Most Dnf's For A Cache?

I would have to nominate pure evil in Franklin, TN .. The cache owner can't even find it at times. Like yesterday.. We had about 25 people looking including the cache owner and we didn't find it. We'll ok there were about 5 people looking and 20 people saying maybe it was over there a little bit farther :blink:

It depends on how long the owner whose cache has been muggled ignores the DNF's that rack up on the cache site page. You can accumulate quite a few before everyone realizes it isn't there anymore. A more legitimate question would be "For a cache that is actually there, how many DNF's.....

I would have to nominate pure evil in Franklin, TN .. The cache owner can't even find it at times. Like yesterday.. We had about 25 people looking including the cache owner and we didn't find it. We'll ok there were about 5 people looking and 20 people saying maybe it was over there a little bit farther :blink:

Sounds like fun!

One of my caches took me 10 minutes to find since it was 4 feet under water. So far it has 10 DNF's and 7 finds since it was placed on April 30th.

Pure Evil, as mentioned above, is purely evil! I had the pleasure of watching that group look, in fact three groups comprised of 30+ people looked and for a LONG time, and all DNF it. Since the owner was among them it may or may not be gone - there's such a thing as being TOO well-hidden!

Joefrog's "Go Nuts" would be a competitor in the DNF category - I have gone to it ten times now with different groups, replaced it for him twice, once when it was missing and once when wet, yet three times I went I could not find it! It's there, just mean! He gets notes on a weekly basis that it's gone - it's not.

I have a cache here in Birmingham, Rambler's Only Micro, that runs about 75/25 on cachers that need clues and those who find it on their own.

Here in the South many of us LOVE evil micros, gently competing with one another to make 'em hard to find (a wasp nest, complete with wasps glued on, the cache log in a teensy-tiny container in one of the holes - yeah, baby!).

I don't think you can measure the most DNFs, because they aren't all logged.

DrFred has one here, UAB Micro #1, that was running about one find for every ten or twelve searches (among known searches by our geocaching community, may have been more DNFs we don't know about) and was for a while the hardest cache in the state (wide-open in plain sight, by a sidewalk in a city park!).

Please hiders, make a note that your cache is an evil hide, not meant to be easily found, both to avoid complaints that "it's not there", Reviewers getting SBAs they have to waste time on, and to allow folks that don't like evil micros to ignore it!

I'm glad you explain that a bit, because personally, I just don't get the "evil hide" idea. :D

I have to drive too far to return to a cache again and again. I don't find searching for something that seems invisible, or missing, to be fun at all . . . :o

I like to search for a cache in a new location I've never seen before . . . and find the cache after that search . . . :lol:

your never know as not all DNFs are logged.  So it is like asking how long is a piece of string?

cheers

Yes, but do you think all cache FINDS are logged?? Obviously, I'm referring to online logs. Only a small minority of us refuse to log DNFs.

LOL well I guess folks are differant in your neck of the woods. It is very typically to not log a DNF here. I get lots of log with "it took 4 tries to find this one", but NOT one DNF was posted. So I guess it is still IMPOSSIBLE to tell.

cheers

Tall Stumps gets missed way more than it gets found. I count 26 finds out of 63 logs. The problem is that the cacher who owns it is inactive and it has been archived once already. They unarchived it because a former finder says she found it where it is and no one else has found it since. The cache is in a redwood grove with zero reception. When I found it the only way I found it was to leave the gps in the car and start rooting around the campground. When I saw a single spot not rototilled around the stumps I knew it was there.

one ugly one here in NV is "Just how Evil Am I?" the cache is not near the co-ordinates, is where it says it isn't and generally is a pain in the butt to find. I was there 11 times before I finally found it. My coworker was there 14. Owner took a small pill bottle and "silly coned" it to the bottom of a rock. the rock is the only one in plain view and is in a place that you would automatically assume is not possible for the cache. I now crave the trouble of these types of caches. Tiny brain enjoys the big challenges. Good topic!

Personally, I detest the idea of recognizing hides with the most DNFs. It's just too easy for someone to come up with a hide style that's mean-spirited to make this happen.

The best evil hides are ones that are creative, like requiring on-the-spot thinking, having an awesome camouflage, utilizing optical illusion resourcefully, etc.

You WANT people to evetually find your cache, and hopefully with that "AHA!" feeling at the end. It's NOT about the ANGER of the find. B)

LOL well I guess folks are differant in your neck of the woods. It is very typically to not log a DNF here. I get lots of log with "it took 4 tries to find this one", but NOT one DNF was posted. So I guess it is still IMPOSSIBLE to tell.

cheers

Don't forget the people who post notes instead of DNFs. Oops, but I guess that's another topic.

Personally, I detest the idea of recognizing hides with the most DNFs. It's just too easy for someone to come up with a hide style that's mean-spirited to make this happen.

The best evil hides are ones that are creative, like requiring on-the-spot thinking, having an awesome camouflage, utilizing optical illusion resourcefully, etc.

You WANT people to evetually find your cache, and hopefully with that "AHA!" feeling at the end. It's NOT about the ANGER of the find. B)

I don't really see the problem with the toughies. I'm obviously not going to attempt one on a road trip unless I have plenty of time and no other places to go. But, for those who live in the area or who do have the time they're great.

It's just a matter of reading the logs and understanding the difficulty level before you head out.