Rules, Who Needs Them?

Mudfrog

This really is a non-issue, when I look at this sport, I'm sure there are more important topics than double-posts. OP, I have some advice for you. I can tell by the way you posted this you apparently cache for numbers and undoubtely play this game to find easy "cache-n-dash" locales that would rack up your numbers, but you play "fair" and don't "double-post", my advice if this really "bothers" you as much as it seems, either double-post yourself to get "even" or blatantly, be quiet. These outrageous:rolleyes: "double-posters" are playing the game that they want to play, the game you want to play is to cache for numers too? Double-post with them! It doesn't bother me, I'm not sure why it bothers you, I really hate this thread to unravel anymore. This sport is AWESOME for the simple fact that you play this game almost anyway you want, and can percieve it as fun in your own little way, I particularly like hiding caches, some like finding them, some like to find them for numbers. Let people play as they please, and if you really have a "bone to pick" with some geocacher about "double-posting" bring it up with them, and not on such a public basis. Thank you.

Im sure there are some out there who could care less and never even look at their stats, but im guessing that the majority of us do. Why then wouldnt we want our stats to be as accurate as possible?

My stats are as accurate as possible. I have no way of knowing if your stats are accurate. Perhaps you logged one where you forgot a pen and couldn't sign the log or maybe you called the cache owner for a lifeline and when you still couldn't find it you left a replacement cache and claimed it as a find, or worse there's the one you forgot to log. I'll stop worrying about your stats if you stop worrying about mine.

Alright, usually I'm just a lurker but today I'm inspired to post. So, here's my two cents.... I find the joy of caching is in the journey. I don't look at other cacher's numbers as a measure of their worth nor do I look at my own that way. I also don't feel any disappointment over what's in the cache at the end. I feel blessed to have the health, time, money (well maybe I don't really have this one) and freedom just to be able to enjoy this hobby. I've had some many wonderful experiences along the way that have served as an incredible reward for my efforts. Take for example the freshly fledged Blue Jay that I hung out with on my way back from a cache today, or the doe who let me get withing 6ft of her. So, maybe I don't have high numbers, maybe I feel like visiting a cache a second time for whatever reason, maybe I don't log all my DNF's, maybe (HEAVEN FORBID) I leave a crappy trade item.........why would someone spend their energy feeling frustrated by MY experience? When did geocaching become a competitive sport? I think people should learn to enjoy their own journey more and spend less time worry about others.

hear, hear! B)

...i certainly dont like the idea of having too many confining rules...The one simple rule that i think would be in order is,,,,,

1. A person can log only one find per Geocaching.com approved cache!

Sure, at the same time, let's expand to include that you must log each and every DNF. Oh, might as well make it a rule that you must log each cache you find, too.

And while we're at it, let's say no one can hunt a cache until after the FTF has logged it. B)

BTW, I don't give a hoot who logs what, or how many times they do, or don't log it. :blink:B)

This really is a non-issue, when I look at this sport, I'm sure there are more important topics than double-posts. OP, I have some advice for you. I can tell by the way you posted this you apparently cache for numbers and undoubtely play this game to find easy "cache-n-dash" locales that would rack up your numbers, but you play "fair" and don't "double-post", my advice if this really "bothers" you as much as it seems, either double-post yourself to get "even" or blatantly, be quiet. These outrageous:rolleyes: "double-posters" are playing the game that they want to play, the game you want to play is to cache for numers too? Double-post with them! It doesn't bother me, I'm not sure why it bothers you, I really hate this thread to unravel anymore. This sport is AWESOME for the simple fact that you play this game almost anyway you want, and can percieve it as fun in your own little way, I particularly like hiding caches, some like finding them, some like to find them for numbers. Let people play as they please, and if you really have a "bone to pick" with some geocacher about "double-posting" bring it up with them, and not on such a public basis. Thank you.

You know, every week there is someone asking advice as to whether they should delete a cacher's log because they didnt find their cache correctly, or what to do when a person double logs a find, or that a cache owner allows multiple finds on their event cache. These things and more are evidently important to some. I only brought this up as an idea that i thought might help with some of these situations. I see now that most, at least the ones who replied in the thread, dont find it to be a good thing. No problem,, thats fine and dandy,,,case closed.

What irks me is when someone like you comes in and makes assumptions that are totally untrue and off topic like you did above. Oh, and here's your next smiley face to gripe about! :blink:

I particularly like hiding caches,

You account shows no hides. ???????????????????? Are you a Troll????????? A sock puppet maybe? (yeah I know, I have no right to condemn this person, just bringing up the possibility) :)

You are correct that this account has no hides. This is my team account. Another thing, trolls usually try to stir something up. My account of what was happening in this thread was just more of a moderate comment trying to solve a problem, I really didn't hit any sensitive subjects, and infact I told them to do what ever they want to do, whether to double-post or not, if they really are into "racking up the numbers" and that this game is about having fun. I get ripped twice by telling you people to have fun with this game, that's what it's about, fun, not numbers, just escaping from the world to have some fun. I also just requested they shouldn't have brought up this, in my opinion, "non-issue" to the public. And the reason I called it a non-issue is because stopping it would be a form of "censoring" which as you can see has destroyed many organizations. As long as no one is getting hurt, allow the game to grow the way it decides to. If some cachers decide to "double-post" and other things of that nature, it is their reputation on the line, and obviously it is something they want to do, just like you want the game to be more fair. No matter the decision, on the "double-posting" situation, someone will come on here crying about how their way is right. So, please, if you're gonna bring a topic like this up, don't call me a troll. I'm not the one who brought up a very controversial topic. I just addressed it.

