Log As Found, Your Own Cache Hides?

How can you "find it" if you already know where it is? Some people do it, but its not considered by most to be acceptable.

You say you can "use the stats". For what? To impress the ladies? I think you'll feel better about your stats in the end if you know your finds are legit.

Edited by briansnat

I guess it looks like there's no official answer. I don't usually log my own caches, but I can see why it would be useful to do so in some cases.

For instance, some areas have few active geocachers, and caches are often plundered/stolen (Mexico City is a good example). Verifying that your cache is still there, and logging a "find", is a good way of saying "hey people, it's still there, get out there and look for it! :D"

I know of a couple of geocachers for whom almost all of their caches have been stolen, so they're understandably frustrated - they figure "why go out and look for that cache, it's probably not there anyway". Logging "finds", even if they're you're own, helps keep the flame going. regards -Ricardo

The placement stat is enough for me.

The fact that other people want a count for the placement and find (or the attending) really doesn't concern me, at least not enough to complain. I just don't understand what I would gain by logging my own cache.

The loss? My own personal pride.

Are you supposed to log a "Found It" for each of the caches you have placed? I got asked this the other day, and didn't know an official answer. I never have logged any of my own hides as found, although I could use the stats.

An alarm won't go off or anything, but its usually considered bad form. As briansnat said, how can you find it if you know where it?

I guess it looks like there's no official answer. I don't usually log my own caches, but I can see why it would be useful to do so in some cases.

For instance, some areas have few active geocachers, and caches are often plundered/stolen (Mexico City is a good example). Verifying that your cache is still there, and logging a "find", is a good way of saying "hey people, it's still there, get out there and look for it! :D"

I know of a couple of geocachers for whom almost all of their caches have been stolen, so they're understandably frustrated - they figure "why go out and look for that cache, it's probably not there anyway". Logging "finds", even if they're you're own, helps keep the flame going. regards -Ricardo

The cache owner can log their visit as a "Note" not a "Find." I think it is very poor form to log a find on your own cache

. . . unless as some people have reported, their own cache "migrated" and it took them half an hour to find it. :D

...some areas have few active geocachers, and caches are often plundered/stolen (Mexico City is a good example). Verifying that your cache is still there, and logging a "find", is a good way of saying "hey people, it's still there, get out there and look for it! :D"

Ok, but writing a note to say it is still there will be just as good and not inflate your stats.. unless of course you want to inflate your stats...

Okay, what if you placed a cache deep in the woods and forgot to mark the coordinates? If you found it that is an accomplishment.

But isn't it also an accomplishment to find a 5/5 cache? You only get one smilie for that, don't you?

It doesn't matter how much work you put into it, each cache is worth one point on your stat record. That point can be either for hiding it or finding it, not both. Doesn't matter if it's an event or if the cache moved since you last checked on it.

The loss? My own personal pride.

And despite rumors to the contrary, you can not buy or sell your pride at the Mercantile Exchange. :D

I've seen people do it for various reasons, and I have no problems with that. I haven't seen people do it blatantly JUST to increase their find count - that's beyond stupid. :D

Even if my own caches got dislocated and I had to "find" it again, I would not post a find. I would, however, post an interesting note to share the adventure with others.

P.S. I see a lot of "what if?" type questions lately, with people bringing up various exceptions to the rule. My advice: keep it simple, or drown from your own loopholes. :D

Edited by budd-rdc

I didn't know you could log your own caches as found. I thought such ability would've been prohibited by the website's code somewhere. Figured the Found It! choice wouldn't be an option for a user if they are posting a log for their own cache. Perhaps a change is in order?

I dont think one should log their own caches as finds, other than events. Your planning the event but you havent been to it before and you will go and attend. Thats different than hiding a cache.

I agree with geognerd, I think it should be impossible to log your own cache.

It's like signing your guestbook at your own wedding! Of course you were there!!!

I dont think one should log their own caches as finds, other than events. Your planning the event but you havent been to it before and you will go and attend. Thats different than hiding a cache.

I can either host an event or attend the event. Either way I'm there, but I don't get credit for doing both. One hide or one find for each cache.

I didn't know you could log your own caches as found. I thought such ability would've been prohibited by the website's code somewhere. Figured the Found It! choice wouldn't be an option for a user if they are posting a log for their own cache. Perhaps a change is in order?

There are cases when logging a find on your own cache is acceptable, especially when the log is not actually related to "finding" your own cache. :lol:

It's been brought up before that some people have had difficulty logging finds on caches owned by particular individuals, because those individuals will delete any log that they post. If you want to find those caches and still log a count, the best way is to simply log the find on one of your own caches, with an explanation in the log entry why you're logging the find, for what cache it's for, etc.

