make the switch. Kind of like considering to upgrade an operating system, especially from Micro$oft. Wait for a service pack (firmware for GPSr) update or two before jumping in.

Just my $0.02

If one has the patience to wait things out, you can benefit from price drops and smoothing out the startup bumps. So Paul's strategy/attitude is a smart one.

I was driven a bit more by the emotional side. I was fairly happy with my Meridian Platinum, but I was craving color. I consider myself reasonably satisfied with my decision to buy a 500 (availability and price led me to forgo the compass on the 600).

The 4/5/600 essentially have the same interface as the Meridians. A few features/aspects of note:

On the plus side -

Great color display with sharper resolution

Smaller form factor

8MB internal memory functions like an SD card (i.e., store files here)

Hierarchal file structure allows for organization of stored files

Geocache POIs allow separate POI sets from regular POIs

I *like* the rechargeable Li-Ion battery

The firmware seems reasonably stable

Accuracy comparable to Meridian; no "boomerang effect" observed

Internal USB communication (no reader needed)

On the minus side -

Fewer screens than Meridian, I miss some of the options

Geocaching POIs are only halfway there (incomplete data display, can't delete)

Limited accessory availability (e.g., no RAM mount yet)

Firmware *too much* like Meridian

200 comment limit still there

missed opportunity for creative features found in Garmin line

Although I could use DirectRoute, had to upgrade Topo USA to Topo3D

There are other things, but that's all I can think of right now. I think it comes down to where your scales tip. I figure that with the hardware reasonably reliable, one may as well enjoy the plusses now in the expectation that the software side will catch up--but that depends upon your confidence in Magellan doing so...I confess that my confidence in that has diinished watching Meridian firmware support over the last year. If Garmin comes out with a rumored SD-capable handheld toward the end of the year *and* Magellan hasn't satisfactorly addressed user concerns, I may well jump ship.

I had the na sportrak color when I upgraded to the ex600. now I look back and wish I knew then what I know now. if your unit works now and your happy with it ,stick with it until some updates come out for the ex600 such as firmware. the color screen is really a nice addition. the pc connection is great and fast.

as noted above there are fewer customizable screens on the explorist then the other units.

good luck with your decison.

flir67-

If Garmin comes out with a rumored SD-capable handheld toward the end of the year *and* Magellan hasn't satisfactorly addressed user concerns, I may well jump ship.

I've thought about that also, the future will tell.

Edited by flir67

I have had my Explorist 500 sence the first week they were out, I also own a Meridian Gold and a Sport track Color (I lost my sport track map)

I like the explorist for the same reasons Embra listed, while the explorist does not have as many screens the screens it does not hae are ones the I never used much anyway so those I do not care about.

The Hierarchal file structure I really like as well as the seperate file system for geocaches, while they cannot be edited this is a feature I do not think I would ever need.

I did not opt for the 600 because I do not have a need for a magnetic compass, I already own about 6 real compasses and I have a Suunto watch with an Altimeter-Barometer and compass already.

As far as different battery options that Podunk paul brings up, there is one, there is another thread regarding a Motorola cell battery that works in the Explorist 400,500 and 600. I have not bought one because for me 14 hours is more time that I will ever need for a day or two of geocaching.

I run Map send topo in my explorist and Direct route in my meridian gold, the Meridan lives on my dash and gets me to the cache area then I use the explorist 500 to find the cache.

If Garmin comes out with a rumored SD-capable handheld toward the end of the year *and* Magellan hasn't satisfactorly addressed user concerns, I may well jump ship.

I am also waiting to see what happens along those lines... I really do like the overall appearance and screens the 60CS has. Have had the chance to play with one and liked it, but the lack of SD memory is a deal breaker, for me, right now.

I have a magellan Meridian Gold with 1 Gig Sd card ad all topo and street map software. I have never had a problem with this unit, but I am considering an upgrade. I do not want to buy new software if I can avoid it.

I thought the Explorists were unable to use the Meridian software(?)

I thought the Explorists were unable to use the Meridian software(?)

I already had MapSend DirectRoute and MapSend Topo 3D for my STColor and my Plat. They both work with my eXp600.

--Marky

For a variety of reasons already adrressed here, the Meri-Gold is quite possibly the single best GPSr for geocaching. It has its downsides, specifically the size of the unit and the fact that it is monochrome, but is otherwise perfectly suited for 'caching.

I lost mine Here, and replaced it with an eXplorist 600. I am reasonably happy with the unit, as I got it on sale for $305.00 through Harmony Computers June Specials, but it has had a few hiccups along the way.

If you have a Gold that works well, keep it until Magellan fixes all the problems with the eXplorist series.

The only thing you would consider with the eXplorist 500/600 is the color screen and SD card expansion capability. I just sold off mine becuase I have Garmin VistaC. Garmin VistaC is limited to the memory but I can easily use any regular or rechargeable AA batteries whereever I go. eXplorist street routing is not as good as the Garmin Vista (this is just my opinion, others may thing I'm wrong).

Since I am not going far in between the places, the 25MB with Vista is enough.

I had the eXplorist as a backup unit only until I needed cash so I sold it.

The the eXplorist 400/500/600 has four page screens and the other are just sub-option from the screen. You can manage Geocache/Waypoints efficiently by just loading the waypoint-file. You can also load detailed maps by simply loading the ones that you need in the area. Thats the cool feature for it but nothing really fancy as compared to VistaC.

I guess you cannot have it all.

I hope this helps.

:blink:

After being a long time garmin user I bought a exporist 600. Had I to do it again I would have bought a 60cs. The SD card isn't as much a cool feature as I thought it would be mostly because I refuse to shell out the money for the maps. Lack of routing on the unit and its drawbacks in geocache mode have crippled those features. I also have many other smaller gripes.

I would gladly trade it in plus the difference in cash to get a 60cs if I could.

I can easily use any regular or rechargeable AA batteries whereever I go.

Since I am not going far in between the places, the 25MB with Vista is enough.

What is it you didn't like about the rechargeable battery in the Explorist?

Jamie

I've got a question to the ones who own a Meridian/SporTrak and an Explorist and use it together with the 3D-Topo-Map (USA oder elsewhere):

Using 3D-Topo Germany on a Platinum is disgusting, the untit gets so slow, 10-15s of display refreshing time. You can use it for hiking, if you are slow.

If you switch off Topographic info while generating the map, the unit is behaving normally, the usual 1s refresh.

This is a good compromise, because the amount of trails, paths, creeks are really helpfull.

Now back to my question: Do you have a similar observation? And how does the explorist behave in respect of display update? What about the speed of the unit compared to the older units?

Using 3D-Topo Germany on a Platinum is disgusting, the untit gets so slow, 10-15s of display refreshing time.

I have never run into that with Topo 3D and my Paltinum, I am using US version. What firmware version are you using? Map sizes on my SD card are about 120 Megabytes.

I have never run into that with Topo 3D and my Paltinum, I am using US version. What firmware version are you using?

I am using 5.40, I tried it with different Mapsizes, just a 1MB-region or 56Mbyte, no difference. Only switching off the topographic infos brought relief.

Once I used the old Mapsend Topo USA when I was over there - it ran smoothly on my unit

I am using 5.40, I tried it with different Mapsizes, just a 1MB-region or 56Mbyte, no difference. Only switching off the topographic infos brought relief.

Once I used the old Mapsend Topo USA when I was over there - it ran smoothly on my unit

Ok, I am using 5.35. Not sure if that is, or could be, part of the issue. I know for DirectRoute 2 there was a bug that required 5.40.

I wish I had an answer for you. Did you ever run Topo 3D on 5.35? Just curious.

Jamie Z,

I drive around a lot and sometimes really long drive and am afraid that if I ran out of battery juice, i'm done with it. But I guess it won't happen becuase sooner or later you have to stop somewhere and you probably be able to charge it up.

But remember the eXplorist claim that each charge would last for 14hours. But if you are driving, you may wanted to turn on the backlight and it would only last for maybe 8-hours plus/minus.