No hate mail, please.

Edited by Team AlphaOmega
Without rules there is no control, but there will always be exceptions, for example if a cache is relocated and retains the same name.

I just logged a second find on a cache that was moved more than a mile from its original location. <_< It was obviously a completely different caching experience.

I didn't know a cache could be moved that far and keep the same name . . . but after going to the trouble of finding it, I was going to log it. In this case I'm glad the website allowed me to do that. :rolleyes:

Without rules there is no control, but there will always be exceptions, for example if a cache is relocated and retains the same name.

I just logged a second find on a cache that was moved more than a mile from its original location. :rolleyes: It was obviously a completely different caching experience.

I didn't know a cache could be moved that far and keep the same name . . . but after going to the trouble of finding it, I was going to log it. In this case I'm glad the website allowed me to do that. <_<

How in the world do you find a cache that has been moved by a mile? :blink:

...I can't remember what the general rant of this thread was and I'm way too lazy to read it again. How about a recap?

Desmond has a barrow in the market place,

Molly is the singer in a band.

Desmond says to Molly-girl I like your face,

and Molly says this as she takes him by the hand.

Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da life goes on bra, la-la how the life goes on.

Desmond takes a trolly to the jewellers stores,

buys a twenty carat golden ring.

Takes it back to Molly waiting at the door,

and as he gives it to her she begins to sing.

In a couple of years, they have built a home, sweet home.

With a couple of kids running in the yard, of Desmond and Molly Jones.

Happy ever after in the market place,

Desmond lets the children lend a hand.

Molly stays at home and does his pretty face,

And in the evening she's a singer with the band.

In a couple of years, they have built a home, sweet home.

With a couple of kids running in the yard, of Desmond and Molly Jones.

Happy ever after in the market place,

Molly lets the children lend a hand.

Desmond stays at home and does his pretty face,

And in the evening she's a singer with the band.

I just logged a second find on a cache that was moved more than a mile from its original location. :rolleyes: It was obviously a completely different caching experience.

I didn't know a cache could be moved that far and keep the same name . . . but after going to the trouble of finding it, I was going to log it. In this case I'm glad the website allowed me to do that. <_<

How in the world do you find a cache that has been moved by a mile? :lol:

I was with a friend who had not found it in the other location. She had the coords in her GPSr.

She mentioned that cache a couple of times and I kept saying, "I've found that one." But then I saw where it was on Mapsource on the laptop and realized I hadn't found it in that location. Hence the new search. :blink:

The one simple rule that i think would be in order is,,,,,

1. A person can log only one find per Geocaching.com approved cache!

Oh, simple, huh ?

What if both my partner and I have accounts and he/she spots it first, can I log it ? I didn't find it. (Well, I did, but it was in their hands.)

If I find it first, can they log it ?

Do we have to stay step by step together or race into the woods to be first ?

Or maybe 1/2 for each ???? very confusing...... Maybe we could have a tribunal which, would look at each logging individually and decided whether they are "legal"

finds or "shared" finds or what ever... Then of course, we would have to have an appeallant divison, in case of an appeal.... hmmmm

Probably wouldn't need a Supreme type court, unless of course, someone started the American Geoocaching Liberties Union, then we would need a supreme group to maybe decide for everyone, which could be logged and which shouldn't.

Hmmmmm...... Jeremy ??? :wacko::blink:

Might I add 2 more?

Rule 1, There is no CRYING in geocaching.... and of course the obvoius.

Rule 2, Let's keep steroids out of caching. I'm all for a ban on them... :wacko:

hmmmmm then again, cache(roid)rage has it merits, I've watch isita_cheeseburger and my GF Nancy pushing each other (in good fun) and running through the woods to get to a cache first.... quite commical :blink:

Edited by Iceburger

And I'm sure that Prefect Jeremy will not hesitate to perform his duties in an exemplary fashion. :lol:

That is such a kind post. Kudos to you!

BTW, you misspelled 'perfect'. :lol:

:lol: No, I meant Prefect, a sort of Roman enforcer in the bad old days.

I am quoting Jeremy as he stated in a post that he is. :lol:

And Joypa, think about how caches are approved. :lol:

And I'm sure that Prefect Jeremy will not hesitate to perform his duties in an exemplary fashion. :lol:

That is such a kind post. Kudos to you!

BTW, you misspelled 'perfect'. :lol:

:lol: No, I meant Prefect, a sort of Roman enforcer in the bad old days.

I am quoting Jeremy as he stated in a post that he is. :lol:

And Joypa, think about how caches are approved. :lol:

Let's see.....caches are approved.....through a listing service!