I recently logged a find on one of my archived caches. I'm nonplussed if anyone has a problem with it. It marks, for me, a legitimate find on a local cache that, for reasons I won't get into, I'm unable to log.

Of course, logging a find because you "found" your own cache is exceedingly lame.

I can either host an event or attend the event. Either way I'm there, but I don't get credit for doing both. One hide or one find for each cache.

I have been to events where the host did not attend. Last minute family business prevented them from attending the event. I think you should claim an attended for your own event (if you attended :lol: )

...some areas have few active geocachers, and caches are often plundered/stolen (Mexico City is a good example). Verifying that your cache is still there, and logging a "find", is a good way of saying "hey people, it's still there, get out there and look for it! "

Ok, but writing a note to say it is still there will be just as good and not inflate your stats..

But logging a note does not change the last found date so someone may see that your cache hasn't been found in over a year and not see that you just did a maintenance visit last week. Of course sometimes you might want to use an enabled log.

How can you "find it" if you already know where it is? Some people do it, but its not considered by most to be acceptable.

You say you can "use the stats". For what? To impress the ladies? I think you'll feel better about your stats in the end if you know your finds are legit.

I think the relevant question is "how could you not find it? :lol:

As has been stated before-bad form, but if you are so insecure that you need to pad your stats by logging finds on your own hides go right ahead. I do not judge you by your stats, but by your words, your actions, and your deeds.

I got asked this the other day, and didn't know an official answer.

because there is no official answer. Groundspeak doesn't bog everyone down in a million stupid rules that they can't enforce anyways and any normal person can figure out yes or no anyways. What's going to happen, you log your own caches and the geocaching devil finds you and dooms you to a million years of micros. Why is common sense so uncommon nowdays?

How about if I (Oatway) hide a cache on my own, but my wife (Mav) finds it some time later without my help?

My reasoning for counting it as a find is that to Mav, it is a new find, regardless of who hid it.

Then again, on caches where one of us has found a cache solo, and then the other finds it later we have just posted a note the second time.

I'm not one to really care about numbers, but I'm curious what people would think is the proper way to handle this, since I may be hiding one tomorrow without her.

How about if I (Oatway) hide a cache on my own, but my wife (Mav) finds it some time later without my help?

My reasoning for counting it as a find is that to Mav, it is a new find, regardless of who hid it.

Then again, on caches where one of us has found a cache solo, and then the other finds it later we have just posted a note the second time.

I'm not one to really care about numbers, but I'm curious what people would think is the proper way to handle this, since I may be hiding one tomorrow without her.

Customarily, yes, if your wife has her own account, then she would log it as herself.

The real issue is whether it feels right to you. If you feel right doing it, then go on ahead. It's just a game and do what's fun.

I logged an "Attended" for an event I held because it was a 14 k hike through the mountains so I figured I worked for it. Alot of the hike was new to me so I sort of "found it" as well as the others.

As for my traditional cache hides I do not log a find for them.

You had an event that required a 14K hike? (14K = about 6.7 miles)

You rock! I'd go to that one. (but I'd still log it as a note since it's not a geocache)

EDIT: Forgot to answer the OP. No, don't log your own caches as found.

Edited by Criminal

My wife logs caches I hid without her as a finds. Sometimes when we go on a maint visit, she takes the GPS and leads the way and I stand around and watch her search. Believe me its tough to hold my tongue when I see her standing right next to the cache.

Similarly, she hid her first cache a couple of weeks ago and if I find it, I will certainly log it as a find.

We do have our own accounts though. If we cached under one account we probably wouldn't do this because it just doesn't look right.

Are you supposed to log a "Found It" for each of the caches you have placed? I got asked this the other day, and didn't know an official answer. I never have logged any of my own hides as found, although I could use the stats.

An alarm won't go off or anything, but its usually considered bad form. As briansnat said, how can you find it if you know where it?

I don't know about that; I've read a few items about cache owners who couldn't find their own caches because of SCS ("straying cache syndrome," aka people not rehiding the cache in its original location.) I remember reading about owners who logged DNFs or disabled their cache only to have someone claim a legimate find hours later; I remember reading about owners who replaced their "missing" cache, soon to discover people were finding both versions. :ph34r:

But I agree that owners claiming finds on their own caches is bad form.

Edited by Skovar

I would not feel right logging a find for a cache that I have hidden. That’s just not right. :ph34r:

It’s like asking both of your parents for your weekly allowance separately. It‘s all fine until you get caught. And let’s just say I got caught. Now I’m waiting for my 3 year old to grow up and try the same thing.

:ph34r: