Underwater Caches

kathleene

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried an underwater cache. Since most caches are waterproof anyway (i.e. tupperware), I figure it would be fun to sink one in one of our many lakes and slow rivers. Of course, there are precautions regarding wildlife, and then making sure the cace is anchored at a height that someone else can reach it, but that boat motors, etc won't get tangled. Any comments?

There are several underwater caches. Some anchored where you can fish them out from the shore, some under a boardwalk, some in places you need scuba to get them.

It seems that the hardest part of placing an underwater cache is finding a container that remains waterproof when placed under water constantly. Tupperware defiantly won't work. Ammo cans work well, pelican containers also have been known to work.

Also you have to worry about finders resealing them correctly.

Since most caches are waterproof anyway (i.e. tupperware), I figure it would be fun to sink one in one of our many lakes and slow rivers.

Be careful with what you assume to be waterproof. Something with a tuperware style lid would be fine for a short duration in shallow water but it won't hold up as well over the long haul and won't work very well at all at any significant (10'+) depth. You may want to consider something with a more rigid lid. Those with a screw-on lid with a bit of a rubber seal at the top should work well even for SCUBA depths.

Been thinking about doing the samething. Im new to this, acctually just started two days ago, but have already found five caches. Im working on three caches right now that will be dry, but as soon as im done with those im going to go for the underwater cache. Im thinking maybe a Ball or Mason jar with pipe insolation around it. Or something along those lines. Any feed back would be appriciated. Let me know what you find out Kathleene. Good luck!

Been thinking about doing the samething. Im new to this, acctually just started two days ago, but have already found five caches. Im working on three caches right now that will be dry, but as soon as im done with those im going to go for the underwater cache. Im thinking maybe a Ball or Mason jar with pipe insolation around it. Or something along those lines. Any feed back would be appriciated. Let me know what you find out Kathleene. Good luck!

Been thinking about doing the samething. Im new to this, acctually just started two days ago, but have already found five caches. Im working on three caches right now that will be dry, but as soon as im done with those im going to go for the underwater cache. Or something along those lines. Any feed back would be appriciated. Let me know what you find out Kathleene. Good luck!

Glass is not a good idea for a cache. But maybe a lexon jar would work better for you.

Just wondering if anyone has ever tried an underwater cache. Since most caches are waterproof anyway (i.e. tupperware), I figure it would be fun to sink one in one of our many lakes and slow rivers. Of course, there are precautions regarding wildlife, and then making sure the cace is anchored at a height that someone else can reach it, but that boat motors, etc won't get tangled. Any comments?

I would NOT rely on tupperware or even an ammobox being water PROOF. If you really want to do use a nalgen bottle or if your independently rich a pelican box but NOT tupperware or ammobox etc.....

There are underwater caches I have dove on one in Colorado, the ammobox was full of water. So think about what you want for a container.

cheers

An ammo box might not be waterproof, but it has a better chance than tupperware. However, there's nothing to prevent you from sealing the contents in additional layers of water-resistant barriers. Enough hulls resistant membranes layered between the water and the contents would make even tupperware water proof.

If it's deep enough water, I've often seen people suggest having the cache attached to a weight with a quick release mechanism. That way divers can take the cache up for examination, trade items out, seal everything back up, and re-attach it without too much problem.

bdacf65c-26d9-449f-8ded-21fd10e10768.jpg