Its just probably me being a paranoia for if you see that battery bar so low, you'll get into a panic stage. :ph34r:

Having extra battery on hand gives you the secure feeling.. you know what I mean... :blink:

eXplorist extra battery will cost maybe about $30 depending where you buys them.

I drive around a lot and sometimes really long drive and am afraid that if I ran out of battery juice, i'm done with it. But I guess it won't happen becuase sooner or later you have to stop somewhere and you probably be able to charge it up.

eXplorist extra battery will cost maybe about $30 depending where you buys them.

You can easily power and charge the Explorist in your car. An inexpensive plug (much cheaper than a dedicated GPS power cord) will allow you to plug in your USB cable.

Also, aftermarket spare batteries have been seen for $8.

Yes, the Explorist has a number of faults, but I can't find a fault with the rechargeable battery.

Jamie

Yes, the Explorist has a number of faults, but I can't find a fault with the rechargeable battery.

I don't think the rechargable would be so bad for most of us casual cachers and even some of the hard core cachers. I have heard a number of people talk about multiple day treks and how to charge. Sure, other solutions were offered, usually requiring carrying more hardware.

Personally, I have a great 15 minute rapid charger for my 2500 mAh NIMH AA batteries. I have gone as high as 16 hours without needing a recharge. Four AA batteries, fully charged, ready to go in 15 minutes time.

I don't think the rechargable would be so bad for most of us casual cachers and even some of the hard core cachers. I have heard a number of people talk about multiple day treks and how to charge. Sure, other solutions were offered, usually requiring carrying more hardware.

Here's my response to that:

I will be leaving in a week on a 2-month expedition on the Danube River through Eastern Europe. My team is unsure how often we will have power availability.

Another guy on the team saw the Explorist and the battery, and immediately discarded the idea. Instead, he is bringing a Meridian, and a bunch of spare AA batteries.

I plan to take my Explorist and a bunch of spare AA batteries inside a USB battery box from which I can recharge the Explorist.

Not much difference.

I admit. I've not done the trip, so I don't know how well our respective setups will work... but when I was in China last year, I know it was a hassle carrying several sets of rechargeable AA batteries and a battery charger. Then we had to make sure we could find a place to plug the charger in. Talk about "more hardware"?

Again, the longer I own the Explorist, the more I realize that the battery is much more convenient than having to worry about extra batteries.

Jamie

I plan to take my Explorist and a bunch of spare AA batteries inside a USB battery box from which I can recharge the Explorist.

Yeah, we could split hairs and opinions all day about whose method is best. Does it really matter? No, if it works for you, cool, do it :blink: Personally, if i was on a trip, the battery charger would stay at home and i'd rough it on alkaline AA's for the duration.

I hope to here how the USB battery box worked out for you on your trip! Sounds fun!

This has given me much food for thought...after reading posted feedback and pros and cons, I have decided that i am still undecided.

As for now, my meridian Gold has not let me down in any situation, so I will hang on to it and most likely wait for revisions and price drop on Explorist 600.

Thanks to all who have responded to this posting.

I would like for Magellan to view responses maybe this will get them moving on apparent problems and come up with fixes.

I doubt it....

Theharvester42

what is the 200 comment limit?

Does that mean that any single POI file can only have 200 waypoints with comments?

That's pretty much it: for regular POI files, you can have as many as 500 POIs, but only 200 of them can have comments. DirectRoute needs some of those comments to give turn information in street routes, so if they are all taken you end up missing some of the otherwise provided information.

For Geocache POIs, you are limited to 200 POIs per file. In both POI situations, of course, you can have as many files as you would like on the SD card.

Well I've been without my 600 now for two weeks as the unit just up and died at the start of a geocaching day for me. I'm back using an eTrex Legend.

I really really really miss my 600. That little fella can really sniff out the caches.

Magnetic compass is definately worth it -- the "weather things" on the other hand.... I've never seen an accurate temperatue from mine. I'm convinced I could throw it in the freezer for an hour and get it to report 30C on that screen.

<rant>

We'll see how it works when I get it back. Have I mentioned that I'm a little peeved about covering shipping costs to a repair centre for something that's not even three months old yet?</rant>